TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 385 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

flood21, thank you for the assist. You are correct.

The exclusions for this year are listed in the overview article for the Top 50 countdown.

(Note: Andrew Knizner, Jake Woodford and Rangel Ravelo are considered graduated. We decided to be consistent with the national prospect raters.)

50 Days, 50 Nights, 50 St. Louis Cardinals Prospects for 2021

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Out of curiosity, is Matt able to get info on scouting from the alternate site, or is his scouting info based on 2019 video and scouting eyes?

There seems to be quite the difference in his view and the Cards staffer who was ebullient in his praise. The Cards have had some tremendous pitching prospects in that time, such as Shelby Miller, Carlos Martinez, Wacha, Rosenthal, Jaime Garcia, Reyes, Weaver, and Flaherty, who I believe were all top 100 prospects.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I haven’t asked if Matt has direct access to 2020 alternate camp video or if he is talking with other organizations’ scouts who have. My guess is the latter. My approach has always been to be a bit cautious about any reports by any organization about their own players, as the positives are accentuated and the negatives are often skipped over. That is why independent assessments are so important to get a balanced view.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a very solid assessment of Gorman there. A Mike Moustakas type (low average, decent walks and above average power) might be the most likely resting spot for Gorman. I’m not a big fan of Moose, but he has produced well enough to be a 3 time All Star and has two 35+ HR seasons as well. That said, Gorman has the talent if he can work on his strikeouts to surpass that and be a 35 HR guy yearly with solid defense at 3B. That’s not quite Arenado, but it’s gonna put you in the yearly conversation for the All Star game and perhaps MVP votes in a career year that could push his OPS up close to .900 with 40 HRs.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Carlson has been challenged by the organization ever since he stepped on the field at Peoria in his second MiLB season. I would love to see him bat second in the order for ’21 to maybe take some pressure off of him. He is an on-base guy right now…. Matt: Power: Has improved physically. Gotten stronger and will drive the ball more consistently. Some of his homers at AutoZone Park and Hammons Field were absolute moonshots. More gap to gap though, but can get into one. 25-30 homers annually with heavy amount of doubles. Grade: 55. The power will come but for now he has that “60” rating for hitting. He will add some muscle as time goes by.

Plus it will be a big advantage with Goldschmidt behind him. We all want him to succeed ASAP.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Getting a proven cleanup hitter from the outside would really help, but Santa didn’t bring one… Do they do gifts for Kwanzaa? 😉

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Overall in 2019, Carlson slashed .292/.372/.542/.914 with 26 home runs, 68 RBI and 20 stolen bases in 126 games between Double-A and Triple-A.

The above slash line and homers and steals number would be what I might think of as a “career year” for Carlson in the majors. If he accomplishes this with solid defense in a corner OF spot he would be a fringe MVP candidate. If he can accomplish this consistently, that makes him a half-full grade higher prospect, which is what the Cards could best hope for from Carlson and Gorman. If they somehow got two All Star/5-6 WAR guys from them, you’d think Mo would be more than thrilled and so would we.

Like Gorman yesterday, I’d think Carlson will settle in as an .800+ OPS, 3+ WAR corner OF…which would be a very fine outcome. Think of Ozuna prior to his injury. Some 2-3 WAR seasons with one biggie.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey Brian, how did you settle ties? In some cases, you each voted someone back to back and flipped the two. Some times the guy you voted higher got the nod, and sometimes Matt’s vote did.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, as you noted, I took turns breaking ties.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Why did the Cards let Adolis Garcia go so cheaply, after bashing 32 home runs and driving in 96 in 132 games for Memphis in 2019?

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Brian, Not a big deal but ypu have Gingery listed in the “departure by position” as a righthander instead of a southpaw.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ha! I’ve never seen Gingery pitch! (Thanks for the correction.)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

Why did the Cards let Adolis Garcia go so cheaply, after bashing 32 home runs and driving in 96 in 132 games for Memphis in 2019?

Because organizations don’t base their decisions on Triple-A baseball card stats.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Garcia was behind a ton of players in the pecking order at the time of his trade. Remember, the Jmart-Arozarena trade didn’t happen til a few weeks later. It may not even have been discussed at that point.

Participant

Free

Well, I guess no one can predict these things. Not one of us can say for sure that a prospect is going to be successful or not successful. As Brian says, organizations don’t base their decisions on “AAA baseball card stats”. Of course on the other hand, Gary LaRocque will tell you that at the AA level and above is when players need to put up the best stats they can to show they’re getting major league ready. And sometimes Mo is just flat out wrong.

Isn’t it interesting to look at the lineup of the Memphis team that won the AAA Championship in 2018.

C – Carson Kelly
    1B – Luke Voit
    2B – Max Schrock
    SS – Wilfredo Tovar
    3B – Patrick Wisdom
    LF – Randy Arozarena
    CF – Oscar Mercado
    RF – Adolis Garcia

Mo admitted that he made a mistake with Arozarena, and that they are analyzing the way they value talent. Maybe, just maybe, BW, they should pay a little more attention to those “AAA baseball card statistics”. And maybe they did indeed give Garcia away for too little. We won’t know until we see how he works out in the long run.

Participant

Free

bc, what is your opinion of Adolis Garcia?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Garcia had an OBP that barely broke .300 at its best. He had some pop in the bat and a strong arm. 5th OFer seems like the best the Cards could hope for.

Participant

Free

Sure Garcia had a very low OBP. But he did hit home runs and drive in runs. Arozarena, Mercado, Voit, etc. have done well. Why not Garcia? You never know. And we came in last in the major leagues in home runs last season. So maybe Garcia might have helped? Just a little?

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 385 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years