Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 335 total)
  • Author
    CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

#2 Winn

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will go with Graceffo at #2. His performance trajectory is uphill so he just needs to do what he is doing. Winn had a very substantial drop off in offensive production from A+ to AA, so his trajectory is not uphill and neither is Herrera’s. They both need to turn it around, which presents significant uncertainty.

I also wanted to mention that the new guy Fermin is eligible for the ranking.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#2 Masyn Winn

As a side note bcran you should probably set a deadline for each vote because sometimes things come up and everyone isn’t able to sign on here that often.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Winn #2

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Winn #2

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Winn at #2

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Masyn Blaze Winn at #2.

The MLB Pipeline sages place 23 shortstops among their top 100 prospects. Of those 23 elite shortstops, Winn has by far Pipeline’s highest grade for throwing arm with a perfect grade of 80. (Gunnar Henderson and Carson Williams share the 2nd-best grade, far weaker than Winn at just 65.)

Winn is graded 65 for running, which places him 2nd behind only Royce Lewis’ 70 grade, among the 23 elite shortstops. Everyone else, 60 or below.

And Masyn is tied for the 2nd-highest fielding grade with a 60 grade, which trails only Ezekiel Tovar’s 70 grade.

—————————————————-

In short, based on Pipeline’s own scouting grades, Masyn Winn should eventually add more to his MLB team through non-batting contributions than any other shortstop prospect currently in the minors. Pair that with his solid bat — league-average hitting in AA at age 20 is good for anyone, much less a middle infielder — and you have a very plausible star in the making. He’s a top 10 overall prospect and might have even more upside than Walker.

bccran
    Participant

gscottar – each round is on a 48 hour cycle. So this round will end at 5pm tomorrow.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Winn #2 for me

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Winn at #2 for me as well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar – each round is on a 48 hour cycle. So this round will end at 5pm tomorrow.

Ok good to know but the first round lasted about 6 hours.

14NyquisT
    Participant

#2 Winn

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I am so excited to hear everyone’s observations, but I get a special glow every time Bob Reed drops that knowledge on us.
    Mr.Andujar-You may not know much about Cardinal minor leaguers now, but wait two weeks, and this thread will fix that.

Winn at 2 for me, also.

TheBeave
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I missed the #1 vote, but it would have been Walker.

I’m going with Gordon Graceffo at #2.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I see where Graceffo is a 22 year old RHP. Is he pretty good?

bccran
    Participant

gscottar –

We decided that the rounds would be 48 hours each, but there were some who felt that the first 2 rounds could be called quickly (for time expediency) if it looked like Walker and Winn were shoo ins. We now have 13 votes in this second round, with 11 for Winn and 2 for Graceffo. Again, for time expediency, let’s call this round. Masyn Winn is our #2 prospect.

The voting is now open for prospect #3. This should be a really interesting round and it won’t be closed until 5pm CST on Saturday.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

3. Graceffo

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I have to go Burleson at #3

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think arguments could be made for Graceffo, Burleson, Hence, Herrera, or Baez (and maybe Hjerpe if you have faith in the unseen and untried). I’ll take Graceffo though. There is something special about this guy. Great stuff. Great control. And an amazing competitor. I get Carpenter vibes with him. He still has some hurdles that he has to figure out. But he could be really, really good. That ceiling seals it for me.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

3- Gordon Graceffo

Burleson definitely could be 3, or 3B. Libby has definitely dropped in my mind.

A young fella I’m very curious to hear other posters thoughts on is Leo Bernal. If you haven’t heard of him, take a look at his numbers from PB as an 18 Y/O catcher. If they trade for Murphy or sign Contreras his time line matches up as “the catcher of the future”. That being said, I’m still betting Christian Vazquez is a Cardinal before we turn the calendar to 2023.

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

#3 – Graceffo

This was a close call for me between Graceffo, Burleson, and Hence.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

#3 Hence

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“A young fella I’m very curious to hear other posters thoughts on is Leo Bernal.”

Leonardo Bernal is my 5th or 6th-favorite Redbird prospect, ChiTown, and a definite top 100 overall prospect by my lights. The 18-year-old switch-hitting backstop was a distinctly above average hitter at Palm Beach, and his defensive rep is solid for such a young kid. Can’t logically leave someone like that off a top 100 list.

But the two things that really stood out about his 2022 season were his early/late splits, and his home/road splits.
    First 35 plate appearances, he fanned 40% of the time. Ugh.
    Remainder of the season, he struck out just 13% of the time. While slugging .500 (.262/.333/.500).

And the other, even more impressive splits.
    At Roger Dean Hitters Graveyard Stadium: .196/.253/.264
    At all other Florida State League venues: .333/.395/.696

If he had posted the above numbers over a 350-400 PA sample, he’d be behind only Walker & Winn for me. But with just over 150 at-bats this season, some caution is obviously advisable.

——————————

Anyway, I’ll also go with Graceffo at #3, please. Tink has more upside but Graceffo has the stronger record of health/durability. (And Graceffo’s plausible ceiling is #1/2 starter in my opinion, which is nothing to gesundheit at.)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#3 Graceffo.

I don’t yet know much about Bernal, but his current upward trajectory is important. There is a higher probability continuing a current upward trend than there is reversing a downward trend. It will be important to observe what happens when he moves into AA.

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

3 Graceffo

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 335 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years