TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

C27, I’ve always heard that control is the ability to throw strikes. Command is the ability to throw the ball right where you want it. Perhaps it is semantics, but it seems like control is important to not give up many walks, while command is important to not give up walks or hard contact. Think of the guys who can paint the corners of the zone like a Greg Maddux.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reading some of these reports, the lack of having a spot between the Gulf Coast League and full season ball is going to really hurt some players. I suspect we are going to see guys who are completely dominating the GCL struggle to catch on in the FSL due to it. I think it will eventually level out to the GCL being a better league than it was before and the FSL being weaker. Or perhaps a 2nd GCL team/league will be put out there for the rookies and guys coming over from the Dominican, while the other team/league will be for the guys who may be almost ready to make the jump to Palm Beach. Of course, having them all right in the same place will help “move” them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first year could be especially bumpy as the new hierarchy sorts out for both teams and fitting the excess players on them, with the complicating factor that most of the players sat out basically a year and a half.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What happened to Peoria, 25?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What happened to Peoria, 25?

Peoria and Palm Beach are switching places in 2021, so Palm Beach will be low A and Peoria high A.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria and Palm Beach are switching places in 2021, so Palm Beach will be low A and Peoria high A.

This just makes a ton of sense since players that are going from the GCL to the FSL can just walk over to the next field.

It is also nice for the good folks of Peoria as they will get to watch a slightly higher caliber of baseball.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Had no idea. Thanks very much, 25.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Really interesting on this thread that Gragg is rated above both Seijas and Ralston.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It depends on the voter. I did not see it that way, but Matt Thompson did – and because he is very high on Gragg relative to the other two, it pulled up Gragg’s overall site ranking.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Gragg in 2019 at Oklahoma State –

ERA – 5.10
    WHIP – 1.61
    IP – 42.1
    H – 49
    K – 36
    W- 19

Pitched most of the year out of the Cowboy bullpen.

As a pro in the 2019 summer – 3.15 ERA, 1.33 WHIP

Ralston was a starter for UCLA

11-1
    ERA – 2.66
    WHIP 1.11
    IP – 101.1
    H – 79
    K – 110
    W – 33

As a pro in the 2019 summer – 1.07 ERA, 0.75 WHIP

I don’t see where Matt is coming from.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did you read the respective scouting reports? As has been discussed many times, scouts go to games. They watch film. They assess player skills and predict their future growth. Prior stats like those are not as important.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Prior stats aren’t that important?
    Oh, okay.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This exchange reminds me of Marge Schott, who once famously said in response to questions about why she fired all the Reds’ scouts, “What good are they? All they do is watch games!”

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have worked hard to integrate players’ statistics/analytics with eyes on scouting reports. I’m
    told both are equally important.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not know the exact weighting on a number of factors to evaluate players. For this discussion, since the basic numbers seemed to conflict, that is why I directed you to the scouting reports. But it would be a fallacy to think that numbers are not a part of scouting. They are just different ones, such as velocites, spin rates, pop times, home to first time, etc. There are a lot of relevant numbers used in the game that are well beyond traditional outcome-based standbys like batting average and ERA.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Re: Ralston and Gragg, it doesn’t seem that difficult to understand that stats in small samples in a rookie year, or even a full year, may not be quite as important as the tools that a player shows. I really like the mixing of the scouting (Matt) and data (Brian) this year. It adds a nice new dimension, although I do miss Derek’s wonderful writing as well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s true, 25, but to me the college numbers are important too. It all goes into the mix. And Brian, I agree with you that the analytics are a lot more sophisticated now. But there are things they don’t measure.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I really like Romari. He’s got all the attributes of a good solid hitting outfielder. Especially like that he shortens up on the bat with 2 strikes, which most power hitters don’t do when always swinging for the fences.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hi Brian. I think I spotted a rare error where you refer to the two-way second rounder as Tink Hence when I think you mean Masyn Winn. Enjoying the write ups so far!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good eye, Christopher. Correction made. Thank you…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years