Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 502 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Assuming that we will start that process soon I took a look at our top 40-50 rankings over the last 5 years (2018-2022), using the final lists compiled by Brian using our ratings as a part of his final selection.

All of the top 5 picks over those 5 years have played in the major leagues except Jordan Walker who should arrive by at least 2024.

Elhuris Montero, ranked #4 in 2018 and 2019 made it with the Rockies this year. He along with Nick Plummer and Ramon Urias made the major leagues with other teams after being ranked in the top 50 by us.

46 players ranked in our top 50 have reached the major leagues after being ranked in the top 50/40. Only Lars Nootbar reached the big show before being ranked in the top 50/40.

Nootbar, Brendan Donovan, Rowan Wick and Connor Capel were ranked 40 or lower the year before reaching the major leagues. 12 players were ranked 20 or lower the year before making it to the show.

Harrison Bader and Tommy Edman had the highest accumulated WAR among those reaching the major leagues but that is more a factor of longivity than overall talent so I didn’t do much with WAR. A few have reached regular status and accumulated some WAR after leaving the Cardinal organization. However, probably Randy Arozarena is the most likely to have garnered much playing time with Cardinals. Adolis Garcia the most likely other possibility.

We do have some tendency to cool on prospects over time. Six players who made the major leagues dropped 15 or more places from earlier rankings on the path upward. Minor issue in my opinion.

Thought the information may be informative as we go into the 2023 rankings.

Editor’s notes:

Here is the link to the 2022 community voting.

Community 2022 Top Prospect Voting

See page 20 of this thread for the final top 50 vote for 2023.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Montero, Plummer and Urias reached the major leagues for the first time after leaving the Cardinal organization.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Before getting started we need to clarify who is eligible for our list and who isn’t.

PadsFS
    Participant

Is someone going to start the voting – stcard25?

PadsFS
    Participant

Is someone going to start the voting – stLcard25?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have done it in the past, but this is a very busy stretch for me so I don’t think I will be able to facilitate this year. Hopefully someone else can step up! It’s always fun to see the opinions of people.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Can we just agree Walker and Winn and start at 3?

bccran
    Participant

25 –
    I’ll be happy to take it through the first 20 rounds, with each poster getting to vote for one player. When it shifts to 5 votes at a time, someone else will have to take over.

How long should each round be, and who is disqualified because of playing time with the Cardinals?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the cut off is 130 AB or 50 IP.

If that is what we go with, Liberatore, Thompson, Herrera and Burleson are still in, Yepez and Pallante are out.

bccran
    Participant

Sounds good, BB. Let’s go with that. What about time to vote on each cycle. Is 48 hours okay? Ended at 5 pm every other day? Or should we go with 72 hours?

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

I think 48 hours is good to keep it moving. You can call it early too on runaways as the first couple might be.

14NyquisT
    Participant

bc, I think after the first five rounds we should go with two in rounds 6-20. It would speed up the process and I feel it won’t change the results. Just saying.

bccran
    Participant

Okay. Sounds good. Let’s start the voting now for Round 1. The voting is open.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jordan Walker #1. Great floor, elite ceiling. I see him as the best OFer in St Louis in 2023.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Walker

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I vote Walker as #1 also. Clear cut top prospect in the organization.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t know too much about these new prospects, but I did notice that it looks like the Cardinals are going to allow Alex Reyes to become a FA. Wasn’t he at one time a Cardinal #1 prospect?

bccran
    Participant

Walker #1.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Walker #1, call it tonight and move on?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Walker is my # 1 choice.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#1 Jordan Walker

bccran
    Participant

Okay. That’s 7 straight votes for Walker. Let call this one and declare Walker our #1 prospect.

The voting is now open for #2.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t know enough about any of these guys to vote, but I can’t help but notice Walker in a landslide. I guess the Winn guy has lost some pt’s in the polls?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Masyn Winn is #2…he could end up a Lindor type. It sure would be nice to have our SS for the next 8-10 years.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…I would have thought he would win #1. Like I said, I haven’t seen any of these guys play at all, so obviously I couldn’t vote with any confidence. Winn seemed to get all the press during the regular season, so I was surprised when the Walker guy seemed to take the lead in the polls. At any rate, let’s hope one or both of them does as well in the Big Leagues as they do in the prospect arena.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 502 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.