Shildt Fired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Shildt Fired

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this firing was a mistake, and if either Shildt or Mozeliak had pulled the right strings while they were arguing, this firing could have been avoided.

I have yet to read anything that says that Shildt did anything to deserve to be fired. The small talk about lineups and bullpen use are not what got him fired. Was this something as simple as an ego butting heads with another ego? If that’s all this is, it should have been worked out without having to fire the guy.

IMO, MO and Shildt should kiss and make up publicly. And then Shildt should be reinstated.

I hate to think about how much trouble this could cause Mozeliak if it’s not adequately explained to the fans and to the players. Almost everyone likes Shildt, and that’s aside from the fact that he has been a winner.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I am not a Shildt fan but don’t dislike him either! What bothers me is the idea doing the firing (Mo) is the one who needs replacing! We haven’t signed a decent free agent in forever! Fowler and Miller show how bad we have missed and those were Mo picks! I convinced the cards will not win big again until it is Mo being replaced for philosophical differences!

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Weirdly, Mo seems to be good at making trades and bad at signing FA’s.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

Mo made one comment that I don’t understand. When asked if he sat down and counseled Mike about the philosophical differences before he let him go, Mo said no. What? That doesn’t make sense.

Pork Twain
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not saying that Shildt was fired because of roster mismanagement, leaving starters in too long and using questionable BP arms. I am just saying that all of that did not help him in the end. Do all of those right and it is much more difficult to say goodbye.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar, I like that take as well. Ownership has not, and does not, want to build a team thru free agency. It became even clearer to me when the organization announced that they were reinvesting in analytics. So, if Shildt was at risk if he was not not 100% aligned.

Do not forget why Jocketty left St Louis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1964, that was exactly the point Bernie made. Jocketty was a bigger fish than Shildt and they let him go. The moral of the story is that you better be aligned up with the bosses upstairs. It makes you wonder how Matheny lasted as long as he did. There seems to be an internal battle between conformity and continuity.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

KMOX and 101 ESPN are among the outlets planning to cover Shildt’s remarks live.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

as expected he doesn’t say anything at all

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Pork Twain

I am not saying that Shildt was fired because of roster mismanagement, leaving starters in too long and using questionable BP arms. I am just saying that all of that did not help him in the end. Do all of those right and it is much more difficult to say goodbye.

I agree with this completely. I would defend him as well if I thought he was actually good at the in-game management stuff, but he never seemed to actually get it, much like Matheny.

And it’s the little things too, like leaving Wainwright in to hit in the top of the 5th, then taking him out in the bottom of the 5th after an infield hit. It worked out, but had he stayed with Wainwright, we would’ve maybe had one of our good relievers (that he trusted) still available instead of Reyes. On the other hand, he probably would’ve gone with Carpenter as the PH and then put Reyes in to start the bottom of the 5th (where he even might’ve been okay with the lower leverage situation). Either way, he didn’t make the optimal choice, and he did things that way just about every game.

He was a genuinely good person though and that’s important as well. We just don’t know what happened at this point.

bccran
    Participant

He was MOY his first season. His second season, he had to navigate through near impossible waters with players infected, a compressed schedule, many double headers, etc. His third season he put together the longest winning streak in the history of Cardinals baseball. He has been a positive influence throughout the system ever since he was hired. There is nothing left to do but to wish him well.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He was a good Manager and should still be the Manager.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Schildt in SD would be interesting. They are known very analytical team and there were philosophical differences in St. Louis. But he’s a known players guy and good with the clubhouse, which Tingler supposedly lost.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Cards667

Schildt in SD would be interesting. They are known very analytical team and there were philosophical differences in St. Louis. But he’s a known players guy and good with the clubhouse, which Tingler supposedly lost.

I wonder if his players’ coach reputation comes from being in the organization with most of these guys for a long time too? I mean, he was a Cardinals minor league coach at every level – from Johnson City/ St. College to Memphis – and then on the ML club as 3rd base and bench coach. I could see him gaining favor with some of these guys from being around them their whole career, especially as likable as he is.

That kind of cohesiveness wouldn’t exist at San Diego or anywhere else.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All of this nitpicking about Shildt is kind of hilarious. In my opinion he was a much better manager than Matheny yet Matheny got 7 years and Shildt only 3. There is something strange about that. It tells me once again that the Cardinals have shifted their philosophy some and decided to double down or triple down on analytics going forward and the manager had better be on board 100%.

MP415d
    Participant

Free

He was a better manager than Matheny but that’s not saying much. Was he the only person in the baseball world that did not know Reyes was going to give up a homer? The way he handled the bullpen this season was mediocre at best. I am saying this as my opinion only the moment that Reyes pitch left the park I did not want him as manager. I tweeted “I know he won’t be fired but this decision should cost him his job” Just my reaction no need to let me know how wonderful he was.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was he the only person in the baseball world that did not know Reyes was going to give up a homer?

I didn’t expect Reyes to give up a homer. I expected him to give up a walk. Regardless, I don’t think it had anything to do with Shildt’s dismissal. If it did then our front office is more knee jerk than I imagine. We might as well replace Mo with the ghost of George Steinbrenner.

bccran
    Participant

We don’t care if you know whether he was wonderful or not, MP. We’re paying tribute to all the good things he did within the Cardinals organization over the past 17 years. We’re trying to be as classy with him as he was in his zoom call.
    As he rightly said, it’s best to be positive and move on.

MP415d
    Participant

Free

I never said it cost him job. I said my reaction was I hoped it did. He seemed like a very nice man. Has nothing to do with a baseball decision. Wonderful people get fired all the time.

MP415d
    Participant

Free

As far as the homer Gscottar, I and many friends watching the game called it.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I thought Schildt handled his press response very classy. Time for him to take a break from things and re-evaluate things. Everybody needs a break some time. Seems to me the differences were going on for awhile. From what little I can make out of it all. Schildt leaned towards the veterans and Management wanted younger, cheaper guys from the farm system. Be that as it may the old saw is still in effect ” Insanity is making the same mistakes over and over expecting different results” Eventually it will catch up to any of us.

bccran
    Participant

Baseball is more than analytics and a W-L record. It’s also about people. Mike did a great job of naming all the people that he had worked with, respected, and cared for. Business is the same way. Show me the leaders of a business that don’t care about their employees and I’ll show a business that will fail.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t see the schildt thing but I didn’t expect him to really say anything new. First he’s a classy type guy and isn’t going to get dirty but also he’s interested in another job. Be interesting if he went to the padres and turned them around which wouldn’t surprise me. But then his team met ours in the playoffs and he won. Oh Mo would be so hot. Might not say it but he would be.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years