Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1,651 through 1,675 (of 1,963 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Fowler continues to bulk up and increase his strength. He claims to have made better strides this off season than last. It is likely that his improved hard hit rate was a result of his off season regimen. I see a world where Fowler hits 23 to 25 homers and gets on base over.360.

Participant

Free

That .360 OBP is valuable. Then throw in around 25 HRs and that is very valuable. Since he will be on the team this year, I hope that happens.

Participant

Paid - Annual

J.P. Hill did a piece for VEB today on his ideas of the winners and loosers of the off-season. He listed DeWitt as a major winner. Also take note of “the emergence of young talent”. However if they are too talented we should think of getting rid of them instead of paying for that talent.

“Improvements will come from within – either through hoped-for bounce backs from established players or through the emergence of young talent. Barring something unseen, DeWitt will see another 3.4 million paying customers come through Busch stadium.”

Translation: there’s no sense of urgency to improve the team.

He also wrote:

“The Cardinals have aggressively moved outfielders who have not performed up to expectations over the last few seasons.”

He should have added unless of course they are being paid mega-dollars. Right?

Participant

Free

Joc Pederson trade is off. There was some mutual interest no?

Participant

Free

Booyah, he was going to the Angels after the Betts deal was finalized? Did you see that was off?

Participant

Free

The Pederson trade to the Angels has fallen through and I believe the Dodgers have too many players on the 40 man now. So they got to be rid of someone.

Participant

Free

What would Pedersen cost in talent? They need to clear two 40 man spots so ML talent likely isn’t of interest.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree about non 40man talent to LAD, for Pederson, which also helps the Dodgers luxury tax total. Also means the acquiring team needs to add Pedersons ~8mil salary.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been a proponent of acquiring Pederson for a long time and have posted about it before, however, the Cardinals have shown no interest in him that I know of.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What would Pedersen cost in talent? They need to clear two 40 man spots so ML talent likely isn’t of interest.

I believe he’s a free agent after this year, so you’d have to think he would come fairly cheap. The guy they originally were gonna get from the Angels was their #7 prospect (they have a very weak system) as a utility IF guy. He has some ML experience. So something between the value of Yairo Munoz and Tommy Edman.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would give them Gant and Munoz for Pederson.

Of course the Dodgers already have two players similar to Munoz, namely Chris Taylor and Kiki Hernandez. They could probably use the bullpen help though.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I quibble a bit with some of this VEB writer’s numbers but the bottom line is similar to what some of us have been saying: Don’t expect much movement next winter either. The Cardinals are boxed in payroll wise until 2022.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/2/10/21128698/forecasting-cardinals-2021-payroll

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would give them Gant and Munoz for Pederson.

Of course the Dodgers already have two players similar to Munoz, namely Chris Taylor and Kiki Hernandez. They could probably use the bullpen help though.

I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess the Dodgers might be looking to clear a 40 man spot, or at worst be net even. So perhaps they’d be looking at prospects only for the Pederson deal.

Participant

Free

The Dodgers would want high upside guys not on the 40 man.

Gant is a player that the Cards definitely need to sell now and Munoz is definitely a “take what you can get” guy due to Sosa and Edman. Are there any teams that could use a back up MI and RP? The Met’s come to mind as an option? Maybe even a

Mets get Munoz and Gant
    Cards get Pederson
    Dodgers get two lottery tickets from the Mets

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LAA get C Martinez
    STL gets Pederson & Stripling
    LAD get LAA prospects as before

Pederson likely gets a Q-offer and chases a multi-year, stl gets a comp pick.
    We’ve got to address the self imposed budget.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LAA get C Martinez
    STL gets Pederson & Stripling
    LAD get LAA prospects as before

Pederson likely gets a Q-offer and chases a multi-year, stl gets a comp pick.
    We’ve got to address the self imposed budget.

I’d be so disappointed if that happened. Unless Carlos misses multiple seasons with injury that could end up as one of the worst trades in team history.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos is such a wild card. Closest I can come with budget restraints considered, and depending on whether Carlos is great or flops it’s a gamble.

Love to see Pederson bat cleanup, but we block at least one young outfielder by 400+ PA’s. Does increase financial flexibility after Pederson walks. Stripling adds depth to rotation. Hard to guess if we’d be better or not, depends on Carlos.

Participant

Free

Well technically we’ve got a couple days to trade Urias. I mean he fits the Regnifo mold doesn’t he and he’s not on the 40 man.

It’s likely a pipe dream but you have a feeling Bowtie and his buddy are kicking the tires a bit. Does make for interesting discussion.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pederson would not get the QO. If he did he would accept it immediately.

If the Dodgers are wanting prospects not on the 40 man then I am not sure who to offer up. Maybe someone the caliber of Kodi Whitley or Griffin Roberts?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pederson would not get the QO. If he did he would accept it immediately.

If the Dodgers are wanting prospects not on the 40 man then I am not sure who to offer up. Maybe someone the caliber of Kodi Whitley or Griffin Roberts?

I’d think they would want someone with some upside. Pederson’s issue is that he’s not good against LHP, so that dulls his value a little. Maybe something like Torres or Nunez and a lower ranked lotto ticket?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d take Pederson over Ozuna, so yes, a Q-offer candidate. Until we here that ownership is willing to bump the budget by 8mil, picking prospects doesn’t matter.

As far as trading $ away, we don’t line up very well in the 8mil range.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pederson is going to make around $8M in 2020. So a team would offer him $18M for 2021?? I just don’t see that happening.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pederson seems like a borderline QO guy. He’s been a 2-3 win player, on average. That’s pretty much the edge of the type of players that you’d think about offering that kind of money. Ozuna fell into that slot as well.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I disagree in comparing arb salaries (~8mil) to FA offers (~18mil), the most recent precedent of your comparison would be Grandal. He drew 7.9mil in his last arb season, declined the Dodgers Q-offer, Signed by MIL as FA for 1/18.25mil w/mutual option (Cots).

With Pederson, it’s power gets paid. If he matches his 2018 & 2019, i’d expect a similar scenario / FA salary, unless it’s multi-year, which decreases the AAV. Last season Pederson’s ISO was 11th in MLB w/at least 500 PA’s.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

858, Urias would go on the Dodgers 40 man if traded before he clears waivers. To remove him, they would then have to put him on waivers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,651 through 1,675 (of 1,963 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years