Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t think the Cards will be in on Keuchel or Kimbrel either, nor should they be. We don’t need a closer and Keuchel would make me nervous. He is 31 and hasn’t pitched in a game in 7 months.

Mud, if we gave up even one of those four prospects for a 2 month Madbum rental that would be crazy. I don’t see that happening.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The trade deadline activity is getting started early this year. Of course Dipoto is involved.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Sounds like they are checking out on Odubel Herrera for this season.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Tony Watson from the Giants could be a realistic LH BP arm. He’s not Will Smith, but very solid numbers the last couple of years and wouldn’t cost as much in prospects as Smith.

Realistically, maybe Lane Thomas and lower level OF guy would hopefully get it done?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards and Giants would seem to be a good match. We need pitching and they need OF’s. Smith, Watson, and Madbum would all be very good for us but they are all rentals, which is their only downside. If we are really going “all in” for 2019 ( I know that phrase is subjective) then those three would be great.

I would make guys like Thomas, Arozarena, Williams, and Adolis Garcia available for a good rental. I would hold onto O’Neill unless the return was huge. I wouldn’t trade Carlson at all unless it was a mega deal for someone like Scherzer.

There is also the possibility that Reyes returns to the rotation and Cabrera could go to the pen. A 98 mph LH out of the pen could be useful if he can control it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB Trade Rumors now reporting that the Royals are ready to trade “almost anyone”. Mondesi would be the exception.

There you go jager.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Heard and read Seattle in a similar mode as KC. It will be interesting to see how front offices adapt to change in trade deadline rules.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Little chance I know, and we’ve been burned before, but this is a rare opportunity to sign KImbrel and Keuchel. No draft pick compensation involved, offer each a year with a vesting option for second year, or they can opt for free agency. Sounds like Keuchel is game for a 1 year deal. Not sure about KImbrel. For those clamoring about Hicks as closer I say why not? And again this is VERY unlikely. ANd unlike Machado and Harper there is very little commitment in terms of years. Sure this could be another Cecil or Holland but their past suggests otherwise.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure why Kimbrel would want to sit out a year, which he was talking about doing, NO matter who he signs with. DO you want a year of lost wages? Like 10 to 15 million lost.This would be a great time to sign, more teams in the mix, no spring training. Your arm will be fresher for the dog days of July and August. And if successful what a blow that would be to the Brewers and Cubs.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mondesi is the one I’d be most interested in. Bummer if he’s the only unavailable

Still Merrifield can play anywhere and is shutting machine with very good speed

Merrifeld diekman deal would be nice.
    JMart + Gomber + Mendoza + Thomas
    Probably not enough.

From SEA. I try to buy low on Haniger who has come out a little slow this year but is still a 5 tooler

Maybe then use ONeill as the big fish to get an impact starter maybe Stroman? Scherzer? Bumgarner rental Oneill seems a bit high unless we can extend

2020 outfield haniger merifeld Fowler Bader

Then slide Merrifeld to 2b when Wong leaves and Carlson into Fowler’s spot

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The NL Central is turning out to be just as much of a dogfight as we thought it would be. The Brewers, Cubs, and Cards lead the way but the Pirates and Reds are not far behind the “big three.” At this time I think all five teams could legitimately claim they have a chance for the playoffs. There are no easy games in this division as there are in other divisions.

So, can any team create some separation and if so what will cause it? A likely answer to that question is to see what happens between now and July 31. Who will make the big moves? Who will tinker around the edges? Who will stand pat and go with what they have?

From looking at the past few years the most aggressive team at the deadline has been the Cubs. In the past few years they have acquired Chapman, Quintana, and Hamels at the deadline (and stole Daniel Murphy). Will they do it again? Do they really have budget restraints? It is obvious they are going to try to obtain a closer. Will they go after Kimbrel or someone else?

The other four teams in the division have been a bit more restrained in the recent past. The Brewers got Moose and some others last year, the Pirates got Archer, the Cards have tinkered here and there, and the Reds have been sellers the last few years.

I really think this division will be decided by the front offices. Let’s hope ours is up to the task.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about a trade of minor league outfielders, O’Neill for the Astros Tucker?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<How about a trade of minor league outfielders, O’Neill for the Astros Tucker?>

I second that nomination.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If we could get Tucker for O’Neill straight up, Mo/Girsch better not even pause to say OK. I would go so far as to say Tucker for O’Neill and JMart. At least Houston would strongly consider that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tucker was the 5th overall pick in the 2015 draft. It would take a lot more than O’Neill to get him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for my NL Central trade deadline watch, the Cubs have actually already got started by acquiring Cargo basically for free. He washed out in Cleveland but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit well at Wrigley. He was in their starting lineup yesterday.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Tucker is attainable… i agree that JMart + Oneill might get the ball rolling, but i think we’d have to come in with another high rated prospect…maybe Helsley to truly get anywhere with it…perhaps we could go with a Gomber/Ponce/Woodford + decent infielder prospect

how about Montero + ONeill + Ponce for Tucker?

Montero is a big fish prospect who id hate to lose but Gorman seems the guy for a 3b future with us

Id prefer a hot hitting prospect for the OF like Tucker to pair with Carlson, and Bader/Fowler

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

People well underrate O’Neill thanks to the terrible way the Cards have utilized him in his time at the MLB level. He was rightly a top 50 prospect, twice, for a reason. I could easily see him go Luke Voit after a trade.

I’d also caution that Tucker plays in a hitter’s paradise at Round Rock (average OPS of .848 compared to Memphis at .748) so stats can be receiving. Even with Memphis’ great offense last year, Tucker’s Fresno team had an .823 OPS and Memphis .750. Parks matter in the PCL.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Considering the 2018 Memphis team was better with their pitching, I would expect the hitting to be in the lower half. But I do understand that a lot of PCL parks are hitter’s paradises.

Tucker would be a good acquisition. Good defense, good speed, good power. He has better contact rates than O’Neill and better walk rates. He is also about a year and a half younger.

14NyquisT
    Participant

People are including O’Neill in trade suggestions which may not be prudent in that O’Neill’s stock may be down right now. He has to get his numbers up for Cards to get better value for him if moving him is considered. If he fails to get a more favorable assessment he will drop farther down on the depth chart and I’d hate to see him become a AAAA player. Carlson already has some of the more experienced OF prospects looking over their shoulders and it may be that Carlson becomes the inevitable choice for St. Louis sooner rather then later.

I would like Carlson to get more time at the minor league level. I like to see how he handles AAA pitching. Although its thought that he is mature beyond his age, he is still very young. I’d like him to be fully ready for MLB before he gets there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As expected…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

forsch31
    Participant

Free

The alternative is that O’Neill continues to lose value until he isn’t worth much in a trade. I am VERY concerned about his strikeouts and the ability to lower them. He may be able to hit the ball half way around the world but if he doesn’t get the ball in play, he isn’t that valuable, IMO.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like I said the NLC will be determined by the front office of each club. So far the Cubs have acquired Cargo and Kimbrel. The rest of the division has acquired nothing. Waiting until July 31 will be too late. The Cubs will be up by 10 games by then.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont necessarily disagree GScott, but I do believe the Cubs NEEDED or HAD to make these moves whereas the Brewers havent really had to do too much

Cubs are up 1 in the standings to the BRewers and played 2 less than the Brewers as well

Brewers could use an impact pitcher and maybe another bullpen arm but they have plenty of firepower in their lineup and bench and farm for that matter…

Cubs bullpen is a mess IMO, they really had to get Kimbrel or some top notch closer because their back end is inconsistent to say the least.

Cubs OF depth also is not great, and CarGo may be an addition but he is far from an impact player…even if he turns the back the clock from time to time (even though personally I think he has something left and would have been an interesting pick up for the Cards in the offseason if we coudl have moved Fowler and Jmart)

If the Cardinals dont do something to their lineup (either the guys actually start hitting or and acquisition) then they will be looking up all year

The rotation coudl use an Ace, but the depth of the farm and potential impact of Reyes is not something to dismiss. the bullpen will be good if we keep CMart there. IF Cmart becomes an addition to the rotation, and Miller is not dominant, then i think we probably need another setup type arm.

Problem is, the Cardinals downfall is not pitching, which everyone seems to be interested in acquiring. The problem is the hitting, and we have so many unmovable contracts and vets in starting roles that even if we did want to upgrade we cant.

There is no position in our lineup that we can look for a better solution without triggering a bunch of other dominoes that must fall to make it happen…i am all for it, but it “feels” like the FO purposely does this so they have a built in excuse as to why they dont move assets or do anything…which is why we sit on our hands at the deadline every year and pick up spare parts…because spare part positions is all we have room in our team structure to upgrade

1b-nope..high paid superstar who “will figure it out”
    2b-nope GG defense doesnt need to be hitter too,highly paid, under contract(ie. cant be on bench)
    3b-nope…high paid star who “will figure it out”
    SS-nope young high upside SS
    C-nope high paid superstar and we have competent backups
    LF-nope-high paid star who is playing well enough and who we cant move or we’d have no RBIs
    *CF/RF-Fowler-nope high pair supposed star who “will figure it out”
    *CF-Bader-nope…GG level defense and hustle king who shoudlnt have to be a star hitter to be in there
    *RF-JMart-nope…cheap, just signed prized pinch hitter, who cant play anywhere else but is a good bat
    OF in general…nope…we have ONeill and Thomas and Carlson coming

Where exactly can we upgrade without causing a bunch of collateral damage that might not totally result in better total performance (OFF and DEF)

Path of least resistance is upgrading starting pitching…or the pen…which arent the big problems

the offense is..and there is no solution for that that doesnt make for big problems elsewhere…whether outside or inside

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.