Shildt Fired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Shildt Fired

Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Youth baseball has become more elitist from what I see. There are less informal leagues and teams, and more of the “pay to play” organizations.

I just don’t see kids informally playing the game like we did when I was a youngster.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

As an exercise, what do we think Schildt would be doing differently, if anything, from Marmol with the line ups / pitching so far?

I don’t notice anything but maybe I’m missing it…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Marmol seems to have a similar style. I thought he might utilize his bench more, but it’s early.

I like the aggressiveness this club has shown. They seem upbeat and take it to the other club.

If we stay fairly healthy, this should be a good year with a chance to go far in the post season tourney.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt would definitely have Edman batting leadoff. Right now that might not have been a bad thing but we’ll see things change as the season goes on.

I also think that there will be a difference in how Gorman, Yepez, etc are handled when they get called up vs how Shildt would have. Shildt had a Matheny-like deference to the veterans.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I don’t think Schildt was as bad as matheny and larussa when it came to their handling of young players. I look at Wong as the example. Never has a player been yanked around as much as he was. matheny would still have Carlson in the minors. With matheny / larussa they got a hit today so they play tomorrow. They went hitless so they sit for three days. As frustrating as it gets seeing the same young players struggle as they have the past 2-3 years, it is nice to see that Marmol is throwing them out there daily. Give them an adequate shot for an extended time then if they don’t produce it’s time for another to get that shot. By the way Dejong has had that shot, imo. Move on to Sosa and give him his shot. Give Bader another two weeks. If he continues hitting below .250 time to give another an extended shot.

14NyquisT
    Participant

bicyclemike:
    Youth baseball has become more elitist from what I see. There are less informal leagues and teams, and more of the “pay to play” organizations.

I just don’t see kids informally playing the game like we did when I was a youngster.

I hate seeing all the baseball fields empty. Some are becoming soccer fields and tennis courts or teens playing frisbee on them.

Kids ain’t what they used to be…. they have too many things that attract them more. Participation in sports, in general, is becoming less and less. Unless you call that corn hole thing a sport.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Kscardfan,
    When LaRussa & Luhnow left, their talent evaluation & player development began to decline. So to compensate they are now giving players a chance to compete so they can stop trading our best players away.

MO’s response to their departure was to proxy their system which obviously did not work. MO’s inability or ineptitude set them back for several years.

So what we have to look forward to is the playing out of each player instead of knowing more of what we have earlier on.

Sequimite
    Participant

Free

Even before Yadi’s injury Marmol was committed to giving Knizner significant playing time.

Hicks as a starter.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Being 8-4 makes a manager look good.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Matheny was the worst with the young guys in my opinion. That whole deal where he was using Wong in center field was a joke.

Shildt’s playing Edman in the outfield was not something I favored either, although at times our outfield seemed to be thin. Now we have seen guys mature and have a real good young threesome, any of whom could play center field if needed. The Giants outfield is similar in that regard.

Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years