Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

The Card’s lineup is still mediocre. If the “will figure it out” guys can actually figure it out we can go places. If all three take off… watch out Cubs and Brewers. If two, play-off spot is in sight. One or none will leave us about where we are 3rd or even 4th place is our fate.

It will be difficult to upgrade our offense as thej points out. Ozuna’s spot will open up in ’20, other than that, what you see is what we got. I can’t see the FO pulling off a trade or acquire an upgrade anywhere this season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I totally agree with jager and Ny in their analysis. We need offensive help but we have totally boxed our self in with bad contracts and unnecessary extensions. Like jager said, it may not be true but sometimes it is tempting to think that these internal extensions are used to say to the fans “look at our big payroll and how much we are spending” but in reality they aren’t making the team that much better.

Regardless, if we are boxed in on offensive upgrades then we really need to get some pitching help. I like some of our pitchers in Memphis but are they really going to help us make the playoffs this year or are they just a band aid? If CMart could transition to the rotation I would try to trade for a lockdown reliever. If not then we need to trade for an ace for the rotation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26908589/moves-rest-nl-central-keep-cubs

St. Louis Cardinals: The Cardinals are eighth in the NL in runs per game and seventh in runs allowed per game. As suggested by their 30-29 record and plus-16 run differential, the Cardinals are middle of the pack in offense, middle of the pack in starting pitching and middle of the pack in the bullpen. This has kind of been the issue with the Cardinals the past three years as they’ve missed the postseason: They never have any huge weaknesses, but they haven’t had enough big positives to reach October.

Really, the Cardinals’ best hope is to have their best players perform better: Matt Carpenter is hitting a lukewarm .225/.337/.402 and Paul Goldschmidt is at .271/.359/.449, below his usual level. Miles Mikolas hasn’t been the same guy as last season, with a 4.41 ERA this season. Jordan Hicks and Andrew Miller haven’t been lights-out, as anticipated. The rotation coughed up way too many home runs in April but was better in May. The return of Carlos Martinez will help the bullpen, and I’m still expecting Jack Flaherty to go on a dominant run.

Possible targets: Pitching … of some sort. I would tend to think a starter is more likely — I mean, a bullpen with Hicks, Martinez, Miller, John Gant (who has been lights-out) and John Brebbia should be good enough. Here’s a wild thought: If Carpenter continues to struggle and the Cardinals are still close in July AND the Nationals continue to falter, how about going after Anthony Rendon and making Carpenter a utility guy down the stretch? The Cardinals do have some pitching depth and have a couple minor league third-base prospects who should interest the Nationals.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rendon would be nice and all, but he will require too much

I think we target Scherzer if we are going to deal with the Nats…

Swing a Merrifeld + Diekman deal with the Royals

He doesnt play 3b, but he is good at 2b and all OF positions, even if CF isnt his best.
    OF or 2b does look like the one place where we COULD upgrade….even though Wong’s defense is pretty impressive without the hitting…

Perhaps moving JMart to the AL (KC) along with ONeill….then maybe a Fowler dump (CLE?) makes the spots open up

Scherzer (expect Nats to pick up some money, but we dont hesitate to add more prospects to get more off the contract)
    for
    Woodford/Ponce/Gomber, Montero, Helsley
    2 top pieces and a goof rotation ready arm, add in another piece if need be…maybe Conner Capel puts it over the top
    -i also wonder if Reyes + Montero would be enough for Sherzer

Merrifield + Diekman
    for
    JMart, ONeill/Thomas, Mendoza, Ponce/Gomber/Woodford

Fowler plus eat solid amount of money
    for
    25-35 range CLE prospect

Gyorko
    for
    25-30 range NYY prospect

Merrifield, DeJong, Goldy, Ozuna, Carp, Yadi, Wong, Bader
    -Wieters, Munoz, Edman, Oneill/Thomas
    Scherzer, Jack, Mik, 2 of Hudson/Waino/Reyes
    -Hicks, CMart, Miller, Diekman, Gant, Brebbia, Gallegos, Waino/Reyes/Hudson

Merrifeld gives us a better more traditional leadoff hitter with some wheels
    Carp moves down into RBI provider instead of table setter
    Wong and Bader provide spark at the 7-8 and their defense is top
    The bench loses a little thump, but becomes more versatile and has better options for utilizing talent in AAA
    Merrifeld versatility for 2b gives us the ability to stack righties against lefties with ONeill in OF and Whit at 2b without sacrificing defense

Scherzer provides the stopper and Ace we dont have
    Cmart staying in pen gives us better set up
    Diekman gives strikeout lefty to complement Miller
    Limit innings on Hudson and/or Reyes an even Waino moving one to the pen

We lose some very good prospects
    We move on from Fowler even if we have to eat a little money
    We lose a very nice contract and hitter in JMart
    We hold onto most of top prospects in areas we need
    We still leave open the possibility of Ozuna returning without further blocking Carlson or other young OFers

It’s definitely a few moves…and we definitely take on some money…but the team gets better in all aspects, except potentially the farm DEPTH…not that we gut it, we just remove some of the depth which can at times not be worth having if we dont have a way of rotating them in

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, heads up that there is a Keuchel thread already since he has been linked to the Cards.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

if they are HOPING for everyone to figure it out…and that is your only path to success…that is just a difficult thing to tell your fans…

either trade your assets and tear it down… including coaches
    or be aggressive with your talent and trade young and old to bring in a new look

this look isnt working and has no flexibility for change…you have to FORCE the change…and that is the role of the FO…. Shildt obviously isnt going to do anything but look at the back of baseball cards for what the players did before to put his hopes on a turnaround….

and i get it…that is why the players like him…if they arent hitting he believes in them….and gives them shots….

Matheny did that for a while, but as he felt the pressure of the season and the fans he swapped guys in and out all the time…and the vets didnt like it…

if you arent producing then you have to change something…the team isnt hitting…saying they have to “execute better” ad nauseum after every game is tiring and trite…

they have to hit..or they need to sit…and if they dont want to sit because they arent performing…then they should be gone…plain and simple

same goes for the coaches…what you are doing isnt working…do somethign different that produces changes or the decisions will be made for you by the FO

I like the FO…but they are far too casual about what 4yrs of middling play will do to the fans…as well as the potential to attract Free Agents…riding the middle works well when your team is clicking…

but the team is not clicking…and sometimes you have to turn it off and turn it on again…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s time to examine some other options, and move on from Wacha. He’s been a very good Cardinal. but as bad as our offense has been overall, we can’t get behind 6 runs. Not sure why Ponce DE Leon hasn’t been given more chances. Sure, he might be a 5 inning guy, but at least in his short career he has been effective. Or I see the most likely, and realistic trade partner being the Royals looking at Duffy and Diekman. Will SMith might be possible, but I do not think Madbum will waive his no trade clause, unless heavily compensated. Plus the Giants seem to be wanting 4 top prospects. That’s too much for a possible rental.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

heck I would try to swing a deal for the outfielder the Yankees sent down after getting Encarnacion, Clint Frazier, hitting .283 w/ 11HR’s and 34 RBI’s in 53 games…..w/ stats like that he would be our best hitter

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Clint Frazier was sent to AAA for the NYY, and doesnt seem to have a clear path to playing time any time soon with the NYY

Yankees need pitching….we have some of that, perhaps we could strike a deal?

I know we have other OFers, but Frazier has proven he can play in the MLB and hit for good power

It might free up the Cards to find a new home for FOwler, ONEill, JMArt, maybe even Ozuna…which could be used to potentially get an Ace

A long term OF of Carlson, Frazier, Bader is pretty intriguing, especially with guys like Thomas, Arozarena, AdGarcia still around

Frazier won’t come cheap, and other teams probably have better options (Reds, Royals, Rangers, Giants), but we could probably offer the cheapest solution if they want a longer term investment

Would this get us started?:
    Wacha, Poncedeleon, then a hitter from our 3b ache like Mendoza?
    -i feel this wouldn’t work, and we’d have to offer up a bigger piece…maybe Woodford?
    -Wacha included is mostly just to move him to save a little money and maybe intrigue them on a change of scenery guy
    -i could see Gyorko in this deal too
    so:
    Helsley + Wacha+cash + Mendoza + Gyorko
    for
    Frazier

Then:
    Reyes + ONeill + Woodford + Connor Jones + Schrock
    for Eaton and Scherzer

then:
    Fowler + cash to CLE
    for lottery ticket

then:
    Wong+cash + ONeill + JMart + Gomber
    for Merrifield + Diekman

then:
    Montero + AdGarcia + Seijas
    for Minor

Max, Minor, Mik, Jack, Hudson
    Hicks, Miller, Diekman, Gant, CMart, Brebbia, Gallegos, Webb/etc.
    Merrifield(2b),Frazier, DeJong, Goldy, Ozuna, Carp, Yadi, Eaton
    Wieters,Edman,Munoz,Bader

Lots of moves….highly improbable…not going to happen

But…gives us more contact without losing speed or power or youth, quality lefty in pen, quality lefty in the rotation, and an Ace….all of which are controllable if expensive)

and that is really the point…looking at the team what we need is pretty clear:
    -Ace
    -Lefty in rotation
    -Second lefty in bullpen (though Webb hasnt been terrible)
    -More contact and average from hitters…we arent getting hits…i want hits, even if it comes without power
    -control of pieces if we trade away good prospects
    -clear some of the redundancy in the farm
    -clear some of the veterans

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

The way the Yankees populate the IL I doubt they will be getting rid of Frazier. He can actually play the field in addition to DH. It is starting to sound like the FO said, “We have some cash so lets go buy a bat.” I am not so sure the manager was in agreement but that’s the way things are. EE is a threat to Luke
    Voit as he also plays 1B. No idea what ever happened to Bird but with 3 guys at 1B and rotating the DH plus add in Sanchez doing some DH and with Stanton and Judge coming back soon those Yanks have a real problem huh……….LOL

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

True the IL has been an issue, but bringing in EE and adding back 2 sluggers give them a lot of wiggle room

if i had to guess, I could see Frazier in SF straight up for MadBum…it’s a lot of control to give up., but it might be the missing piece to get the Yankees a win this year.

The Astros and Twins arent going anywhere, and will undoubtedly improve with trades of their own. Frazier is expendable now and moving forward, btu has a pretty high value right now. Frazier for a rental isnt ideal, but if they can work an extension with the gobs of cash they have, then it sets them up pretty well going forward

-I am starting to like Mike Minor as a target more and more, not flashy but might not cost an arm and a leg
    -find a way to bring in another bat (probably requiring other deals)
    -find another dependable arm for the pen

It is a lot, but if we don’t waste our time chasing the headline names perhaps we can sneak in some solid longer term solutions

Trade Fowler to CLE or anywhere with cash get a lottery ticket at best
    Trade for Merrifield (for ONeill+) plays everywhere, 5 tool, high average more prototypical leadoff
    Trade for Minor (for quality quantity with a headliner like Helsley)
    Trade for Diekman (for JMart) (has a mutual option for next year around 5m, strikeout lefty
    -then…dangle Alex Reyes with some other parts for Scherzer to the Nats…see if they bite

It’s a lot…i keep saying it…because i like it…

you could change some of the names to fill the needs and adjust the trades, but i think we have the parts to fix our problems

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are about two pitchers away from having a team that could be a contender. I agree that our stagnant offense is a problem but as we have discussed before we have too many position players that are locked in contract wise that will be difficult to move. JMart is probably tradeable but I don’t know how much we could get for him. But we can win with this offense if we can shore up the pitching staff. I will take a 3-2 win every night.

While there are a lot of big time rentals out there I would prefer to acquire pitchers with some control. If we could do a mega deal with Cleveland where we get Bauer and Hand I think we could contend for the division. We would have to give up a lot for them but they are both controllable beyond this year. We would probably have to give up Reyes, O’Neill, and Knizer but I would do it.

And I agree that Merrifield would be a great get but Dayton Moore has already said it would take a massive haul to peak their interest. Merrifield may end up being the single most sought after trade piece out there between now and July 31. I could see the Dodgers and Phillies getting into a big trading war for him. The Dodgers want Hand also.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we could do a mega deal with Cleveland where we get Bauer and Hand I think we could contend for the division. We would have to give up a lot for them but they are both controllable beyond this year. We would probably have to give up Reyes, O’Neill, and Knizer but I would do it.

While that would be an awesome haul coming back, I’m afraid the cost would be astronomical. Probably something like Reyes, Carlson, Montero, Knizner and another high end lotto ticket. I might do it if the Cards are leading the division or at least 10-15 games over .500 at the deadline though. But that’s a ton of talent to lose.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I’ve seen a lot of interest from posters for Merrifield. I would not give up too much for him. He will be 31 in January and didn’t make the majors until he was 27. Would he end up being another aging acquisition? He is almost 2 years older than Wong.

I would love to have Merrifield. I just think he will cost more (in trade cost) than he would be worth. An upgrade to RF or 3B would be better serve the Cardinals although they would be tough to upgrade.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Merrifield can play all over the diamond, which enhances his value. He has played some RF for the Royals this year.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

But does that make his acquisition cost worth it?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It probably doesn’t for the Cardinals but someone will pay up for him.

We need to focus on pitching help. I said last offseason that this team can win with pitching and defense if we would really focus on those two things. I feel pretty good about our defense right now. Just need to upgrade the rotation.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Who would be available? Who should we target?

Danny Duffy
    Brett Anderson
    Mike Fiers
    Mike Minor
    Lance Lynn
    Marcus Stroman
    Trevor Bauer
    Madison Bumgarner
    Zach Greinke
    Max Scherzer
    Anibal Sanchez
    Jason Vargas

I think that is all the veterans that might be able to be acquired that could possibly help. A few of them I am not even sure will help. Any others? Any pitching prospects we could trade for?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Haven’t both Bumgarner and Greinke Got no trade clauses that list St Louis as a team they will not accept a trade to?

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.