Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1,826 through 1,850 (of 2,034 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Lindor could get close to $25M if it were normal times but nobody really knows how the salaries are going to shake out due to covid. It will be interesting to watch.

Cleveland will not want to add payroll but if they traded Lindor to us for CMart and some younger guys they would be saving money.

If the Cardinals want to go big Lindor makes more sense to me than Arenado. Lindor’s contract situation is not nearly as complicated and Lindor would not block Gorman.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d more than welcome a Lindor or Arenado trade, but I’m focusing more on second tier additions that could better fit our payroll, like Segura. Even he would need Philly to take $ back.

Yadi’s free agency is a key in our $ flexibility for 2021. If he thinks he’s still a 20mil player, he may have to chase the dollars elsewhere. He may be offended by our FO value of him, as Albert was, when they set their internal salary numbers. I know he’s a legacy Cardinal, but I still entertain the thought he may be gone.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure that Cleveland will want someone like Cmart unless he has a bounce back season. I know we would like to cut some salary to take on a $20M+ Lindor, but I’d expect it would take something like Gorman, Helsley and probably a minor league starter for the trade.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“So, prospective Boras Corp. clients, ask yourself, ‘Does my agent do this?’.

Participant

Free

I am not a fan of Boras, but if I was an up and coming MLB player….. I’d want him as my agent.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t look now but the trade deadline is in 10 days. Will the Cardinals do anything?

My expectations are low because:

1. We have played so few games it is hard to get a read on what exactly we need.
    2. The Cardinals usually don’t do much at the trade deadline even in normal times.

However, if our front office decided to be a little aggressive here is a suggestion. Let’s call the KC Royals about a couple of players. I would assume the Royals would be sellers since they don’t look like a playoff team to me.

I would inquire about Whit Merrifield. He hitting above .300 as usual, is on a very team friendly contract, can play CF, and hit leadoff. Jager has been beating this drum.

And if we want to shore up the back end of the pen maybe we could have a reunion with Trevor Rosenthal. He has been lights out for the Royals sporting a .87 ERA with 6 saves and he is on an expiring contract.

What would it take to get these two players? I have no idea but it might be worth a phone call.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

Then again if Rosenthal is doing so well for them why would they trade him…

Participant

Free

What would it take to get those 2?

A lot. Merrifield alone would require a lot. Too rich for me.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My thought is that the Royals would probably want a top prospect and a mid tier guy at least for Merrifield. Rosenthal would be cheap due to the low amount of time you’re getting, so call it a lotto ticket I’m not sure what the Royals need so a couple of potential packages:

Merrifield and Rosenthal

For

Gorman/Oviedo/Ludwin Jimenez
    Or
    Liberatore/Torres/Alex Fagalde

Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t see the Cardinals parting with Gorman, Oviedo, Liberatore, or likely Torres unless they get really good, young talent in return, and/or salary relief for Carpenter or Fowler.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Me either, C27. I don’t want to lose those guys for someone that I don’t consider that sure a bet to be good for very long.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Then again if Rosenthal is doing so well for them why would they trade him…

Because they really aren’t a playoff team and he is a FA after this season so they might try to capitalize on the situation and get a good prospect or two.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My thought is that the Royals would probably want a top prospect and a mid tier guy at least for Merrifield. Rosenthal would be cheap due to the low amount of time you’re getting, so call it a lotto ticket I’m not sure what the Royals need so a couple of potential packages:

Merrifield and Rosenthal

For

Gorman/Oviedo/Ludwin Jimenez
    Or
    Liberatore/Torres/Alex Fagalde

That would be too much of an ask for me.

If I am not mistaken trades this year can only include players in the 60 man pool so Torres couldn’t be traded right now. I was thinking more like Merrifield and Rosenthal for Montero, Rondon, and Pages. That probably wouldn’t be enough though.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Merrifield seems to be a very good fit for this team. With the active and 40-man rosters in flux a 1 for three or four could happen. KC is probably only interested in players that can help them 3 or 4 years down the road. A young OFer would likely be included because Bader-O’Neill-Thomas would be competing for one starting spot. Getting Merrifield would allow the Cards to wait on the next wave of OF prospects. IMO none of them at this point are showing enough for what we need now

The Seijas move is an indication that he will likely be moved as Brian suggested. Since we are loaded with 3B prospects it could be one of them, or the Royals could want more pitching for the future. Was Oviedo showcased? He was recently added to the 40-man roster at a time when the Cards are looking to shed some players. I would hate to loose Oviedo but he would add a lot of value in a deal and would be the headliner.

I usually don’t play the trades game but with all the movements we will need to make as players return and the deadline soon approaching, I decided to have some fun and play along.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m assuming that Carlson will need some more refinement. He just isn’t ready for MLB just yet.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting thoughts, Ny. Thanks for sharing.

For those who know Merrifield well, what is his optimal home defensively? I always thought of him as a second baseman, but he has been playing a lot of right field. His profile there doesn’t excite me that much. Some work in CF recently, but it looks to be his third position in recent seasons.

The Cardinals clearly have a second baseman. As an outfielder, he sort of looks like what we hoped Fowler would have been – but Fowler is still here. And Merrifield is the same age Fowler was when the Cardinals signed him. Think about that…

For those who want to add Merrifield, where would you play him?

Participant

Paid - Annual

For this team in 2020 Merrifield would have to play CF. Is he a great outfielder? Well he probably isn’t going to win any gold gloves but his bat more than makes up for it in my opinion.

The beauty of it though is that he wouldn’t have to stay in CF long term if the Cardinals didn’t want him to. They could slide him into a corner OF spot next year if they found a different CF or they could put him at 2B if they decided not to pay Wong the $12.5M option. It gives the Cardinals a lot of leverage and flexibility. Merrifield is under team control for three more years after this one at a very cheap rate. He is three years younger than Fowler and much more productive.

Ny makes a good point about Oviedo being a target. I actually was thinking about that last night too. I bet Montero, Oviedo, and Pages would snag Merrifield and Rosenthal. Is that an over pay?

I also want to reiterate that jager has been talking up a Merrifield acquisition for a long time. I don’t want to steal his thunder.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A 4WAR player (avg) his last 3 full seasons, for 4mil AAV? Merrifield has crazy surplus value. You know what 4war costs on the FA market.

Even if we double his salary to account for that point based incentives structure, and knock him down to 3war avg (2021-23), you’re still getting 9war (72mil) for 24mil.

I don’t think I want to know what 40 to 50mil of surplus value costs in prospects.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be fine with acquiring Merrifield as long as they don’t overpay for him. We already have enough very good players and very good prospects. Besides, Mwerrifield should be starting the downside of his career, and he might very well start his decline as soon as he gets traded. What this team needs is an elite talent whether it’s by trade, free agency, or we just wait until we can draft and develop somebody. Also, we still don’t know what we’ve got with Thmomas, and personally, I’d like to see Dean get a legitimate chance before he is written off. BTW, Tyler O’Neill’s strikeout rate was 40% in 2018, 35% in 2019, and only 20% in 2020 so far. O’Neill has been hitting the ball this year. When some of those hits start dropping in, his stats are going rise fast. He looks much different at the plate than he has previously.
    This is such a funky, weird year. Let’s not crown it by giving up high end talent for a player that we can get along fine without.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Right on cue…..

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another guy who should be available is Kevin Pillar. I have always liked him. He is an elite defender at all three OF spots and can swing the bat some too. He is on an expiring contract so the asking price shouldn’t be too high.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The club’s Big need in my book is to find a bat that protects Goldy consistently. That can be an internal candidate or an external candidate. At the moment, I am not confident that Carp can be that person and Dejong needs to prove he can do it consistently.

Given this, not sure who would be available that fits that ticket. Arenado?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

The club’s Big need in my book is to find a bat that protects Goldy consistently. That can be an internal candidate or an external candidate. At the moment, I am not confident that Carp can be that person and Dejong needs to prove he can do it consistently.

Given this, not sure who would be available that fits that ticket. Arenado?

Arenado’s contract situation is too troublesome. I don’t see that happening.

Participant

Free

Rays need a catcher and an outfielder. Trade to them Matt Wieters and Dexter Fowler (and eat some cash).

Viewing 25 posts - 1,826 through 1,850 (of 2,034 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years