Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1,676 through 1,700 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

From today’s Cardinals Conclave:

Dexter Fowler is the veteran of the group. He “rebounded” from a horrendous 2018, where he was worth -1.4 WAR, due to .190 batting average and a .298 slugging percentage. He still wasn’t very good though. He netted 1.7 WAR, a far cry from the 4 WAR season he was coming off of when we signed him. (That 4 WAR season was the only one of career over 3 WAR and now is starting to look like a fluke.

That fluke season while he was in his FA year with the Cubs made Mozeliak grossly overpay him. Bowtie is foolishly trying to squeeze something out of Fowler that just isn’t there. I don’t get this at all.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Assuming no signing strategy change (quantity versus fewer higher dollar signings), would the Cards trade some surplus players that will be without options for International cap money for the 2020-21 years. We may have as many as 6 without options a year from now.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Urias claimed by the O’s

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals sign Brad Miller – MLBTR

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This article is in my wheelhouse of interest. Yep, 2022 is the year there could be some big spending but not before.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/2/13/21134036/the-cardinals-should-spend-in-2022

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While an interesting thought, I suspect we won’t see the Cards sign any of those big names. I could also see them signing Wong to an extension and maybe spending money on a couple of mid tier guys before then, meaning they’ll only have some change to spend on free agents.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Twelve players left from the 2017 club, that’s a lot of roster change. What they do between now and then will greatly affect the 2022 budget.

btw, from another thread, Stripling has three seasons club control. I didn’t care for 667’s trade but Striplings control does affect what we have discussed previously on a LAD trade.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals currently only have $50M obligated for 2022. Even if Wong, CMart, and Yadi are still here plus the arbitration guys there should be plenty of cash for some signings. That doesn’t mean we will but it should be available.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

They have plenty of flexability in 2021 if they choose to excercise it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They have plenty of flexability in 2021 if they choose to excercise it.

If they don’t bring Yadi back they would, otherwise, I don’t see much flexibility.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By 2022, who is likely to be the starting returnees? If we get good contributions from Ivan Herrera, Nolan Gorman and Dylan Carlson, that financial flexibility could be useful. If we miss on one or two of them and don’t find a replacement in the system, I dunno that we’ll have money to spend.

Ideal 2022 returning lineup…

C Herrera/Yadi
    1B Goldy
    2B Edman
    SS Dejong
    3B Gorman
    LF O’Neill
    CF Bader
    RF Carlson

Flaherty
    Mikolas
    Hudson
    Cmart
    Reyes/Liberatore/Rondon/etc

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Gscott, They dont have to bring back Molina and they dont have to bring back Wong. In that case they could probably sign Betts and stay under 180 million payroll (they wont though).

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Herrera, Gorman, and Carlson flop we are going to have to have someone play those positions. Yadi may be an option but it would be a reduced rate. Carp might still be here in 2022 but it would also be at a much reduced rate. His option won’t vest or be picked up. As for Fowler there is no way he should be on the roster in 2022.

I don’t see how there couldn’t be plenty of cash available for external signings unless Mo does some more weird internal extensions that none of us are foreseeing.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscott, They dont have to bring back Molina and they dont have to bring back Wong. In that case they could probably sign Betts and stay under 180 million payroll (they wont though).

I suppose they don’t have to but I would be shocked if both aren’t on the 2021 roster.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I enjoy looking a year or two ahead but the uncertainty caused by a new CBA after 2021 makes it difficult. Sooner FA? Sooner arb? DH?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see how there couldn’t be plenty of cash available for external signings unless Mo does some more weird internal extensions that none of us are foreseeing.

Or maybe they go 2015-16 kind of crazy and sign some mid tier veterans to bolster the staff or lineup. I’d hope they learned their lesson there, but you never know…

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Mid tier veterans should never be signed, equal production can usually be found from internal options or gamble with two wild cards for a year.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2016 thru 2018 we missed the postseason and I thought the FO strayed from their model and understandably took on added risk when acquiring. Just a gut feeling and hopefully we don’t revisit that scenario.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

We lose our #2 starter and not one desperation trade proposal to fill that void. That is a testament to our pitching depth!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here you go… 96 likes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That trade would have made sense before the Mikolas injury but I don’t see it happening. The Cardinals have made it clear that they are tapped out financially and don’t want to give up any more prospects.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, I agree with your second sentence/conclusion, but I don’t see how the payroll/prospect dynamic was affected by Mikolas’ injury. To me, this trade idea makes no more or less sense after than before.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we won’t trade for an actual need for the club, then why would they trade for a position they need, even it is better equipped to deal with the loss.

Our offense was bad WITH OZuna and JMart and all the same guys….and we take away that, and then pin all our hopes on old guys getting better, and young guys overperforming

What makes this bad is that it pretty much knocks out the possibility of trading for Arenado using Hudson. And while I was less interested in a trade that used Hudson to start I would have been HAPPY to have lost Hudson and had to replace him with who we are replacing Mikolas with now in exchange for what Arenado would bring to the offense

Arenado deal post Mikolas injury news:

Arenado
    for
    Libertore + ONeill + Knizner + Montero

add in another solid prospect like Woodford to get them to bring the money down a bit (at least in the first 2yrs)
    and somehow convince Arenado to give up the opt out

That would seem to deal with any of the issues about acquiring him, and while we would lose some very good pieces. None of them are irreplaceable.

Libertore = Thompson
    Oneill = the field of options
    Knizner = Herrera
    Montero = Gorman/Nunez/etc.
    Woodford = the field of options

Oneill would mash in Colorado, Knizner is a solid offensive catcher for that park, Libertore could be the lefty they need for the future, Woodford could be a solid backend starter, and Montero could be a 1b they need.

It’s a lot of CHEAP good value

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW, I agree with your second sentence/conclusion, but I don’t see how the payroll/prospect dynamic was affected by Mikolas’ injury. To me, this trade idea makes no more or less sense after than before.

I wasn’t really linking the Mikolas injury to the payroll/prospect dynamic. I was just pointing out that we could have used Pederson/Stripling before the injury and the reason why I don’t think the trade will happen is also the same pre/post Mikolas injury.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oneill would mash in Colorado, Knizner is a solid offensive catcher for that park, Libertore could be the lefty they need for the future, Woodford could be a solid backend starter, and Montero could be a 1b they need.

It’s a lot of CHEAP good value

If Mo offers that package for Arenado, Colorado’s GM would run to take it. That’s probably at least three starting players and some potential in the others for a guy who’s probably a 4 WAR player outside the friendly confines of Coors. How much money do you think the Cards would get from Colorado in that deal? It would have to be $60M-80M to make that a palatable deal for me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,676 through 1,700 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.