Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 803 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you could find room in the payroll, would you consider any of the following free agents this winter on a 2 or 3 year contract?

Springer – age 31
    Pederson – age 28
    Brantley – age 33
    Céspedes – age 35

Outfield of Carlson, Fowler, and perhaps Brantley?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

no

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would take Pederson on a one year deal. He’d be the Brad Miller replacement. If the deal went to 2 years, probably not unless it was a low $$ incentive type deal.

If Springer could be had for 2 years, sure. But he’s gonna be looking for 4-5 years I’d think.

Participant

Free

Since Brian claims no move on Mo and I agree get ready for more of the same BS we Card fans now endure year after year. Apathy is a killer so keep watching. This from a Card diehard since 1966.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s not a finer defensive outfield in baseball than O’Neill, Bader and Carlson. I like our 2 to 3 yr outfield just fine.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, jj. Might add Montero to the LF/DH mix in the next year or two as well. I wouldn’t mind a one year stop gap/platoon guy though. I don’t think Fowler can be counted on to repeat his 2020 next year.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, 26 and 21 yrs of age. Sometimes patience is the correct course. It’s especially necessary while you’re wearing burdensome contracts off the roster. A one year deal to Pederson doesn’t add to the contract woes, doable I hope.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pederson would be the only one on that list that makes sense for us in 2021.

Springer will be too pricey.
    Brantley will probably be too pricey.
    I wouldn’t want Cespedes if he was free.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What about Puig? 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Puig is Cespedes Lite. Two peas in a pod. :o)

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is from thejager’s last comment which I applaud and readers should scroll back to it to read the whole comment. I couldn’t present this situation any better. To those who disagree that’s OK…. but you would be wrong thinking that way.

We have no leadoff hitter and we have no middle order protection or power. Fowler and Carp were supposed to be doing that. And the failure of the FO to address those problems is what is the problem. The players they depended on to do those roles failed, but they failed by finding other solutions, instead continuing to force those players into those roles to the point of damage to the rest of the team and it’s offensive (pun intended) output

There are solutions to find, but they require to owning up to your mistakes and taking responsible for the financial or prospect loss hit it will require to fix them. That is what is not happening. We sit on prospects and cry we have no money yet we have plenty of both to fix the problems. If it is about winning a WS we arent doing it, if it’s about making it look like we gave a good try and excuses about down years or injuries and COVID and whatever else and “well at least we made the playoffs” are just insulting to continue to hear as all they truly signal is maximizing PROFIT over success and/or taking ownership of your own mistakes

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Wong’s OBP leading off and B Millers bat at cleanup. I disagree that we haven’t found other solutions.
    I agree Carp and Fowler have been disappointing and I’m ready to see both contracts expire asap.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought about Puig, but he’s been a head case in his past and probably not a good fit here.

I would opt to go after Brantley. 33 years old, so he’s not going to get a long term contract. Hits for excellent average and has some pop. Left handed bat in left field. Solid, plus Springer is going to be an expensive signing for them and they have Kyle Tucker coming on strong to play left field.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s the scoop on Brad Miller.

In 2017 he played for the Rays.
    In 110 games he had 9 home runs and 40 RBI. Hit .201.

In 2018, in 48 games for the Rays he hit 5 home runs and drove in 21. His OPS was .751. He then went over to the Brewers, where in 27 games he had 2 home runs and drove in 8. OPS was .666.

Last season, he again was a reserve infielder for 2 clubs. In 13 games for Cleveland he hit one home run and drove in 4. He had 66 games with the Phillies.
    Did a little better. Had 12 home runs and drove in 21.

In the off season, the Cardinals were able to sign Miller as a reserve infielder for $2 million. Must not have been much demand there.

He got off to a nice start with the Cards this season, but things have a way of balancing out. In the last 28 days he’s slashed .207/.330/.424/.754.

And this is the guy you want hitting cleanup as we drive for the playoffs and into the playoffs if we make it, jj? You might want to reconsider that. Not many reserve infielders are cast in that role.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Springer will probably get 5

Pederson seemsa 2-3

Someone will give extra years to Brantley im thinking 4 at lesser money than a 3yr deal gets him

Cespedes is intriguing as a DH option and i do think he is a 1year guy at this point

Still, i don’t do any of them…I think Benintendi is our best shot via trade for young OFer with some upside and not too expensive and as he is in his last year before FA he won’t require TOO much i’d think…

I kind of come back to the idea of Benintendi and JD Martinez (DH) that was posted in the other thread…maybe for Carlos, Andrew Miller, and a decent prospect or two. I dunno I havent watched the Sox much this season but JD and Benintendi before his injury seemed to be not doing all that great….change of scenery for all parties involved might help (with Miller getting a chance to go back to BOS where he had good success) BOS seems thin in the pen and in the rotation…it’d be a gamble for all parties but gambles toward solving issues staring them in the face

Wong as a leadoff idea was fine in the offseason…but he still hasnt shown any consistency and his power is entirely gone (not important for leadoff hitter as much but with DH it matters a bit more IMO)
    Miller as cleanup is insulting…he wasn’t signed for that at all, we are just forcing a lackluster guy into the spot and hoping for the best…he started strong and then super slumped…that isnt protection that is hope and luck

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And this is the guy you want hitting cleanup as we drive for the playoffs and into the playoffs if we make it,

I want Mike Trout and Cody Bellinger in the lineup, but these are the guys we have. No one is hitting that well so you’ve got to pick someone. Who on our active roster would you bat leadoff in a playoff game?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, bc…I meant cleanup, not leadoff.

Participant

Free

Pederson is having such a bad year he might be able to be had on a 1 year deal. He’ll be a little more expensive than Miller I would guess.

You know we could’ve had this covered last season if we signed Dickerson or Calhoun. Hell imagine if we got both Miller and either of these 2 how much better the offense would be. It would still be run of the mill but compared to what we have now it would be murderers row. lol

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish Gorman was ready NOW.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The only Cardinals that make sense right now in cleanup would be DeJong, O’Neill, or Carlson. I don’t know what’s going on with DeJong, except fatigue from too many double headers or residual from the virus (which I deeply hope is not the case). But eventually as things shake out going into 2021, I would expect the MOTO to be Goldy, DeJong, and Carlson.

Participant

Free

With Pederson’s age, an incentive laden, 1 year deal to get back on the open market could make sense to him.
    I’ve been a fan of Joc and while he’s had a tough year this year, I’d take a chance if the money was right, he’s put up numbers in the past.

I think they have to pick up Wong option and then trade him. I know 1 year at 12.5 isn’t going to have much value, but they can get a little something to replace some prospects to get a 3B. Could also think “outside the box” and look at SS trades and moving DeJong to 3B. If the DH stays then Carpenter probably has to be the DH because of the money. Re-sign Miller for a utilityman. Trade Martinez (get rid of the money), O’Neill, Webb, Sosa (out of options)

1. Edman – 2B
    2. Pederson – LF
    3. Goldschmidt – 1B
    4. ??? 3B
    5. DeJong – SS
    6. Carlson – CF
    7. Molina – C
    8. Folwer – RF

Miller, Carpenter, Ravelo, Bader (CF vs LHP, Carlson to LF), Knizner

Flaherty, Kim, Mikolas, Gomber, Wainwright

Poncedeleon, Helsley, Cabrera, Reyes, Gant, Miller, Gallegos, Hicks

DL- Hudson(probably), Brebbia
    AAA possibilities include Woodford, Oviedo, Elledge, Fernandez, Whitley, Sanchez, Schrock, Dean, Thomas, Williams

I don’t know that it’s any better, but you know they aren’t going to spend money. I think it’s a step in the right direction and then Fowler, Carpenter, Wainwright are gone after 2021 and there is money free up to continue the overhaul

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ny wrote:

This is from thejager’s last comment which I applaud and readers should scroll back to it to read the whole comment. I couldn’t present this situation any better. To those who disagree that’s OK…. but you would be wrong thinking that way.

I agree that the front office has been complicit in creating our payroll problem but we have to ask ourselves when was the last time DeWitt authorized Mo to just go spend more money to make up for the previous mistakes? I would guess never so why do we think it would happen now, while in a pandemic no less? I am afraid we are going to have to consider more realistic solutions.

Participant

Paid - Annual

cards667 wrote:

I know 1 year at 12.5 isn’t going to have much value, but they can get a little something to replace some prospects to get a 3B. Could also think “outside the box” and look at SS trades and moving DeJong to 3B.

I agree that 3B is currently a problem but I think it would be a mistake to bring in a long term 3B right now since that is the most stocked position we have in the minors. Why not try to solve a different position, one in which we have very few promising prospects on the rise? What promising OF prospects do we have coming up through the minors? Very few I would say, at least close by. Torres is a few years away.

Blocking Gorman, Montero, Nunuez, Walker, and others doesn’t make sense to me. Let Edman play 3B and Carp or Miller DH until those young guys get here.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards had the perfect second place hitter.

AAA 2019 – .344/.431/.571/1.003/ 17 SBs
    MLB 2019 – .300/.391/.500/.891
    MLB 2020 – .278/.365/.685/1.050

Did they really need another left handed pitcher when they had just signed Kim and already had Gomber and Cabrera?

Participant

Free

“Blocking Gorman, Montero, Nunuez, Walker, and others doesn’t make sense to me. Let Edman play 3B and Carp or Miller DH until those young guys get here”

Gorman – lots of K’s. .910 fielding % with 21 errors last year. Can he stick at 3B?
    Montero – worse fielder, terrible numbers at AA, his highest level, questions about him at 3B all along. If DH stays his bat may come around and give him a spot, more likely a move to LF.
    Nunez – I’ve seen little of him. But everything I’ve read says he can hit, has no position.
    Walker – 18 years old

I’d give up Montero and Nunez in a package to get a 3B to put in the middle of this order. Look at Gorman moving OF and possibly being who replaces Fowler. They need a bat to win in 2021, not this 4-6 year potential. That’s all we heard about the OF and now it’s all dried up and nothing to show at the big leagues for it yet. Bader and Thomas time is getting a short to prove something. Edman is a 2B. Get him there. Get a little back for the players I listed and get the money off the books.

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 803 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years