Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

This topic contains 680 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Avatar CardsFanInChiTown 2 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 681 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another team to monitor is Washington. They are dreadful this year. Who do they have with value that they might move?

Rendon
    Eaton
    Kendrick
    Adams
    Zimmerman
    Doolittle
    Scherzer??

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GScott…i think that is dead on

I’d look at Dolittle as he is owed little and controlled for another year…could be solid snag

Scherzer would be great, even with his paychecks

Eaton is nice idea, if we want to offload some of our OF depth for other deals

Someone big is going to get Rendon as a partial year rental…id bet on the Yankees

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was also thinking about TEX and SEA…

SEA
    -I’d love to get Haniger, 5 tool guy
    -Elias from their pen as a lefty setup guy might be worth a cheap look

TEX
    -Minor’s a target, (though i like Duffy better if i am going to target a guy like this)
    -I’d bet Choo could be had if they ate some of the money

—-

I wonder about Cleveland…not that they are selling, but that they need OF help…I wonder if they’d offer Kluber….maybe he could be the player to be named later and do it earlier…we could offer them Ozuna, or JMart, or even ONeill

They also could use some middle infield help…i wonder if Gyorko would be of interest, they could move Kipnis to the OF and Gyorko to 2b o several other combinations…we could also offer several other MI depth options

—-
    I am starting to wonder how much we could get for OZuna…he may be rounding into a really great piece for trade…to a team need power and OF help…he has no strings attached, btu he has production to be gained…

Fowler and Ozuna and JMart for that matter all should have good value if we keep going forward as we are…we coudl conceivably “Sell” them…and still compete…

NJ315
    Participant

Mr. Jaeger. I did not attack or lambast you. I did not call you or implied you were stupid. You in turn called me a bully. I will post when I feel like it. Stay on point and do not call me any thing stick to baseball. I will log a complaint if you ever call me anything personal.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been watching the Twins game in the commercials and before the CArds game.

They look really good. I wonder if we have anything they’d want as I have to imagine they are going to go for it. Maybe OZuna would be a good target for them for some more thump. They have a good farm with some good hitters in it.

Same thing kind of goes for the Rays too. Even though they are in a tougher division with more big money spenders.

I think if we want to do our normal middling trade deadline deals we should still have options. But if we wanted to sell or at least lean into selling more than buying then I think there are plenty of buyers that we have some parts that could help.

Should be interesting who blinks first our FO or the field moving on asking about our players.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still think Arizona will be a seller also. The big fish there is Greinke.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

True.

What else though?

Ray? Bradley?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about Ozuna and PDL to Cleveland for Bauer and a prospect? You’d have Bauer for 2020 at least. Then O’Neill/Thomas could play left. I don’t feel like that is a sell off. Both teams get what they need.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a bad idea. However I’m not sure Ponce is as big of a name to get Bauer. But I thought no we could find a deal that works.

Bauer would definitely be nice. I just feel like they won’t think they can do that deal as Ozuna helps the offense but loses the pitching thump.

Still. Cleveland seems a good target for trading an OFer

I still wonder if we could offer Gyorko to the Yankees and get something decent back from down in their system.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I posted this in a game thread but it really belongs here.

This lineup has needed another big LH bat for sometime but they are probably waiting on Carlson and Gorman.

What this team desperately needs is an ace to put at the top of the rotation. A true stopper. While names like Madbum, Keuchel, Stroman, and Greinke are out there I would go after a different guy. If Mr. DeWitt wants to open up the checkbook I would say sanction a trade for Scherzer. Bring Mad Max back to Missouri. He is soon to be 35 and he makes a lot of money but he is still an ace. People thought Verlander was washed up and look at what he has done in Houston. I think Max would cherish getting out of the cesspool that is the Nats and get to come back home.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I guess the more immediate question is whether they would add a rental hitter. They have generally avoided that in the past. The reason I was given more than once is, “Where would we play him?”. So many starting jobs are locked down with long-term contracts, it begs the question where the rental hitter would play in the field.

On Scherzer, I like the idea, but it is more than the checkbook. It would take a lot of talent, too. (Perhaps this trade could answer where the rental hitter would play, though it is a stretch to think they would make two major deals in July.)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what a Scherzer trade would like. Maybe Helsley, Knizer, and Thomas?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we have to avoid Knizner in a deal, and I think they would want hudson in a Scherzer deal

Hudson, ONeill, Helsley to me looks appealing

but then again as I and others have said…the pitching isnt all that bad (though i agree in needing a stopper)…the hitters are what are failing the team and most of the spots are full

who do you move to upgrade the position? Fowler in Cf/RF has been fine, JMart has been fine and so has OZuna

Carp has not, Goldy has not but they arent going anywhere
    DeJong is good
    Yadi has been doing what we should expect and more from our catcher position

that leaves wong, whose defense should be enough to keep him in a lineup, that his bat is up and down shoudlnt really be a big deal on a team with the hitters we should be seeing show up…

the problem is Carp and Goldy and the FO will do and probably cant do anything about it with the extensions they signed….just not going to happen

that leaves us trying to find a 2b whose offense will outperform the defense we get from Wong…im not sure there is anyone out there avaiable that fills that bill….

unless you look at KC and Mondesi and Merrifeld…whose offense and their defense DO bring enough to move Wong out (but he is owed a bunch of money to play the bench)

or you move JMart…to get what a better hitter? maybe more power, but you lose bench hitting capability and a steady enough bat….i dont see the upgrade potential

Ozuna trading makes sense on the surface but, he has provided key hits and RBI’s….and his defense is good enough…trading him is fine but it wont solve our hitting issues

Fowler…sure he has been better, but lets not kid ourselves that it will be enough for someone to take his salary…..maybe we can swing a Mike LEake style trade with someone where we still eat a bunch, MAYBE CLE might find that enticing? I am not sure really…

I focused on KC as a trade partner because I think 2b is the one place where we could look, and they have several young stars that could be what we need at that position, and make good contact and speed and defense…plus they have the rotation piece we could use and a lefty for the pen……it still means we have to find a place for Wong in a deal, probably move Gyorko, probably move JMart and a host of other things…

that’s a lot of balls in the air, but if we need to make sweeping changes and we are hamstrung by contracts and commitments…then all we have to do is throw as many balls in the air and make it happen…which probably means taking some losses on value to get upgrades to performances…

how about:

Fowler plus some money
    for
    CLE. SS Marco Gonzalez, #30 on their prospect list, 19 in rookie ball
    -Selling low, but clears space for an short term upgrade or internal, but gambles on whatever we can get being better than what Fowler is giving us

Hudson, Helsley, ONeill, Montero, Oviedo
    for
    WAS.Scherzer and Eaton
    -give up a lot of control and youth, and take on a lot of money, but get good players we have eyed for a while that are under control

Jmart, Reyes, Thomas, Wong(+money), Mendoza, Gomber, Wacha (for free)
    for
    KC.Mondesi + Deikman + Duffy + Hamilton
    -give up a lot of youth, and take on Hamilton, and Duffy money…get a very good young player, and give up one…along with a very controllable fit for JMart, serviceable Wong (who they eyed for a while) and a young outfielder as well as hitter, and backend rotational piece

Gyorko
    for
    NYY. Frank German . 29 RHP on prospect list, good K to walk so far

Scherzer, Mik, Jack, Duffy, Waino/Ponce/Woodford/CMart
    Mondesi, Eaton, DeJong, Ozuna, Goldy, Yadi, Carp, Bader
    Hicks, Miller, Diekman, CMart, Gant, Brebbia, Gallegos, J.Fernandez (or another upside arm)
    Hamilton, Wieters, Edman, Munoz

Not going to happen, probably made too light options, cleaned out the farm, added money
    but
    upgraded the team IMO

one the farm we still have…Carlson, Knizner, Woodford, Ponce, Roberts, Seijas, Nunez, Williams, Capel, Thorres, etc.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Crazy talk abounds here.Don`t trade for big bucks veterans or pending FAs.Deal Ozuna,Wacha,Wong,Gyorko and I wish (Fowler and Carpenter) for young arms /Positions players.Enough with thec trading for Scherzer/Eaton nonsense..not happening.Go tyoung and take your lumps while the kids get MLB experience.No more retreads/overpriced veterans/impending FAs.Look ahead instead of the next 3 months.Trading away the farm system for a quick fix or short term gain is beyond foolish IMO.I think the fans will still show up to watch younger exciting baseball instead of overpaid fading veterans playing out the string while just collecting a paycheck.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar Bw52.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar Bw52.
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Eaton isn’t crazy old, Scherzer is still an Ace, Duffy is a solid lefty, Diekman is a quality lefty RP, and Mondesi is a young cheap star…

The types of bats of Eaton and Mondesi i think are what we are missing, Scherzer, Duffy and Diekman are what we lack on the pitching side… we would have to empty a lot of the farm, but to be honest we have a pretty bloated farm

we did a lot of our impact this century with not much of a farm, getting quality veterans and mixing in solid core players from our farm…Suppan, Lohse, Woody, there are all kinds of outside talent we used to succeed…heck even Waino and Carp arent our kids…we used our young arms and farm to get us the right proven talent…yes we had Albert and Yadi…but what else have we come to depend on from the farm during those glory years? Rolen? Renteria? nope, Edmonds? nope, holliday? nope…mix and match infield Eckstein, Vina, Furcal, Womack, Nunez, etc etc. nope…

we don’t need an overflowing farm system to be successful…we need quality guys in it to make deals…yes, we need some staples and guys to build around…but the farm doesnt win MLB games, unless it provides us what the MLB team doesnt have… a lot of 3-5 level starters is quality, but not what we need an ACE…Reyes has high hopes but has fallen flat…we have Jack as the internal Ace already a bunch of fringy 3 or 4th OFers doesnt give us the impact we need, nor solve the contact issues people hate seeing… we have great defenders but no one that puts it all together…that is fine, as long as you dont have black holes elsewhere

Id empty the farm out a bit, and target some control and quality that is already in the MLB…Duffy and Scherzer, Eaton and Mondesi, Diekman too…yes they cost a lot but they arent rentals…clear out the vets for what you can get, use eating money to help if need be, free up room for upgrading…

Gorman, Knizner, Carlson, Nunez, Roberts is a fine core of prospects to build around…so try to keep them, but everyone else is on the table to get us the type of upgrades we need to compete in MLB right now and moving forward

—-
    as for dealing what we have?
    Ozuna gets little unless we hold to the deadline
    Fowler brings nothing back without eating a lot of money
    Carp brings nothign back with how he is playing
    Gyorko little
    Wong…little without eating a lot of money
    Wacha wont bring anything

so for all of that, we’d get what? maybe a decent not ready prospect for Ozuna and then nothign but lottery tickets for everything else, unless we eat so much money that we might as well keep the players

I am fine with it, as long as it also comes with trading for talent that helps us now…impact proven talent

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

we did a lot of our impact this century with not much of a farm, getting quality veterans and mixing in solid core players from our farm…Suppan, Lohse, Woody, there are all kinds of outside talent we used to succeed…heck even Waino and Carp arent our kids…we used our young arms and farm to get us the right proven talent…yes we had Albert and Yadi…but what else have we come to depend on from the farm during those glory years? Rolen? Renteria? nope, Edmonds? nope, holliday? nope…mix and match infield Eckstein, Vina, Furcal, Womack, Nunez, etc etc. nope…

we don’t need an overflowing farm system to be successful…we need quality guys in it to make deals…yes, we need some staples and guys to build around…but the farm doesnt win MLB games, unless it provides us what the MLB team doesnt have… a lot of 3-5 level starters is quality, but not what we need an ACE…Reyes has high hopes but has fallen flat…we have Jack as the internal Ace already a bunch of fringy 3 or 4th OFers doesnt give us the impact we need, nor solve the contact issues people hate seeing… we have great defenders but no one that puts it all together…that is fine, as long as you dont have black holes elsewhere

I agree with a lot of these sentiments jager but a lot of the successful moves you outlined here were done by Jocketty, not Mo. Mo doesn’t seem to have they same Midas touch that Walt had besides ownership has given Mo a different blueprint to operate from. The Ozuna and Goldy deals were Walt type moves but the results have been middling so far.

I think having a robust farm system is very important for varying reasons. It can directly support your own major league team with talent and it can be used to trade for big league talent. It seems like our current front office is still trying to figure out how to navigate all of those avenues.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Duffy makes 15 million and has 3 wins and is due 46 million over the next 3 years.
    Eaton makes 8 plus million and has a WAR .3 and is nothing special or much better than what is on the roster now.So trading for high priced veterans doesn’t mean you are getting high end talent.Foolish baseball is what it is .Thinking Duffy and Eaton are difference makers is wishful thinking IMO.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel like Scherzer, if available, would be a game changer. Or Madbum, but he is a rental, Scherzer is not. We lack an ace. It would be nice to trot Max out there every 5th game. He has been very durable, I think he will age well with his contract. And if we assume more $$$ on his remaining contract he might come cheaper trade wise.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scherzer has a salary of 42 million a year thru 2021…..even with portion deferred do you actually think the Cards FO would take on that much money in payroll?The Cards would have yo get rid of huge dollars first.I don’t think this FO is that much of risk takers.Taking on a soon to be 35 year pitcher with that huge of a salary…….probably not happening.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Duffy is a lefty starter with good numbers on a bad team. 15million per for 3 yrs isn’t bad for a quality starter especially for us with a need from the left side. Wins are not a good measure of how valuable a pitcher is.

Eaton is pretty affordable and his WAR being what you list is pretty misleading.

He is hitting .275 and 5hrs and only 14rbis in a non rbi spot in the lineup. 5 SBs is nice along with a 729 ops and solid defense and speed. He’s a career .285 hitter
    He makes contact and gets on base and play good defense.

A couple of hitters who excel at higher average and add speed to the base paths is exactly what we need. It’s the types of layer who make our power hitters more dangerous and make the pitchers work harder under more pressure to pitch well.

Duffy is a lefty we don’t have. He isn’t an Ace but he could be a 3 who would help Aton against the lefty heavy central.

Diekman is a bullet for lefties too.

Scherzer May be old and expensive but he is a generational Ace and scares hitters just by being out there. He goes long innings and saves a pen.

Trying to find players who can be obtained even if they aren’t perfect is what we have to do. No one is reading Vlad Jr or Mike Trout or Blake Snell.

Duffy seems like a guy in need of being on a good team. Scherzer wants to win. Mondesi is young and entertaining and dynamic. Eaton is a steady bat with steady speed and defense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What happens if a team signs Kimbrel or Keuchel after the draft? DO they lose a 2020 pick or not?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No they wouldn’t lose the pick. The deadline is midnight Sunday night/Monday morning. We will start seeing action on these guys next week.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tampa Bay is a half game out of first after having won their last 6 games. They don’t sign free agents based on what they have done, and they don’t make trades that are not favorable to them. If last year’s fiasco with Greg Holland didn’t teach MO a lesson about signing a player who hasn’t been through ST, then he needs counseling.

Also, if we’re expected to give up one, or more, of Gorman, Nunez, Montero, or Carlson for Bumgarner, then I think we should pass.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 681 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years