Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 313 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

12. Jonathan Mejia

13. Inohan Paniagua

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

12 Paniaugua

13 Gomez, who I think is more of a trade chip. I am old school, and do not like high strikeout totals.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baez
    Mejia

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Great info Bob Reed. As I remember it, high schoolers mostly started in Gulf Coast League, the best high schoolers, JC and small college started in the short season Appalachian League and college kids from bigger programs started in the NY-Penn short season league. Like you said, the stand outs might start higher. I still don’t quite see how the new arrangement is going to work out over time.”

I remember always going thru the draft list and trying to figure out where everyone will be placed. I don’t know what to do with the extended spring/gulf coast type thing and no short season teams how this will pan out either.

Bob Reed..I agree great info. Geez I remember the Jeff Ledbetters and Paul Ellis’s that just could not make their aluminum bat college power translate and it is just a reminder that most big colleges really have maybe 2-3 pitchers and 2-3 hitters that will actually make an impact in the minor leagues. The question is always do they feast on lesser talent or do they have the talent and the willingness to adapt to better competition.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#12 – Joshua Baez, OF Low-A
    #13 – Jonathan Mejia, SS DSL

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Jonathan Mejia at #12.
    Freddy Pacheco at #13.

Fun extrapolation for Mejia: Taking his 2022 road game numbers X7, you get 553 at-bats and a .291 average with 63 doubles, 7 triples, and 21 homers. Plus 126 walks and a .467 OBP.

As for Pacheco, he’s the pitcher I’m hoping Paniagua turns into in a couple of years, i.e., a 24-year-old reliever who is borderline dominant in Triple-A. Freddy had a dandy 11.5 strikeout per 9 innings rate this year for Memphis, and believe it or not that was the lowest K rate among his eight minor league stops.

And thanks for the generous words, Bling & Lefty!

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paniagua is a hard one for me. His numbers are great, but I don’t see a 2-1/2 pitch starter that throws 92 mph being successful as a starter or a reliever

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

12 Paniagua
    13 Gomez

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had Paniagua just in my top 10, but I consider it very high risk. Its mostly a lack of compelling candidates after the first handful. I saw him pitch in a game in Peoria, same game I saw Ralston, and he got killed. Hits and walks. Problem was he couldn’t hit the outside corner. Either missed or caught too much plate. He also gave up a ton of fly balls and not many grounders.

But he has a live arm and wasn’t peppering the backstop. I see where he’s over 16 pitcher per inning. so he needs to get that down if he hopes to continue as a starter. I was pretty optimistic about his potential despite getting his head handed to him that game.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

12 – Mejia
    13 – Brycen Mautz

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Gomez can play all three outfield spots. but he is not a plus defender. He reminds me of Pham in center. Both went back well on the ball because (and this is purely my subjective analysis) both players have a flair for the dramatic. Gomez throws out runners consistently, but the reality is that teams run on him.
    He hits balls you swear are outs, and then they are out not outs. He chases strikes and hits the ball in the air. He is strong and a fairly polished hitter. He swings through some strikes, but he doesn’t chase much.
    He is better defensively than Burleson and probably Walker at this point He hit every moment he was in Springfield. He hit and hit with power at Memphis. He started hot this winter. Until someone slows him down, he is the fastest ascending outfielder because Walker is still trailing Gomez due to his recent 40-man hurdle being cleared. If both start hot in the spring, an extra year of Walker seems better than an extra pick.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going with Gomez at this point, but I would be more comfortable if we had some inside info about what led to the U turn in results. And what led to the prior big downturn. One would have to say he is unpredictable.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

#12 – Joshua Baez
    #13 – Inohan Paniagua

Both players scare me a bit too, but Baez has good power potential and time to work on deficiencies.
    Paniagua needs some development time as well, but could be very useful in a couple of years.
    I like Mejia as well as pitchers Pacheco, Thomas and Willis. Tough to decide on these players!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Pete Hansen, third round, probably a bit more than Mautz. Command of 4 pitches. Decent size lefty like Mautz but more meat on his bones. Needs work like Mautz. I’d give him a better shot at sticking as a starter.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“I like Pete Hansen, third round, probably a bit more than Mautz. Command of 4 pitches. Decent size lefty like Mautz but more meat on his bones. Needs work like Mautz. I’d give him a better shot at sticking as a starter.”

Mautz is sure impressive as a bullpen top lefty. I’m not sure if his “strikes” will be strikes at the next level when the plate tightens up. I think he will struggle with his pitch count, but he will be successful. He and Hansen were both very good picks with lots of talent. Hansen is just got to have to be super and spotting his pitches, which he isn’t bad at that now…at least part of his assortment. Just can’t miss as much at the next level. They both should be in the next 5 picks.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

12. Gomez
    13. Baez

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

12 Gomez
    13 Baez

bccran
    Participant

It’s been a day plus 18 hours since there was a vote, so let’s close this round out.

By my count, here were the point totals –

Baez – 11
    Paniagua – 10
    Mejia – 9
    Gomez – 9
    Thomas – 1
    Pacheco – 1
    Mautz – 1

Closest vote we’ve had so far. Baez and Paniagua win #12 and #13 by a hair.

So far, it’s –

1.) Walker
    2.) Winn
    3.) Graceffo
    4.) Hence
    5.) Burleson
    6.) Herrera
    7.) Liberatore
    8.) McGreevey
    9.) Thompson
    10.) Hjerpe
    11.) Bernal
    12.) Baez
    13.) Paniagua

Since it was so close, does anyone have an issue with declaring Mejia our #14 prospect and Gomez our #15 prospect in order to speed things up a bit?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I’m fine with Jonathan Mejia at #14 but don’t have Gomez this high. My #15 vote would be Alec Willis. His strikeout ability (even though small sample) is enticing for the future. That said, the majority vote wins the selection and it seems most would vote Gomez in this spot.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we should vote for 14 and 15. You never know how the votes will change round to round… personally, I’m not voting for Gomez for a bit.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

You have to do the voting. For instance, Burleson had the second-most votes at #3, but wasn’t chosen until #5. If we are doing ranked choice for 5 at a time, the results will be different than two at a time. The votes here were based on choosing two at a time.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14. Gomez
    15. Hansen

bccran
    Participant

Okay, the voting is now open for prospect #14 and prospect #15.

Blingboy’s vote has been registered.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14. Jonathan Mejia
    15. Brycen Mautz

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

14. Gomez

15. Walsh

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 313 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years