Roster Matrix

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Roster Matrix

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 323 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yep. Ricardo is already gone!

bccran
    Participant

Bring Burleson up to replace Dickerson.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2 other potential moves to clear space would be to designate Zeuch and Robertson for assignment. Probably too optimistic, but maybe Flaherty will be back from injury in the next 4 to 6 weeks, and would need moved from the 60 day DL.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The least controversial moves will be Walsh to Memphis and cutting Zeuch loose.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

And that’s exactly what was done

14NyquisT
    Participant

Rondon will get many chances to see what he has. If he pitches well…. they should stay with the younger guy.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Somebody please tell me what the $!@&*!, these guys are doing on the MLB roster..???

NickWittgren
    4.86 ERA 16 inngs. 20 hits. 9runs. 4 HB 7BB 7K’s 1.62whip .303avg. against.

T.J.McFarland
    7.31 ERA 16 inngs 22hits. 13runs 1HB 6BB 9k’s 1.75whip .355 avg/ against.

what is going on in St.Louis? I thought Marmol said that roster/playing time would be directly related to performance on the field.? Maybe not…

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Because Marmol pitches guys for multiple innings the good pitchers guys aren’t available often. They need Hicks back in the pen. Their bullpen is a weakness and has cost them games already.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Ehh its the Cardinals. The contract always plays until they are no more excuses to be made.

14NyquisT
    Participant

BHC… ain’t that the truth. Maybe Wittgren and McFarland will blossom with the warmer weather coming.

Hicks is not a starting pitcher…. period. The experiment failed. Off to the pen with him.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well apparently they are going to reevaluate whether to continue starting him though I believe there is plenty of evidence already that Hicks isn’t a starter. Funny the article I read about this mentioned that Woodford has had limited success as a starter. You could easily say outside of waino and mikolas, all the cardinal starters fall into that category.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks has more late movement on his pitches than any pitcher that I’ve ever seen. If he ever figures out to stay in the strike zone, he will be considered an elite pitcher. However, it might take a little magic for that to happen, or maybe just practice, practice, practice. My opinion is that they should keep trying to make Hicks a starter for awhile. At some point, enough is enough, but we’re not quite at that point yet with Hicks, IMO. There is much to gain if this can be made to work.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud’s post raises the question of whether Hicks wants to keep starting badly enough that he would agree to go down to Memphis to keep working on it. Or would the Cards nix that idea to keep him contributing from the big league pen?

Perhaps he was tired or had a minor injury, but I was very disappointed that he left the Arizona Fall League so early. That seemed like the perfect opportunity to build up for 2022 as a starter.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Hicks’s problem is he didn’t put in the work in the upper MiLB levels. As a result, he is a thrower not a pitcher.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I don’t get to watch enough of the games to be able to comment definitely but in watching Hicks’ start, he had a lot of pitches that hit the edge of the plate or corner of the strike zone that weren’t called strikes.

14NyquisT
    Participant

mud’s post raises the question of whether Hicks wants to keep starting badly enough that he would agree to go down to Memphis to keep working on it. Or would the Cards nix that idea to keep him contributing from the big league pen?

Another case of “tail wagging the dog”. I guess Hicks has the right to nix going to AAA but sending him to the BP should be up to the FO. Who has the better plan for Hicks to improve?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps I did not word that clearly enough. I did not mean to suggest that Hicks decides anything. But supporting and agreeing with what the organization wants to do versus fighting it could have an impact on its success. Hopefully they can sit down together and figure out the best answer for all.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Bling said it before I could. +1

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant
    Bring Burleson up to replace Dickerson.

I bet they wait until Carlson is activated at least. With Donovan and Gorman, Dickerson is essentially redundant, plus Nootbaar is around too.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding the bullpen, we basically have four guys that are doing well. All of the off-season signees have been at best average, other than shuttle-buser Naughton. We’ve gotten lucky in a way with Pallante and Helsley, while Whitley and Woodford haven’t taken that next step yet.

The saving grace here is that guys like Walsh, Naughton, Rondon, Thompson, Thomas, maybe Fernandez, maybe even Blake Parker are around if the current batch of ‘veteran’ relievers can’t turn it around.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dickerson should be DFA’d but would the Cardinals admit their $5M mistake only 1/3 into the season?

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Is this the first time Dickerson has had limited playing time in his career? Some guys need to play everyday. You would think Mo would take this into account but I don’t have confidence in MO’s ability at all.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dickerson will get to a hot streak at some point, and almost everyone will be happy again. How long it will last and how beneficial it will be is TBD (‘to be determined’ as the architects say in construction when they don’t know the actual measurements on a remodel job). Also, Dickerson brings another veteran presence to the team that’s different than Yadi, Waino, and Pujols. I’m thinking that his veteran presence helps the rookies hold on. One other thing to mention is that the Cardinals’ front office has budget constraints. Maybe they could have gotten a more productive LH bat for $5M, and maybe not. It pains the Cardinals to cut a player that they’re paying big money to, so I think we can expect Dickerson to be around for the entire season.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I agree that Hicks could use some time at AAA to work on his control, regardless if he is a starter or reliever. Not sure the Cards will see it that way, but I think that would be best for Hicks and the team. We could really benefit by Hicks pitching more strikes with his great movement. Keeping him in the starting lineup right now is not helping.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is this the first time Dickerson has had limited playing time in his career?

He really hasn’t been an everyday player since 2018.

Dickerson will get to a hot streak at some point, and almost everyone will be happy again.

Well I hope you are right but at this point I think Burleson could put up better numbers at a fraction of the cost. We know Yepez can too.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 323 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.