Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 2,201 through 2,225 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar, why Duvall?

He is far from perfect. I am just saying that if we can’t shop in the Pederson, Rosario, and Schwarber aisle and have to go to the real cheap bin Duvall provides a lot of cheap power.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I know we have plenty of pitching, but I am wondering about former Marlins pitcher Jose Urena. I am thinking he may show improvement by a move to the bullpen. And he can probably be had on a minor league contract with a NRI.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good call C27. It wouldn’t hurt to take a flyer on a pitcher like that. I don’t think we have too much pitching at all, especially in the rotation. We have several question marks.

Participant

Free

I don’t know what the Cards plans are any more than anyone else. But if they are looking for an outfielder and an infielder, then I suggest that they look at Haruki Nishikawa and Ha Seung Kim.

Judging from the hype that they are getting, (practically none) I’m guessing that they could be signed for 3 – 5 million for 2021. Nishikawa a little less, and Kim a little more, imo.

Nishikawa is an on-base machine (think Ichiro). Kim has power. What am I missing?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

nbr

i am ok with that pair, though i think we’d have to move an OF to have room though, just not enough playing time.

Those two combined with a trade for another IF or maybe an SP and that’d be fine with me.

You could also look hard at Sugano who looks like a nice SP

If the money is right and/or the contracts are low enough to be getting better value on these foreign deals i would not be unhappy at all to go for all 3, with our own Kim maybe we could form a solid destination for elite Asian prospects in MLB

Nishikawa + Kim + Sugano seems to check a lot of boxes

But maybe:

Kim + Nishikawa
    then
    trade Bader/Oneill/Thomas + more for Brad Keller from KC

I’d feel a lot better about the future with another solid SP (and young) option, it would make me far less worried about Waino after 20, and Mikolas level, and CMart or Reyes’ role

21 of:
    Jack, Keller, Hudson, Mik, Libertore looks pretty solid

foreign players seem like bigger gambles than they are IMO…and if we look at our Kim and Oh, and even Taguchi….the StL fans love there non-standard mold…i mean even the interpreter for Oh was super popular…

Participant

Free

Well, it seems like most posters (and media) seem to be talking about adding an outfielder and an infielder. So I just listed an alternative for each. I like Sugano too, I just don’t believe that it is feasible. Adding Nishikawa and See (and keeping Yadi and Waino) is probably all (if not more than), they will be able to do.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NBR

i get it…and i see what you mean..

However i am more worried about the infield offense at this point (2b and 3b), both Edman and Carp were not good last year and now they don’t even have backups outside of Sosa

to me…i like signing Kim + Cesar Hernandez (and Yadi and Waino, with maybe a 1yr SP for 1mil thrown in)

Cesar is a light bat, but we need a leadoff hitter and he can do that. He may not have a gold glove like Wong, but at least he woudl provide us stable hitting which Wong coudl not do.

Kim looks to have some thump and a bit of position flex and is young.

We need MOTO offense and a leadoff hitter….we have lots of OFs who can’t hit, but the team is not willing to give up on…SO fix the offense through 3b and 2b, and let the OF work itself out, and play stellar defense. It’s ok to have a few holes in the offense in exchange for defense, our team just has far too many everywhere.

an OF of ONeill, Bader, Carlson is pretty stellar defensively…offensively there is upside to both Bader and ONeill’s bats still and Carlson is hopefully going to live up to his pedigree

on the IF if we stay with Edman and Carp…well Edman got all the ABs he wanted and tried to be leadoff and it did not work…perhaps he is just a super utility and we shoudl let him be…and Carp…well there is only upside to his bat the next year because of how bad it was, not because he is going to get better…there is no future there. Also NEITHER of them are gold glove level defense so you get a poor AB and middling defense. Why commit to them? at least in the OF you have two gold glove winners working on their offense.
    Let Edman be a super utility and let Oneill and Bader be gold glovers with enigmatic bats and phenomenal speed. sign or trade for a leadoff hitter and a 3b with some thump and some upside from youth or pedigree.

Participant

Free

Hey Jager,

First of all, thank you for responding. It’s appreciated.

Second, Nishikawa can bat lead-off. His career BA is nearly .300 and his OBP is close to .400. He is also a base-stealer, a very good one. He has almost 10 years of data to support those numbers. What they do with the outfield to get them all sufficient AB’s will (as they always say) work itself out.

Third, and last, Kim can play 3B or 2B, and he has 20-homerun power. Also, he is just 25 and already has 7 years of data to support his numbers. I think of him as a mini Francisco Lindor.

Neither of them will be cheap in the long run (depending an one’s definition of cheap), but both can be had for a small amount for 2021. I don’t talk about contracts on this website, since so many posters rag on my estimates. But I will say that the 2 of them will get less (for 2020) than what they saved on KW, IMO.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But I will say that the 2 of them will get less (for 2020) than what they saved on KW, IMO.

It’s possible that you are right, and they could be good targets. I have liked the idea of going after Kim in particular. He seems like he could be a good partner for Carp and perhaps fill in for Dejong or Edman down the line as well. He won’t break the bank so it may come down to where he sees as a good fit. Mo’s comment on “January is the new December” doesn’t give me the fuzzies that the Cards will be in on many of the guys recently posted from the KBO/JPL though.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i like both guys…i do feel strongly that an OF has to go to clear up enough space for adding another OFer though, that could be a good thing as it could bring us something else we need…but adding another OFer not matter how good it is means Oneill, Bader, Thomas all have to lose time…no way they are going to add another without moving someone

not to change subject…

I have brought up Cesar Hernandez a lot lately…and while i greatly prefer Whit Merrifield…I think Cesar Hernandez could be a viable lead off hitter for the team…he is 31, but he can get on base…run a bit too…spotrac puts his value around 8m…but i wonder in this climate if we could get it lower per year but give the longer contract a vet might want for the stability… maybe 3yrs 15m?

I think he could start at 2b and be leadoff, even without adding Kim or another 3b, it woudl allow Edman to shift over to play 3b…and while he may be a bit long in the tooth at age 34 at the end of the contract, perhaps he woudl still be valuable as platoon or utility glove and bench bat…

I am curious on his fit per the others around…what do you think?

Participant

Free

Thanks for your feedback StLcard25.

Based on their history of good, consistent production, (Nishikawa 9 years and Kim 5 years) I believe they are good targets.

I agree with you on Kim. He has a higher ceiling, IMO. His numbers are gaudy, Francisco Lindor like.

But I am nearly as high on Nishikawa. BA nearly .300, OBP almost .400, and a stolen base success rate of 86.5% (33+ steal attempts per yr). 9 yrs in the Japanese League, and still under 29 yrs old.

Participant

Free

Jager

Cesar Hernandez is trending downward (2018 and 2019 0PS+ below 100). 2020 was up to 106, but I attribute that to the shorter season.

I think I would pass on him for reasons stated and he is over 30. Plus,the Cards have better choices, ie: Kim and Nishikawa who are both younger, have higher ceilings (IMO), and will be cheaper in 2021).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatarnbr1hawkeye.
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Isn’t Nishikawa the little guy who has So Taguchi written all over him? These guys need time to adjust to the velocity and just don’t seem to hit with any authority. The Reds are stuck having to pencil in one such example.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tsutsugo in Tampa batted .197, but had a bit of pop. Still, a .708 OPS is nothing to get excited about.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

It seems every year we spend this time trying to figure out who we might target and invariably there are a pair of Japanese outfielders we dream on a little. I can’t name one I regret missing on in the past four or five years.
    Still, I like some imports like Na because I want him to be Eric Thames. I kind of like Eric Thames himself for that matter. I thought he played right field admirably.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I heard on MLB Radio last night that the Rangers might be willing to move Joey Gallo since they are in a rebuild. He has two years of control left and is expected to make $5.5M in 2021. Would he be a fit for the Cardinals? If so, what kind of return would the Rangers want?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When TEX traded Lynn they received 84% of Lynns’ value in Dunning (along with Weems), by the simulator.

Herrera would be 86% of Gallos’ value, to follow the previous trade, and OF Torres makes it equal value. There are obviously other combinations to get to equal value, but that lines up closest to who the CWS sent.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d call the above return a best case for TEX. Since Gallo has an expected 5mil arb salary, STL may try to send Baders salary and Montero. Bader as the headliner would be 81% of Gallos’ value and Montero brings the trade to within 400K.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with your second proposal because I doubt the Cards want to let Herrera get away. I am sure Knizner would be available though.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Everyone seems to gloss over the unspoken fact that we could add an all-star left-handed slugging third baseman without giving up prospects or adding salary.
    Shildt just needs to embrace the voodoo magic and bat Carp lead off while wearing a chicken bone necklace.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually I think Carp should hit cleanup if he is going to be in the lineup. If you go back and look at his recent numbers that has been his most productive spot in the order.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I tried but can’t figure out the all-star left-handed slugging third baseman you’re speaking of Nigel.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Lol, Nigel. I’ve been saying the same thing in my head for the past week.

jj– he’s referencing all the comments from a few years back that Carp can only produce when he hits leadoff. Thus, if Carp bats leadoff… he will be an all-star lefty third baseman. 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Plus, he will vest for 2022. Not sure I want that to happen. Better keep Carp off of leadoff.

Participant

Free

Nigel,

What makes you say that Nishikawa “Has So Taguchi written all over him”? If anything, he has
    Ichiro Suzuki written all over him (JMO).

The left-handed-hitting Nishikawa batted .296/.419/.388. He also swiped 37 bags in 42 tries. He’s posted an OBP of .378 or better in each of the past four seasons while striking out in 16.5 percent of his plate appearances against a 14.3 percent walk rate.

Overall, dating back to 2017, Nishikawa is a .291/.397/.401 hitter through 2433 plate appearances. He’s stolen 144 bases with an 87.8 success rate in that time. Nishikawa has three stolen base titles, three Gold Gloves in the outfield and a pair of All-Star nods in NPB.

The NPB is not that far below MLB. Nishikawa’s consistency shows that he can (and does) adjust. He will find an MLB home and become more than So Taguchi, IMO.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatarnbr1hawkeye.
Viewing 25 posts - 2,201 through 2,225 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years