Shildt Fired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Shildt Fired

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Excellent piece by Bernie on the club’s parting of the ways with Shildt, despite the on-field success.

What I find interesting is that management went with Marmol as manager, as Oli was Shildt’s right-hand man. You have to think that during the season there were many discussions between Marmol and Shildt about what to do here or there, and Oli must have felt that a different approach would be a better choice.

Thus despite the success and seemingly good working relationship between Marmol and Shidlt, Oli had to disagree with some of Mike’s methods and decisions.

bccran
    Participant

My guess is that Mike felt that with his successes as a manager, he could become verbal about some things with Mo, and it turned into a heated argument. Mike pushed it too far and Mo felt it was insubordination. Mike is a mild manner guy, but can have a temper.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was it Mo or Mike who gave Bernie the inside info? It would be useful to know which side’s version it is.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Bernie is around the club and is privvy to the culture. He is “inside info.” It’s like Yogi Berra once said, “you can observe a lot just by watching.”

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will be a Cardinal fan forever but I am a little subdued now because of the fireing. I wish Marmol much success and will be rooting for the Cardinals to win ever game.

The firing tells me that Mo is intent on running the team. He has to be when he will not allow a manager to choose his own coaches. You wonder how much influence Mo had on how Garcia, Arozarena and others were used before sending them off to rookie all-star years with other teams.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Mike Shildt accused of racist undertones in exchange on field with San Francisco Giants coach.
    Article is on ESPN.
    All I can say is read the article before commenting. In my opinion, the Giants coach is out to lunch. Hopefully someone can link the article.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

Doesn’t sound racist to me in the slightest, but what do I know about this world we live in in 2022

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For sure, Cards667. It certainly wasn’t a very nice thing that our ex-skipper called Anton, but it contained absolutely 0% racial irregularities or undertones. Some people just love to be victims.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently they met this morning and hashed it out.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

From reading the PBP of the game it sounds to me like the Giants broke a couple of the “Unwritten Laws” of the game.

Then again, I have a full tummy because I just got back from the Amish restaurant. Three plates of food, cherry and blackberry cobbler and chocolate soft serve ice cream- And three glasses of sweet tea.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very racist of Richardson. He needs to buy a mirror.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A weird incident. Not being there I have no idea on whether or not any racial bias was part of Shildt’s comment. But it sounds like the two parties kissed and made up, so that is good.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like the guy was too sensitive. I don’t blame him for not liking it but the race card doesn’t have to automatically come out.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bad press is going to hinder Mike’s prospects whatever the case may be. I am not sure if I now think there might be a little something more to the ‘toxic’ narrative than I had been thinking.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The race card is so easy to play these days.

Unwarranted and disgusting by the player.

He should get a 10 day unpaid suspension.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

I agree- i wouldnt shake the man’s hand after that for anything in the world. I know a few stl attorneys who would love to pick this one up for a slander charge. This nonsense has to stop.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt’s comments were about Giants pitcher Alex Wood, who is white. Shildt was aiming his comments asking that Wood be controlled at Giants manager Gabe Kapler, who is also white. The Giants third base coach interjected, making it about him, when it wasn’t.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Richardson jumped the gun on playing the racism card but I am still not sure what prompted Shildt’s outburst. Some reports claim it had to do with the Giants baserunner attempting to steal second with a nine run lead. One of those unwritten rules of the game I suppose. I wonder if Bob Melvin sanctions his assistant coaches to yell at the opposing team’s dugout?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is probably also more yelling when your team is down 13-2. Not defending, just noting…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

With Shildt directing his comments to Wood, it sounds like Richardson misinterpreted and thought they were directed at him. Hence the “kiss and make up” moment they had.

This was blown out of proportion and then the two principles reconciled once Richardson understood the motive.

Probably the main outcome is a reflection on Shildt, who seems to be a bit of a hothead. Sometimes that is okay as it can indicate a passionate desire to succeed. But that quick temper can also be destructive.

I read a great book on Ty Cobb recently and that was his persona. He was driven to succeed, but sometimes his temper lead to incidents where he acted out in situations that would have been best to let roll off his back.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Richardson jumped the gun on playing the racism card

We are all influenced by our environment to some extent, so I can’t really fault him for maybe exhibiting something of what we have all been immersed in. Maybe it was two hotheads letting the situation get the better of them. They seem to have made up. Others outside baseball could take an example from that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

https://sports.yahoo.com/dodgers-dave-roberts-calls-mlb-110001726.html

Am I reading this article right? Supposed only about 7% of all the players in the big leagues are black – is that what this article is saying???

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Sports today is the ultimate meritocracy. If you are good enough, you’ll play.

The vast majority of NBA players (85% +/-) are AA and it’s not because of racism. Same thing for the NFL especially at running back, wide receiver, and defensive back. It’s been 20 years since a white dude started at corner back in the NFL.

AAs make up 13-15% of the US population and tend to focus on fb and basketball.

I don’t believe that racism is the reason AAs are not heavily represented in baseball as these days talent rules the day in D1 and professional sports.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Americans participation in baseball period has slacked from what I see. In my small town of 3,500 in Baseball we have no Babe Ruth teams, 1 travel team (combined with other towns), 2 Little League teams of 10 players each. They swap players back and forth. When I was young here we had 6 babe Ruth teams, 6 Little League teams, and 4 farm Club teams. Very little Basketball below 7th Grade. In contrast with nowadays in basketball we have Leagues in every grade boys and girls. They play local and have teams that travel. Football starts in the 3rd grade and goes through HS. I believe this is the norm all over the Country. Video games used to get the blame but that doesn’t explain the participation in other sports. Unless avoidance of the heat is the problem. Race doesn’t seem to come into play in baseball as much as it did years ago. Would be interesting to here of the participation in Baseball in your towns. Has it gotten more or less?

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years