Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps more players will consider re-signing with their current teams since free agency is not working out so well for the players any longer. This might bode well for the Cardinals with Goldschmidt.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting perspective, gscottar. There definitely could be something to it. Why go though months of free agent agony? I imagine some players and their families would take it better than others.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’ve always have coveted Arenado. I checked to see what COL had in its pipeline and found two 3B candidates. ETA = 2020.

21yo Colton Welker their #2 prospect (#94 in top-100). He was a 4th rd pick in’16 and had a .333 (454 ABs) season at A+ (SAL)

20yo Tyler Nevin their #11. A ’15 CBA selection. He also played at A+ and hit .328 in 378 ABs.

They may be too young for ’20 unless they show MLB promise.

The thing is that we have our own prized third basemen prospects, so how would the organization deal with them. Montero (20yo) or Gorman may be something special.

Arenado would be a longterm solution. Montero, Gorman and Mendoza and Nunez would become blocked. I would still rather see Arenado there.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Arenado is a pipe dream even if Col doesn’t sign him, the Cards FO has proved again this year to cheap to pay the $$ to get a Super Star in FA!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hey, Onyx. Do you ever post anything other than the Cards are cheap? C’mon, how about getting in some baseball discussion! It is almost spring training!

14NyquisT
    Participant

The FO is holding on to the cash to pounce on Arenado. I pass on both Harper and Machado even if their demands are coming down to earth.

You must not forget the 82.5mil they acquired Fowler with. That wasn’t cheap.

Is this repetitive?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The FO is holding on to the cash to pounce on Arenado. I pass on both Harper and Machado even if their demands are coming down to earth.

Maybe they’re waiting for Trout or Betts instead? Or Lindor? The can is always able to be kicked down the road.

I do think 2019 will be a big year for the 3B position going forward. If Carpenter loses a(nother) step, or if Montero or Mendoza look like future starters, if Gorman or Nunez really take off…that could really play into pursuit of a free agent 3B.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rendon is a FA next winter also. His career home / away splits are very even.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would be nice if this unnamed team is the Cardinals…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well one saga is finally over. Will now be glad when the Harper, Machado, Kimbrel, and Keuchel transactions are completed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Way to go Dipoto….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reds taking advantage.

So first a vet utility guy lefty hitting with some power Dietrich gets a minor league deal with incentives if he makes the club

And now Supe defender Jose Iglesias on a minor league deal

We are pretty shaky at SS depth and Iglesias was a consideration regardless of bat

Lefty power off bench? Dietrich would have been a fine corner IF and corner OF option for the bench

We seem pretty hamstrung by holding so tight onto Jose Martinez and Gyorko

Had we moved one or both of them for maybe only prospects we could have easily replaced them with similar type deal and potentially enhanced our bench with more areas of need without the pitfalls of who fill them now

Iglesias we lose the bat of gyorko but we gain a starter GG defender to back up SS and a vet

Dietrich over Jose Martinez gives us lefty thump and covers more and better in the field

Plus this allows us to have ONeill up for back up of CF and thump and platooning

AND we gain probably some pretty good prospects for Jose and Jedd

We lose almost nothing. Maybe even gaining money

We lose not much thump with Dietrich and ONeill on bench over Jose and Guorko
    We gain better flex and a much better defending coverage and ability

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dietrich is a nice bat, but a bad defender. He is an above-average hitter, but not as good as either Gyorko or Martinez, IMO. His one advantage is LHH, but I don’t think that is enough to take a lesser player overall.

Iglesias is great with the glove, but has a very weak bat. Unless DeJong is hurt, he would not play. Would you rather have a good hitter or a good defender on your four-man bench, one of whom is weak-hitting Pena?

These are nice complimentary moves by the Reds, but they can make them because their bench was weaker than the Cardinals. The Reds get slightly better, but they are different teams in different situations.

P.S. Any signing of Dietrich was precluded by the acquisition of Robinson, whose key advantage is that he has minor league options remaining. If he does not make the team, the Cards have more depth ready when the inevitable injuries occur.

You start trading away guys just to “make room” and then a starter gets hurt and you wish you hadn’t made that trade.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am very glad to see Cardinals baseball is back. A couple thoughts for next year.

Arenado

1) With Goldschmidt possibly becoming a free agent, and Carpenters option, they could go after Arenado. If Goldy resigns they could buyout Carpenters 2020 year. If Goldy becomes a free agent, move Carpenter back to first.

2) MIkolas, depending on his 2019 season should be in line for an extension. Other than Goldschmidt, Mikolas would be the next priority signing. It would nice to have 4 starters on contract coming back in 2020.

3) Ozuna would get a qualifying offer, and most likely not accept it. Wacha, depending on his health and performance this year, would not get an offer, but given the icy free agency, could be an alternative to resigning MIkolas, and probably cheaper. Maybe 3 years, 40 million?

4) Knizner may be Yadis backup in 2020. An advantage having him, is that he can play first, so he would get more playing time. In fact, they could carry 3 catchers and he would not ride the pines like Kelly did.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dietrich is a better defender than Jose
    Iglesias is a better defender than anyone on the team or org SS especially Guorko

Guorko is gone after this year

To me a bench first needs to cover the positions for backing up. Pena obv for catcher is a must but the other two obv needs to back up are SS CF

Jose is a DH pinch hitter part time RF only. Good bat. No speed.

Jedd can play all over but only at 3rd well Enough. He will play 3rd on days Carp plays 1b for Goldy or 2b when Zwingli needs a day off

If Dejong goes down we have nothing behind him. Robinson isn’t anything but worse than Guorko at SS. He is basically the Guorko of the OF. LH bat that strikes out so much we’d be loving to have Grixhuk back.

Iglesias is all world at SS. His bat is not as bad as everyone acts. It has no power but he makes contact his speed still plays well enough.

The value of the good prospects we could get for Jeff and Especially Jose also have to factor in

Both Derek and Iglesias are minor league deals. We could have signed them and not even traded Jefd or Jose and let the cups fall

Left handed power and bat for bench was an offseason goal. Upgraded defense was a goal. Neither have been achieved at all save Goldy over Carp at 1b but probably offset by carp over gyorko at 3b. Fowler jmart less than oneill in RF.

If we lose DeJong like we did last year and the year before and the year before. We will have to go with FULL time Munoz. Whose bat is a little better than Iglesias but glove isn’t close.

We could sign these two and trade away Jedd or Jose (Jedd) and still have the guys with options in the minors

Dietrich
    Pena
    Iglesias
    Oneill

Solid bench with good power and defensive coverage with lefty and righty options. Good contact and speed options with Iggy and Oneill too. Backup for 3b is the only potentially poor drfnemsive backup position an dDietrich isn’t bad. AND we get good prospects.

Pena
    Robinson or Munoz
    Jedd
    Jose

Good contact and pinch hitter and power in Jose and Gyorko. Left hand pinch hitting isn’t really anything to think will be good with the best possible option of Robsinsons 50% k rate sitting down there. Poor backup at CF and SS. Ok backup in corners

These guys didn’t require MLB deals. We wouldn’t have to trade anyone to get them. And if opportunity is the deciding factor. The lack of our backup at SS and need for lh power and poor bench construction and gyorko being potentially traded would still motivate them

Yes. You trade them they are gone. But the replacements like Derek and iggy are good and won’t make us worse especially when factoring in the boost to the system of the prospects acquired.

AND we’d still have other youngsters that are already in our plans to be depended on

I see nothing so special about Jose it Jedd to make me feel like I we shouldn’t acquire good veterans that fit our needs to minor league deals

You can justify it however you want but there is nothing poor about us grabbing thee guys on minor league deals with invites. A couple youngsters getting a little less STtimw is hardly worth not thawing a real MLB SS backup and good left handed hitter

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, I am not justifying anything. I am explaining why these two guys don’t fit well on the current Cardinals roster. You don’t bring in established major leaguers on minor league deals unless you are pretty sure you will have room for them – and they don’t.

In fact, the free agents and their agents understand rosters too and the first thing they would ask the Cards before signing is how they fit. If the answer is “I don’t know yet”, they will just go somewhere else. Free agents don’t just sign with the Cardinals because they ask. They sign where they can play.

Your first roster assumed both Martinez and Gyorko would be gone but that is just not realistic. In fact, Martinez agreed to an extension today. Jedd has another year left plus an option year, and I’d rather have him than either Iglesias or Dietrich. I get that you do not agree. That is fine.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If so that would be a dumb move by Kimbrel.

I assumed he was just waiting on Harper because if the Phillies miss out on Harper it has been assumed they would pounce on Kimbrel and Keuchel. Maybe not.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hard to believe that a Jim Bowden rumor would be shot down… 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There goes that idea…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we may see more and more players do this since free agency has become a fiasco. Could impact Goldy’s thinking.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was coming to post the link to an article but Scott beat me to it. Nice deal for Nolan but our own Nolan may be manning the hot corner for the foreseeable future.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree, Scott. Lock up Goldy ASAP!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who says bad boy Boras is the only influential agent out there?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.