Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

This topic contains 684 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 13 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 685 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think they’ll make a realistic offer for Will Smith. But if it gets to be a bidding war, they will quiet down.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hmmmm….. vet players are Carp, Molina, Fowler, Goldschmidt, Wainwright, Mikolas and CMart. Is the production we can expect from this group enough to win the division this season? And what about going forward?

I’m still thinking that somehow we win the NLC ’19.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love that optimism, Ny. Lets hold onto it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

90% of Cards fans are not happy with the trade deadline.

The 10% that are must be on this board.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/8/9/20728151/st-louis-cardinals-fan-survey-mlb-2019-trade-deadline

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Ahh yes, polls that staple of our life that are never wrong – NOT. Reminds me of polls of RV owners about Camping World – about the same as the Cardinal poll but somehow the business survives and does so quite well.

As for political polls – we would be calling Hillary Clinton madam President if they were correct.

And somehow on a baseball poll I would like to know the number and makeup of those sampled. If it was Viva El Birdos I would think it is those who are deep into Cardinal operations and who are the constant whiners. Sorry but that’s my view. If you think that any sample for polling is representative of the 46K plus who attended the last 3 Cubs games then you are just delusional. In short the poll you cite is worthless as having more than an incremental impact on Cardinal operations.

I see polls every day where the sample size is 1000 or less and that is supposed to represent 330 million Americans. Living in fly over country I can say that in all of my adult years I have NEVER been contacted on any type of poll. But I do see them printed out on websites inviting participation. Those kind of polls tend only to attract the negative views. Again, JMHO.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MM3, I had already penciled you in as one of the 10%. :o)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps Sosa and Garcia for Duffy and a lefty reliever, or a lefty reliever prospect, although that we probably wouldn’t need to give both prospects, or they include a better prospect or player.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I just looked at the list of FA’s for 2020, and there aren’t many realistic upgrades out there. Cole would obviously be the ace that the team is lacking, and Rendon would be an obvious 3B and lineup upgrade, but I’d put it at .00001% that they will pony up for either.

They need a LHSP that eats a lot of innings and/or a true ace. I don’t see any other options that fit both other than MadBum, and A) don’t see him signing in STL and B) don’t see the Cards beating out other bidders.

Gio Gonzalez – Lefty, Likely not going to break the bank
    Dallas Keuchel – Lefty, and a fresh arm
    Zach Wheeler – High upside righty
    Alex Wood – Lefty, decent career numbers
    Cole Hamels – Lefty, shorter deal?

Any interest or chance at any of those guys by Mo?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be interested in Keuchel or Hamels on short term deals but I doubt we make it happen. Yes I know Hamels got hammered last night but he has been pretty good for the Cubs overall. Madbum would be good too but he will be out of our price range.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 20 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see them finishing second for Cole. I’d guess the Yankees will be aggressive in pursuing him as may the the Red Sox. Who knows…maybe Cole will prefer small town Midwest like he had in Pittsburgh and like St Louis? Ha. I do think he’s the kind of pitcher they need. He could be the Waino/Carp of this generation of Cardinals. I’d say maybe there’s a 5% chance of him coming to St Louis.

Otherwise I think Wheeler, Madbum, Kuechel, Wood, Hamels, Gio are the most likely in that order. I wouldn’t personally go any past Madbum on the last. I’ll take Gomber to match or beat the output of each in the next 3 years unless his arm is shot. They’ll sign someone though, not sure who.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Not a lot of good answers. Wood has big downside risk with a ceiling that doesn’t scream come get me. Cards better hope they don’t have bad luck with pitcher injuries or it could be ugly.

I heard Heyman today put the cubs and Cards in a group with the Angels, Yankees, Giants, and Rangers as teams that will be looking at Cole. Fat chance, I know.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gerrit Cole grew up about 10 minutes away from Angels stadium. I would consider them a strong contender for his services along with the other California teams and the Yankees.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I don’t know what Hamels contract is with the Cubs but he has Missouri connections. I think his wife is from Springfield and they had some sort of charity fund and possibly an investment fund here a couple of years ago. They had a multi-million dollar home on Table Rock Lake in the Ozarks (West Branson) and tried to sell it to a buyer who wanted to turn it into some sort of resort but the county turned it down so he GAVE IT AWAY to a charity named Camp Barnabas about a year or two ago. I doubt he would turn down a St Louis contract if it was attractive enough.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Where did Scherzer grow up, again? 😉 Seriously, if the Yankees decide they really want one of these guys, they will find a way.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No doubt the Yankees can get whoever they want but I would think the Angels would like to capitalize on having Mike Trout someday before he retires and what they need is pitching so they might as well go after the local guy.

As for Scherzer, I have never gotten the impression that the Cardinals went after him that hard so I don’t know if he ever got the opportunity to turn down St. Louis or not. In fact some of the Cardinal brass have even acknowledged in the past that Scherzer was a missed opportunity.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 18 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 5 days, 18 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what Hamels contract is with the Cubs but he has Missouri connections

Hamels is a free agent after this season.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where did Scherzer grow up, again? 😉 Seriously, if the Yankees decide they really want one of these guys, they will find a way.

Likely true, yes. It would be nice to just once have a prime free agent go to the Cards without the “outbid by the big market team” story having to be rehashed. The Cards could easily afford stupid money for Cole if they wanted to, as well.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No doubt the Yankees can get whoever they want but I would think the Angels would like to capitalize on having Mike Trout someday before he retires and what they need is pitching so they might as well go after the local guy.

It seems crazy that the Angels have a lower payroll than the Cards this year. That will change as they’re estimated near $200M for next year (weirdly they have an estimated $200Mish payroll for three years out too). It would be ironic if the Pujols deal keeps them from signing a marquee free agent. They are also very far from being truly competitive although if Ohtani comes back 100% and they can sign Cole, maybe they inch closer to the As and Astros.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Cole is exactly what they need, plugging him in as the #1 with JF, Hudson and Mikolas behind him makes it a great rotation, but unless they can get rid of any combination of two of Carp, Fowler, CMart or Mikolas, I just don’t see them going over their “comfort level” and will look to be “opportunistic” if they do add someone.

After thinking about it a bit, Hamels is likely the best choice out of that group, it’s a happy medium/opportunistic possibility. On a two year deal with a vesting option, it’s limited risk and they can milk the last bit of value out of him. 150IP from a solid lefty would be a big upgrade with so many unknowns. Keuchel will likely want to many years.

I wonder if something could be worked out for Carp and another piece for Kyle Seager (who is actually good at 3B). The money they are owed the next two years is very similar, the bats aren’t that different, but being able to be comfortable plugging Seager in at 3rd and having a plus glove and a decent bat hitting 6-7 would be a big plus.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seager has been a worse defender than Carp by DRS each of the last three years. He’s also never had an OPS higher at any point in his career, although this year may be a first. I’m not certain he’s an upgrade at this point, TBH.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No way would I want Seager. He has a clause in his contract that makes his option automatic if he is traded so he would be owed big money for three years after this one and he isn’t much of a better player than Carp if you can believe it.

As for the Angels they have been burned in free agency by Wilson, Hamilton, and Pujols in recent years so they have been swimming in the shallow end of the free agency pool lately but I think Arte Moreno will open the checkbook for Cole.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for the Angels they have been burned in free agency by Wilson, Hamilton, and Pujols in recent years so they have been swimming in the shallow end of the free agency pool lately but I think Arte Moreno will open the checkbook for Cole.

Possibly, but are they willing to pay the luxury tax and potentially cost themselves more than just money as well? I guess they could but I’d still place the Yankees as the frontrunners. If I was the Cards, I’d start with Scherzer’s contract as an offer and go from there. If it goes over $35M a year then maybe I’d bow out, but hey…that’s two mediocre long term deals that Mo can’t give out if they have it tied into one player.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I did not realize that Seager had that clause in his contract, that does change my mind on being a good flip. But, it doesn’t change my mind that I’d still rather have him over Carp moving forward.

I typically support the metrics argument, and they can determine what they want on their gloves, but if you watch Carp and more importantly his arm, I’d disagree with the fact that they are anywhere close to even defensively (at 3B). Was that a comparison of just Carp stats at 3B? Or did 1B, etc leak into it?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Possibly, but are they willing to pay the luxury tax and potentially cost themselves more than just money as well?

The Angels currently have $116M in obligations for 2020 before arbitration and minimum salary players are added. They are nowhere close to the luxury tax. They could afford Cole, Keuchel, and Hamels if they wanted to.

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 685 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years