Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

This topic contains 888 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 1 hour, 12 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 801 through 825 (of 889 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who are some teams needing outfielders? Cleveland, NY Mets, San Francisco, Detroit, etc? Those teams may be interested in our glut of outfielders. It would be nice to upgrade the rotation, or come up with a closer to start 2020. Maybe aquire a lefty starter or reliever?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

What about Matt Boyd (3 years of control) of the Tigers? That looks like the best option for what the Cards need and what’s available. His ERA isn’t great, but the WAR number and K’s are very impressive. The Tigers needs are…. warm bodies, including OF’s.

Especially if they resign Ozuna, multiple OF’s have to go. The Tigers have Cabrera at DH, but JMart might still be of interest?

Boyd for O’neill, Arozarena, JMart and Woodford sounds about right, that might seem like a lot but that’s what it would take, at least.

That would leave the following:
    SP – JF, Boyd, Mikolas, Hudson, CMart/Waino/Helsley/Reyes/Ponce/Gomber/etc
    RP – Gallegos, Gant, Brebbia, Miller, Webb, Leone(maybe), Junior F, Cabrera, Hicks, Whitley, and the fallout of the 5th spot.
    OF – Ozuna, Bader, Fowler, Thomas, Garcia, Carlson

Not bad at all…..

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Is Boyd so much better than Ponc that we’d need to trade 3 good prospects and JMartinez for him?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think O’Neill and Woodford might be enough. His ERA is pretty high, especially considering he had a hot start with an ERA in the 1s and 2s for the first 2 months or so.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Fair enough C27, I’d obviously be all for that and looking at his 2nd half, that’s likely enough. Nyquis, yes I think he is, the K’s, the LH SP aspect which they lack, much more proven, etc. Especially if it would only take what C27 thinks. The most important thing is that he still has 3 years of control left or O’neill wouldn’t be involved.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I would rather try a flyer on Alex Wood. Coming off his only injured year, he might not take much commitment.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another trade chip name to remember is Sosa. He had a pretty good offensive year, and is a good glove, but doesn’t seem to fit into the Cards plans. Sosa has no options left next year, and has to stay in the majors, or risk losing him to another team for nothing.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Makes sense to trade Sosa. But they ought to get a middle infielder back who still has options,IMO. We don’t have much middle infield depth in the system.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Is there any chance the Nats don’t resign Rendon? Not having Carp (not tradeable) on the books and trading CMart (could get good prospects back) would be close to what Rendon will get next year…. 🙁

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

27, VEB did an analysis an determined that Sosa should qualify for a 4th option year (an obscure rule that applies usually to young latin players put on the 40 man roster at a young age like Sosa was).

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Rendon will be way beyond our price range.

I think the best way to replace Ozuna’s production next year is to sign Moustakas. He puts up similar power numbers as Ozuna but will be cheaper and is another LH bat for the lineup. We can get a draft pick for losing Ozuna but wouldn’t have to surrender one for signing Moustakas. Win win. I know I am the only person on this board that likes Moose but I am not going to surrender on that one. The Brewers got a steal.

Carp and Edman would be good utility players. They both can play multiple IF positions and maybe corner OF in a pinch. Between rest days and injuries they would get enough AB’s to be useful.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Edman should be an everyday player.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He could play almost everyday at multiple positions if Shildt plays it right. He also could be the everyday 2B in 2021 if Wong’s option is not exorcised. Having said that I think Wong has been our best position player this year and probably best player on the whole team. Either him or Flaherty.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 22 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman should NOT be an everyday player. His bat has been around league average and his skill set profiles as either a 2bman or a super sub. He doesn’t profile as an everyday starting 3bman in an ideal lineup. He may be an everyday player on this Cardinals team until Carpenter’s bat wakes up or until we find an ideal 3Bman. Then he should be a backup player.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Obviously you are not watching the same Cardinal team as I am. Tommy Edman absolutely should be in the line-up on a regular basis. He makes this team go.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC, interesting that you brought up 4th year options. I posted a thread with 4th year option rules. Check it out. I don’t believe Sosa would qualify. I believe the only player that might is Adolis Garcia. I thought the first qualifier is less than 5 pro years. Maybe Brian can clarify to be sure.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Edman should NOT be an everyday player. >

In one word: DISAGREE.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This year, and for this Cardinals team, Edman has been an everyday player since he got called up.IMO, he deserves to be an everyday player. He has been instrumental in several of our most recent wins. If Elehuris Montero shows he’s ready next spring, that could change.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Fortunately, the only one that matters, Mike Shildt agrees with me on Edman.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Elehuris Montero shows he’s ready next spring, that could change.

Montero hasn’t even made it AAA yet after a disappointing 2019. He still has some proving to do.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Edman is electric. He brings a high energy level and enthusiasm not evident in some of our regulars. I agree with the Edman as an every day player crowd until somebody better shows up.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2 of the 4 that reacted to my earlier post re-enforced the point that I made: he may be a regular on this Cardinals team but once a true 3bman is ready, he should NOT be a regular. Heck, he should not be a regular if Carpenter gets his bat back. He is a spark plug but he is not extraordinary. He is slightly below average with the bat.

And there is no reason he should be a regular in the OF.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 13 hours ago by Avatar forsch31.
    CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Edman is not a 3B on a championship caliber team like the Dodgers, Yankees or Astros. He’d be a great backup MI, but if they go into 2020 with him as the starter at 3B, they don’t care about winning.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That is ridiculous…he is one of the main reasons we are winning.

Viewing 25 posts - 801 through 825 (of 889 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years