Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

This topic contains 430 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 8 hours, 36 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 431 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let me rephrase that. That have been quiet in regards to making “significant” upgrades. I am aware that my definition of significant may be different than others.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We agree they haven’t upgraded (for the current season in recent years). I just disagreed with calling them inactive.

BTW, Pham’s current on-base streak is 39 games. He was a significant upgrade… for Tampa Bay. 😉

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you want a brief sample of how our Cardinals stack up against other teams, check this out.

https://www.scout.com/baseball/mlb/news/computer-projecting-adam-jones-brandon-nimmo-and-aaron-judge-to-come-up-short/

Minuteman3
    Participant

I have to admit 14NyquisT that I don’t have a clue what those charts are trying to tell me. When I saw Hot Dog Contreras, Posey and Realmuto ranked above Yadi I decided that I was being severely misinformed. If you haven’t guessed by now, stats are not my strong suit and sabremetrics are the devil’s revenge in my view. Otherwise I love baseball for it’s entertainment value and try not to get too wrapped up in wins and losses and the reasons the scribblers assign to them.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just found it interesting and don’t put much faith in it either. My thing is show me on the field… not on the net. Missouri’s motto is “show me”, that’s me (but I also like opinions and lists). I thought some others might enjoy the numbers like they get into the “shredder”.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am thinking looking aroudn right now for al eft hander for the pen is becoming a priority with what the dcentral runs out there against us

I am nto sure we can wait for the AS break or for any of our guys to show up and become something better

Will Smith for Lane Thomas + Oviedo (if they want an OFer), or Gomber + Justin Williams (if they want a starting pitcher)….if they play hard ball…I might offer Ponce and Thomas + another lower level…but i think Gomber as lefty starter even for depth for us is pretty valuable

or

Adam Conley from the MArlins
    for
    Oviedo? Seijas? Junior Fernandez? someone farther down with some upside

I am really starting to think Conley is a sneaky good target to help our pen

even last year he was pretty darned good, this year not as much but i think if you put him in a better bullpen and on a better team in a defined role and i think he will shine…he reminds me A LOT of Andrew Miller, he has high octane stuff and a big sweeping slider, he was a failed starter but still has the stuff in there…i think he;d fit right in

add in Romo from them too if you want a ROOGY to help the pen with some veteran presence, and if we coudl get them cheap for the Fish to save some money you could do a lot worse….

sure we’d have to clear some space…but with both we can try to include someone from the 40man…or maybe someone transfers to 60day IL (Gregerson or Williams)

Hicks, Miller, Brebbia, Conley, Romo, Leone, Gant…pretty solid 7
    Hicks, Smith, Miller, Brebbia, Leone, Gant, Helsley/Reyes/Gallegos isnt too shabby either

early season trades are rare, but SF and MIA know they are rebuilding…and we can’t afford to keep dropping head to head matchups against division rivals…even now

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This ESPN article may require a subscription, not sure, but it is an interesting read.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/26554320/dear-mlb-teams-trade-rays-win

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is right up jager’s alley… Mookie Betts to the Cards?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Okay, let’s imagine a trade for Madison Bumgarner. Perhaps Gomber, Montero, Gyorko, and another pitching prospect. Maybe expand the if we could also get SMith or Watson. No matter what, the Giants would seem like logical trade partners. as they have left handed pitching we covet, and they are in a rebuilding mode. Even take a flyer on Pomeranz, which would cost significantly less in trade, and would have both starting and relief possibilities.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do you really think Pomeranz would be an improvement for the Cardinals? I would pass on him unless he was on waivers maybe, like Ross last year.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see Madbum costing anywhere near that cost for a half year. Montero or Carlson and a B prospect would be an overpay, but probably gets it done. Maybe something like Woodford and a couple lotto tickets for a less painful trade.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would hope an extension window might be included in trade talks with Bumgardner. Or you hold off, and hope for the same result as the Goldschmidt extension. The problem with him is that there will plenty of suitors, and the Giants can wait until the deadline.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At this point, Reyes could be available as part of things, as this is a huge year for him. Not going to say make or break, he was always off limits. His next couple months will help decide things.

As an aside, I think moving Reyes to starting at Memphis might give us another option. It surely is worth a try.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rumor has it Gonzalez is going to opt out of his minor league deal with the Yankees. With no cost other than salary, why not take a flyer on him?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would he have to go on the 40 man? If not, he might be worth a look.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The dude who wrote that SI MLB articles is taking this 420 stuff too seriously. Betts is a great player but no way should we give up Wong and Gorman. And Betts for Bryant? Really? Mookie Betts is 10 times the better player than Kris Bryant.

I have been preaching the Madbum trade for some time now and I love the idea of getting Smith also even if they are both rentals. I’m thinking Ponce, Adolis Garcia, Shrock, Shreve, and Mendoza for Madbum and Smith.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d put Gonzalez on the roster, and start him in Hudsons spot. Gonzalez had one really bad start, a really good start, and an okay start at Yankees AAA. Space can be cleared by moving Cecil, and/or Mayers to 60 day IL. Maybe Williams also, as we don’t know his status. Gregerson probably would need one of the spots.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GSCott

I dont think that is close to getting MadBum and Smith…even as a rental at the deadline big name pitchers and players get big prospects….all those parts useful but nothign spectacular…if you offer both a QO you get better back than that…

having said that…i think you up it a bit and it gets done…especially if you want it done now

after Lane’s HR and good defense to go with his last year and rising status…i think you can play him up right now…I go with Gomber over Ponce as he is a lefty and they are losing a lefty…Id offer Mendoza as i dont want to lose Montero or Gorman or Nunez…I might add in a guy like Ramon Urias or maybe a Kramer Robertson…I think we’d have to offer another arm too…Seijas or Oviedo woudl fit the bill but i think i would try to use Junior Fernandez

so:
    Smith + Bumgarner
    for
    Lane Thomas, Gomber, Mendoza, Ramon Urias, Junior Fernandez

I tend to always believe that the other side has to believe they “won” the trade

4 of those 5 guys I put in the offer should be MLBers… and 3 of them are ready to play now. Thomas and Gomber have good ready to go upside, Urias and Mendoza have upside too, and Fernandez is a bit of a lottery ticket but that arm is still good

the deal might be light, but i think if you offer it you would get traction enough to work out what SF really wants and how to mold what we have available…

Helsley, Reyes, Hudson, Gorman, Montero, Nunez, Knizner are off the table…. but i think we have enough left to offer several options for SF

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When was the last time the Cardinals traded for a rental? Bumgarner is going to try to get 6-7 years at $25M AVV. So he is definitely a rental. I don’t think this front office will trade for a player that they know they won’t sign. They value loyalty. They ask for it, and they give it back (re: Yadi, Waino, Carp).
    No way they trade for Bumgarner. Smith will be looking for big money, also, although after seeing what’s happening to Kimbrel, he might be open to an extension. Will Smith is posting some impressive stats this year… .913 WHIP, 2.55 SO/BB, 1.17 ERA. The Giants must be asking too much for him, or somebody would have acquired him already.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy was close to a rental. 6 months guaranteed instead of 2.

Significant trades this early in the season are rare. I think the Giants will hold onto MadBum and Smith until late July to try to get multiple teams bidding against each other. They will probably be successful in doing that.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see Helsley being the centerpiece of a deal offered for Smith, but I still don’t think our front office would do it unless they thought they had a pretty good chance of extending him.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Even as only rentals, MadBum and Smith would sure fill the Cards out. I just looked at stats for the Giants, they could use as many prospects that are close to ready as possible.

What about Lane Thomas, A. Garcia, Helsley, Ponce and E.Montero for both? Way to much?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even as only rentals, MadBum and Smith would sure fill the Cards out. I just looked at stats for the Giants, they could use as many prospects that are close to ready as possible.

What about Lane Thomas, A. Garcia, Helsley, Ponce and E.Montero for both? Way to much?

That seems high, at least to me. Four of those guys have hit the big leagues already and probably two of Thomas, Helsley and Ponce will be lineup regulars (only A Garcia is sure to not be, IMO).

Then your 5th guy was a full season league MVP at 19 and is starting to hold his own in AA at 20.

All that for two half season rentals. Even for good ones, that seems a lot. Maybe three of the non-Montero group and a low level flier?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

True, but thinking what another desperate team would give up at the deadline is what I was thinking. Leaving out Montero would be more tolerable for sure, but with the Goldy and Carp contracts done, I don’t see a fit for him. Also, getting it done now, vs July 31st would be a much better investment.

Side note, I might be to much of an advocate of getting a solid lefty in the rotation.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding Keuchel, Derrick Goold says in his chat ‘That’s silly to me. Overvaluing a draft pick. Undervaluing a player’. And that’s apparently how Goold explains why Keuchel isn’t signed. I don’t understand why some guys just can’t understand that 6-7 years at $20-$30M / yr. is just TOO MUCH MONEY. If Boras/Keuchel had been asking for 3 yrs with an $18M AVV, he would have already been signed. Now if somebody wants to argue that an offer of $54M to anybody for anything is trying to cheat somebody, go ahead and argue. I think that people who want players to receive huge contracts are more interested in punishing the organization for making too much money than they are interested in rewarding the player. I think the first thing to do is to get player contracts into a more sensible range. Then, figure out what to do about the organizations that are making too much money.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 431 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years