Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

This topic contains 193 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar mudville 10 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Strickland is a good sign because he comes with 2 additional years of control

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Does anyone else want to jump on the “Sign Gio Gonzalez” bandwagon with me?

1) Having at least one lefty in the rotation can help throw the rythyms off in a series
    2) According to MLBTR projections, 2/25 was what they projected and where the market is now 2/22 should get it done
    3) 30 or more games started in 8 out of past 9 years, every SP in the projected rotation has at least a small ?
    4) Percent chance the 5 projected starters are all healthy and ready to go to start the season is more unlikely than likely
    5) Additional depth not to rush Reyes and allow him time in AAA in an attempt to save service time

Please join me on this bandwagon?

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

3B Carpenter
    RF Fowler / Martinez
    1B Goldschmidt
    LF Ozuna
    SS DeJong
    C Molina
    2B Wong
    CF Bader

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1) check
    2) not a problem
    3) you have to love his durability (two short DLs during his career)
    4) check
    5) I’m feeling that the Cards already have the depth they need: Gomber(LHP), Gant, Hudson, Ponce and there’s Reyes. I will agree that Gonzalez’ MLB experience would make him top dog for #6. However, of the potential #6s we have, I am hoping that one emerges in spring training. I usually don’t like taking the ball away from the top prospects. So I would be one foot on and one foot off the bandwagon.

Gonzalez did finish up strong with the Brewers at the end of ’18…. pitching like a CY candidate, clearly adding to his value. Maybe worth a shot.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is Bader experienced and patient enough to take walks when pitched around in the #8 spot?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Does anyone else want to jump on the “Sign Gio Gonzalez” bandwagon with me?

1) Having at least one lefty in the rotation can help throw the rythyms off in a series
    2) According to MLBTR projections, 2/25 was what they projected and where the market is now 2/22 should get it done
    3) 30 or more games started in 8 out of past 9 years, every SP in the projected rotation has at least a small ?
    4) Percent chance the 5 projected starters are all healthy and ready to go to start the season is more unlikely than likely
    5) Additional depth not to rush Reyes and allow him time in AAA in an attempt to save service time

Please join me on this bandwagon?

I’m not all that interested in Gio.

1) While I agree, that lefty has to be better than one of the other 5 to make it really worthwhile. Gio is ok but I’m not 100% certain he’s better than Gomber a year from now, so you’re really paying for one year of security.

2) Two years is just too much with the depth of arms we currently have. One year at Max.

3) He has been fairly durable, so I will give you that.

4) What about the projected starters seems to indicate that they won’t be back for the start of the season?

5) Service time manipulation is a move for a scrub team like Chicago. I don’t see it happening with Reyes, nor should it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not opposed to adding another starter but Gio doesn’t really do much for me. If we are going to do it let’s go bigger and go after Kluber, Keuchel, or Madbum.

Or another way to help the rotation would be to add another hammer in the bullpen. If we could get Kimbrel on a 3/51 or 4/60 type of deal I would be all over that.

There is no need to do a dumpster dive when we are $45M under the luxury tax. We have had a good offseason so let’s finish it off in style and make it great. The division is within our grasp if we want to take it. The Cubs are financially stuck this year but they won’t be next offseason so let’s take advantage of it now. Be aggressive!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

5) today Reyes would not only need to show a healthy and effective ST, but would also need a DL or two of other pen members, just to make the opening day roster.

Reyes best case is an 8man pen and a 4man bench.

Miller, Cecil and Gregerson have significant salaries. (3)

Leone and Shreve have smaller Arb salaries. They could have been non-tendered, but weren’t. Shreve also has no options. (5)

Gant and Mayers also have no options and contributed significant innings last season. (7)

Hicks? Brebbia?

If Reyes gets optioned down it’s no different than optioning Brebbia, O’Neill, Munoz, Mayers, etc.

Maybe Gregerson does go DL, and maybe Shreve does get bought out for a %. Maybe Gant is needed in the rotation.

Reyes is no lock for the 25man. It can be about roster spots too, not just service time manipulation theories.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reds trying to turn up the heat with the continued aggression. Kudos to them but they still need more pitching.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Yep, if Cincy can take on JTR’s salary, Gio would make more sense, imo. Jtr makes 6mil, Gio might sign for 8 to 9mil, and Gio has the GB% for GABP. Keep their top prospects.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by jj-cf-stl jj-cf-stl.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Amusing tidbits from the MLBTR chat today hosted by Jeffrey Todd:

King James
    3:31 Will there ever be a year that the Dodgers “go for it” – getting close can be as frustrating as not making the playoffs at all
    Jeffrey Todd
    3:31 Hard to be upset at consecutive WS appearances and 5 straight division titles. I mean … what else can you do?
    3:32 I do think they can and should be a real player for elite talent. Wouldn’t be surprised if they are still hanging out around the Harper market. But it also makes sense not to “go all in” over the winter if you feel your team is a strong favorite to win the division … hold back some assets (prospects/cash) to utilize once you know more about needs during the season.

Chris W
    4:07 Do Gregerson or Cecil get cut before spring training?
    Jeffrey Todd
    4:08 Why wouldn’t they at least see how they are throwing in camp? I think the Cards would be willing to just dump one of those guys if it was clearly not working out, but there’s a reason they gave both significant dollars and it’s well worth seeing if they can make it back.

NL Central
    4:15 How fun is my division going to be? Looks fun this year!
    Jeffrey Todd
    4:16 The funnest in baseball! (On paper.) Unless you prefer juggernauts slugging it out with an upstart challenging them (AL East).

Hooterspfld
    4:31 Cardinals: Trade Gyorko and Wong, move Carpenter back to 2nd and sign Machado… World Series bound?
    Jeffrey Todd
    4:32 I don’t know, but I do think the Cards should be open to something bold like that. It’s a tight division but they have an opportunity to improve to the point that they’d be the favorites.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think the idea that many people have of dumping Gregerson based on 12 injury riddled innings is close to insanity.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Gregerson is clearly disappointing, but any value the team gets could be worth millions of dollars. What if he only misses a third of the season. A half war reliever is worth four or so million dollars. Maybe he could be Norris in reverse.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I certainly agree that you can give these two a chance during Spring Training. If things aren’t going well for either or both, its not fair to the team or the fans to carry their ineffectiveness just because they fooled Mozeliak into giving the big bucks when they just don’t have it anymore.

Roster spots are valuable, especially with a team that has significant depth. Cecil shouldn’t be pitching for the Cards if he is throwing like his ’18 season. Eat the contract and realize that acquiring him was a FO blunder. Same for Gregerson if he is out-pitched by others.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it is fair to say that February, March, and April are going to be big for Gregerson, Cecil, and Fowler. There are several younger guys ready to take those spots.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are several younger guys ready to take those spots.

That’s what the girl at the picnic said.

Apologizing in advance for that one.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sounds like Gregerson could open the season on the DL.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Probably out of context but still chuckle worthy to me…

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is from MLB’s most underrated players by position. The 1st baseman is our own Jose Gonzalez, the player that so many want to trade away. Well, this notoriety might cause some AL team to take a second look and send Cafe’s value up a notch or two.

1B: Jose Martinez, Cardinals

Martinez doesn’t have a set position with the Cards, but he can play first base for us. He earned the “honor” by posting a .309/.372/.478 slash over 915 plate appearances in his scattered playing time the last few seasons. Martinez had 1,146 Minor League and winter ball games (including 28 games of independent ball) under his belt when he made his big league debut at the end of 2016. So the fact that he’s up in the bigs at all is a testament to his willpower.

Though Martinez has major defensive limitations and is basically a bench option for the Cards at the moment (Marcell Ozuna’s shoulder issues could lead to more playing time in the outfield), he’s been a surprisingly productive player for the Cards when given the opportunity. Actually, last year, he produced an identical weighted runs created plus mark to Anthony Rizzo.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I, for one, am glad we are keeping him. If it were up to me he would be our starting RF on opening day.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Jmart was bait to trade for a good relief pitcher. It seems that teams probably weren’t willing to go for that, so I agree that keeping him was the best option. He’s an excellent pitch hitter and fill in OF candidate if Fowler is injured or ineffective, Ozuna doesn’t heal up fast or O’Neill can’t cut the Ks or is hurt.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s a bleak picture on our ’19 OF. It sounds like Ozuna is going to be ready to go by opening day and hopefully at 100%. Bader is in his sophomore season (you always have to watch those 2nd year guys), O’Neill still has to prove he is ready for MLB full time. Fowler is getting special treatment due to his paycheck and I don’t know what his chances are of returning to be even a marginal outfielder. His defense stinks and he won’t get back to being passable in RF.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I don’t think it’s too bleak. Jmart is the insurance policy. Bader’s defense is so good that unless he’s injured, he’s totally worth keeping in CF. Ozuna’s floor is last year. In right, you’ve got a guy who has been an above average hitter for his career and a young slugger with prodigious power.

I suspect the OF will provide good production in 2019. It’s beyond that the question marks come.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny just needs some baseball to be played so things won’t look so bleak. On another front…

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years