Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

This topic contains 247 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 16 hours, 41 minutes ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 226 through 248 (of 248 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At the moment Leone is the weakest link in the bullpen. If his struggles continue I would not be beyond sending him down to Memphis. Either bring back up Helsley, or add Jesus Cruz to the roster, as he gave up his first runs of the year last night, but otherwise has been lights out.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i was giving Leone a pass after we left him in to take the damage that one game, but he hasnt really recovered

Send him down get his confidence back up and bring back Helsley to take up the slack

I want Leone back, but i do think he needs to have some run out of the spotlight

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Tim Kurkijan says that the Giants will want four prospects for MadBum, if he is traded.

https://sports.yahoo.com/giants-want-four-prospects-madison-034040978.html

But the Giants are going to say ‘If you want our best player, you better load up with four top players, young guys, or we’re not dealing him.’

That seems like a lot, and more than most would be willing to give. But maybe that’s what it would take…an overwhelming offer. Could be a painful sumner for our prospect watchers, given how mediocre the rotation is.

I had suggested Hudson + for Bumgarner in the off-season, and I’d still be interested in going that route. Hudson, Thomas, and two low end guys for half a season of an excellent starter? Would hurt, but 2019 might be the best shot at a title coming up for this club and the F.O. knows their jobs are probably on the line.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Madbum but I’m not giving up over 10 years of control of Hudson and Thomas for a two month rental. He isn’t that good at this point in his career.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MadBum is no dummy. Put the perennial contenders on the no-trade list and he can extract more money when traded and be in control as to where he goes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is right Brian. The Cardinals could still acquire him but would probably have to sweeten the pot.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I just saw that on Bumgarner too. O’neill being traded for him straight up AND sweetening the pot should be avoided. Will Smith and Bumgarner as a package would have to gain the Cards interest in including O’neill if they are still right there with the Cubs and Brewers in a month or two.

In looking at it in just estimating actual additional wins, I would guess MadBum at 2 (plus a huge playoff bonus if they get there) and Will Smith at a minimum of 1. We’ve seen the last few years that it all comes down to a win or two at the end of Sept.

Bumgarner (add $1M “relocation” bonus) and Will Smith for O’neill, Helsley and Justin Williams enough or to much?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would send them O’Neill, Arozarena (if healthy), and Cabrera for Madbum and Smith. Maybe throw in Mayers if he is healthy by the deadline.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are in a rut

what trades do you do to fix it?

my chief targets are Stroman and Will Smith

but outside of the box, what about targeting KC?There is a lot to like about a couple of their players, I am not sure they want to move them though

Merrifield (for 2b?) he is a hitter, makes contact…the fans would love his contact skills
    Mondesi (for 2b? or SS, move DeJong to 3b?)…beast for speed
    DOzier 3b with power post hype prospect

Now this is a bit crazy…but what about Alex Gordon…for right now…he is not committed to playing after this season. has a mutual option (for like 23mil i think), but he is playign well right now, and we could use the bat..i know he is an old vet…but where else can we find a bat for cheap with few strings attached other than a partial season of contract?

Also Duffy is a lefty with a contract we could snag…and even Diekman is a good lefty from the pen

so let’s go BIG:

target Duffy and Gordon’s money as means to pry the other talent:
    -Duffy-15mil (signed for 2 more years)
    -Gordon-20+ mil (mutual option for 2020)

-Mondesi
    -Merrifield
    -Diekman

we gotta give up talent for all of this, but we use the checkbook to make it work…
    -Wong + half salary this year and all next (they get a cheap good player they have eyed for a while)
    -Reyes (high value young starter they need for cheap…future Ace they dont have)
    -Gomber (replace their rotation lefty and cheap)
    -ONeill…young power hitting OF to replace Gordon going forward
    -JMart…real DH for them…1b/RF for giggles
    -Genesis Cabrera…young high ceiling cheap SP or RP
    -E.Montero
    -E.Sosa
    -Oviedo

Then:
    -trade Gyorko for lottery ticket (to save money)
    -trade Ozuna for decent prospect (saves money as an aside)

It’s a lot…but we get a lot back

for 2019 we finish:
    Mondesi (2b), Merrifeld (RF), DeJong (SS), Goldy (1b), Gordon (LF), Fowler (CF), Yadi (C), Carp (3b)
    Bader, Wieters, Munoz, Edman
    Mik, Duffy, Jack, Wacha, Waino….CMart switched back to starting for 2nd half
    Hicks, Miller, Brebbia, CMart( until 2nd half), Gant, Diekman, Gallegos, Leone/Mayers/Helsley

-we lose Gordon in the offseason and replace him internally with BAder/Thomas/prep for Carlson

That’s a big crazy deal…but so what?

How about a bit more reasonable with KC though?

Merrifield
    Duffy
    Diekman
    for
    Wong (1/2 salary)
    Reyes
    Gomber/POnce,Woodford their pick
    ONeill
    JMart
    Mendoza

IMO Merrifeld (and especially Mondesi if you can get him with or instead of) is worth the talent we lose, duffy seems a quality lefty that needs a better team, Diekman is a decent lefty we could use to support Miller

To me of all the bad teams out there KC has the most dynamic position players…which makes me think they may be available…not to mention they have that elusive decent lefty for the rotation with control we dont have

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Merrfield and Gordon but they will be difficult to get. The Royals view Merrifield as their franchise player and Gordon has a no trade clause and has stated that he doesn’t want to leave KC. I guess he could change his mind though.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

So the Cards take on a bunch of money and a slight talent upgrade on the MLB team…for a huge amount of prospect talent. Am I missing something? Is one of those guys a star all of a sudden? I can’t imagine that group from KC being worth half of the guys we’d be sending over that way.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i get it GScott…but if they want to keep Merrifeld then get Mondesi, If Gordon wont come then so be it

I get them wanting to hold some guys…but i just dont see the window for them competing in the time they can hold these guys without significant money being thrown down

Duffy, Diekman, Mondesi would be fine with me 🙂

I;d also take Hamilton off their hands for Bader…even though i like BAder more….Hamilton as a pure bench OFer (even if high priced) is a true bullet for the bench….not with his bat…but with his legs…he is a free sac fly run if you can get a man on 1st with less than 2 outs, he can steal off any catcher out there…to me that is a fine use of a bench player, even if his contact skills arent great

Maybe Gordon would want one more shot at a World Series, which he wont get with the Royals this year…i doubt it…but one never knows

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think Merrifeld and Mondesi are very good players…stars even, and are very young

Duffy is a solid lefty for the rotation and Diekman the type of lefty you want in the pen

Gordon (if he would come) is a solid veteran playing well right now…with no strings attached

i think we need one or two more steady hitters for the lineup going forward
    i also think we need a quality lefty in the rotation and a lefty in the pen

I see what we are giving up as being good quality but all form areas of strength and depth in the organization…KC gets young good talent that might cost more a bit later and we get young good talent that is a bit better right now….we take on some money to make it more appealing

NJ315
    Participant

Free

If Mo trades Bader for Hamilton he should be fired on the spot.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have always been wanting us to get Diekman. He’s pitching very well. How about Evan Mendoza for him? Or if they want a pitcher, maybe Seijas, or Fagalde?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was curious about Diekman’s value….he seems wasted in KC…i don’t know how to value him really, but I think i could handle those 3 being given up for him in my mind at least

as for my Bader comments…i was referring to swapping them as a part of a larger deal, where the appeal of our deal comes from us taking on money…in this case, Hamilton’s, giving them back a similar type of player in Bader that is cheaper

For how we are using Bader with the OF of Fowler, JMart, Ozuna, Bader is a 4th OFer defensive help, with pinch running abilities, with a bat that CAN be ok at times…and in that case Hamilton is equally as good or better as a defensive player, faster on the basepaths, and adds the ability to steal bases better than anyone in the game… while bader’s ba may be better, the use of Bader’s bat is not his main role it seems…and in that role a n argument for Hamilton’s game breaking speed has value

trading them straight up was never a thought, but if taking on Hamilton’s salary helps acquire other things cheaper, I could be sold on moving Bader

maybe something like:
    Hamilton, Duffy, Diekman, Mondesi
    for
    Wong (and money), Bader, Thomas, Woodford/POnce/Gomber, Seijas, Mendoza

i feel that is still unbalanced, but the only way to get players is usually to overpay
    If Merrifield is their build around guy, and Gordon isnt going anywhere then snagging Mondesi woudl be awesome….slide him in at the #1 spot in the order and get the fans excited about old school Cards style baseball with a fast guy in the leadoff spot…

Mondesi in starting lineup and Hamilton off the bench would give us speed we havent had since the 80’s and improves our defense and depth at SS/2b as well as the OF
    Duffy gives us a solid controlled lefty
    Diekman shores up the left side of the pen

Mondesi, Goldy, DeJong, Ozuna, JMart, Fowler, Yadi, Carp
    Wieters, Hamilton, Gyorko, Munoz

I am just thinking out loud here folks…if you want to attack my ideas that’s on you, but a more productive and more fun means of DISCUSSION, which is the point of a forum, is to try to add your own opinions and thoughts instead of ONLY trying to attack and belittle others

NJ315
    Participant

Free

The point is Hamilton is not good. Bader is younger, better, and cheaper. Bader can run fast, is a plus defender, and has more power than Hamilton. I don’t understand what is the value Hamilton brings that you would even consider this trade. Baser OBP is .382 Hamilton’s is .302.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

so you must not read…i know i write too much at times, but it was pretty clear…

you only swap them as a means to take Hamilton’s money as incentive to make adeal, the similar characteristics of the players yet the difference in age and cost is exactly WHY i brought it up

NJ315
    Participant

Free

“I;d also take Hamilton off their hands for Bader…even though i like BAder more….Hamilton as a pure bench OFer (even if high priced) is a true bullet for the bench….not with his bat…but with his legs…he is a free sac fly run if you can get a man on 1st with less than 2 outs, he can steal off any catcher out there…to me that is a fine use of a bench player, even if his contact skills arent great”

You stated the above no mention of any bigger deal anywhere. Yet we were supposed to get that from that paragraph.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i DID explain it…after your comment…second paragraph
    “as for my Bader comments…i was referring to swapping them as a part of a larger deal, where the appeal of our deal comes from us taking on money…in this case, Hamilton’s, giving them back a similar type of player in Bader that is cheaper”

as the initial comment about Hamilton came in response to another poster 91263 where i was responding to that post as well GScott posting about the availability of th GOrdon, which was part of the further above message posting about taking on money of players with KC to help get other players we want.

So YES i did refer to the idea of taking on money plenty before…but i wasn’t talking to you…i was responding to a line of talking points in response to other messages…

so when i say “i’d ALSO take Hamilton off their hands” as you quoted…. the “also” in that statement must be referring to something else otherwise why include it no? And in this case i am referring to the other responses to my earlier posts about taking on money to help acquire other players…so the “Also” refers to not just a straight trade for Hamilton for BAder…but the idea of taking on Duffy, Gordon, Hamilton as means to take on salary to help get Mondesi and Merrifeld….and the addition of Hamilton in this statement was a means to talk about the similar characteristics of the players, yet acknowledging that Hamilton is more expensive and older and not as good with the bat…but Hamilton would still carry value for us in the role he would have with us because it would be more bench and backup defense work to go with his elite speed… so maybe go up a few threads to figure it out if you are going to lambast someone…. I am not having a conversation just with you…so consider other messages in response as a part of the discussion

If you arent willing to go back a few messages to see what the discussion is, and instead just blurt out whatever you want as if you understand what has been going on and misunderstand…well that is on you

And as to be expected…you attack a person for doing something wrong which caused you to do something wrong…as if it is some big conspiracy

yet, what really happened was pretty simple…you saw my one message, responded immediately without taking into account the above messages and assumed you understood what was being said…and even so, you still only decided to attack and criticize instead of actually having a discussion… you just wanted to pop in and say “You are stupid” to make yourself feel better or exert some kind of dominance and then jump back out…like a bully in grade school or similar

You dont want to discuss, fine…you want to attack and demean… fine… but i dont have to agree that it is my fault you are a bully….

A few of us were actually trying to discuss something, even if slowly…yet you swoop in and try to bring it to a halt without even considering other people might want to discuss

you are so tiring…i am done with responding to you about this… you can hate my posts, and me and how long i write…i really dont care…but i am going to keep doing it because i have every right to post here on what i think and want to say…and sure…you can pop in and try to stop it all, but look down deep and think if you are adding anything or just trying to stop other people…because all isee is you trying to stop other people from discussion….so bye

——

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

back to KC… MOndesi, MErrifield at the top of that lineup sure looked good today against Wacha…

I still would love to snag those two…and Duffy and Diekman

The better they keep playing the less the chance it seems like it could happen though…Duffy might still be an option i would guess…but the core of Merrifeld, Mondesi, Lopez, Dozer, Soler is pretty darned good… they hold onto Duffy, sign a #3 level pitcher and go big for an Ace, along with a closer and that KC team starts to look pretty good pretty quick

Keuchel + Kimbrel + another decent SP and you might have a playoff team next year in the AL Central which seems yearly to be up for grabs

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Giolitto from CWS? Any ideas?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Giolito would be a great get but why would the Sox want to trade him? He is one of the young pieces they acquired that they are building around as their core, along with Jimenez, Moncada, Cease, Kopech, and Robert.

Viewing 23 posts - 226 through 248 (of 248 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years