Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,013 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is the job of the Cardinal front office to worry about the Cardinals. Until they see evidence of a decline in attendance I wouldn’t expect radical changes.

bccran
    Participant

Fans can worry about the Cardinals too.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t think it’s the speed of the game (or lack thereof) that’s keeping young people away as much as the horrendously high prices, both tickets and refreshments. A day at the ballpark is simply too expensive unless you are a well heeled youth.

bccran
    Participant

CIF – It’s the cost as well as the declining interest among young people in baseball.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its fueled by the fat TV contracts, which to some extent filter down to the small markets. so long as people tune in and sit through the endless commercials and stoppages they do not care who is in the stands or what they think about the game on the field. They do want you to think about the $15 everything nachos and $12 beer. None of that is for me, but to each his own.

bccran
    Participant

You can find more reasonable tickets by taking advantage of certain packages, but the cost of concessions is brutal. They don’t need to gouge the fans on that.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ah for the days of 10 cent beer nights. I was lucky to attend one at both Milwaukee County stadium and at Cleveland Municipal stadium. Unfortunately, I was much too young to partake in the libations at either. Boy, thinking back at Cleveland Municipal stadium……it was so dark and so huge…..almost scary at times.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I attended a few games at the mistake by the lake one summer as a kid. We did a grand tour going to baseball games all over the northern part of the country east of St. Louis. I also remember it being cavernous. My dad and grandpa may very well have arranged the travel itinerary to coincide with 10 cent beer day.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like a pretty cool tour of the ballparks, Bling. Cleveland was a great place to live back then. Things I remember most from being a kid there was this Irish mobster being blown up, the Cuyahoga River catching on fire and Cleveland’s mayor Ralph Perk setting his hair ablaze during a ribbon cutting ceremony. The Cleveland fans hated the Yanks with tremendous passion. Matter of fact, I think one and maybe both of those Yankee pitchers who swapped wives with each other during that era came from the Indian organization.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That trip is not my ultimate claim to fame in the ballgame attending derby. I am told I attended a Cards vs. Mets game at the Polo Grounds in late summer of 1963, in which Stan the Man appeared in one of his final games before calling it quits. I do not remember as I was maybe kindergarten age. But still, I feel almost famous.

bccran
    Participant

Know the feeling BB. He was a great athlete and a wonderful man.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You know cranny, part of it is that it was also one of the last baseball games played there, on a site where baseball had been played for 100 years. Baseball royalty all played there. The same with Sportsman’s Park. I have only a vague and fading memory of the place but Babe Ruth was there and so was I. A couple of my kids have some appreciation when I talk about that sort of thing. My 18 year old grandson just looks at me funny. But he wants the $100 sneakers some athlete is hawking.

bccran
    Participant

Really enjoyed watching The Man hit em out onto Grand Avenue.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Only to once again experience that raw enthusiasm we had as kids watching this game. I’d do almost anything to capture some in a bottle. But that is gone, never to return. Observing my 5 year granddaughter’s joy after receiving a visit from the Tooth Fairy made me think of this the other day. Back in the day, it was heaven just being able to watch our Cardinals on the Saturday afternoon game of the week with Curt Howdy, Tony Kubek and an occasional visit from Joe G. Today, if one were to put a million bucks cash in front of me, it still wouldn’t compare to the excitement generated from watching professional sports as a child. And it was so darn plentiful!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Best of all were those $1.50 grandstand seats at Sportsmans Park.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My friends and I made use of the general admission tickets that were offered at Busch Memorial when it first opened. A couple bucks and you sat wherever you wanted in the top 10 or so rows all the way around the cookie cutter. We would take the bus right down Gravois to the day games. Hardly ever missed one all summer. Really terrible seats but we usually worked our way down.

bccran
    Participant

As high school kids, we would go to Sunday double headers at Sportsman’s Park. Since it was very hot and humid, most people in the boxes behind the Cards dugout wouldn’t stay for the second game. As we moved into those seats the ushers wouldn’t say a word. Great memories of “Stash” (Musial), Alex “the Golden Greek” Grammas, Don “Blazer” Blasingane, Ken Boyer, Bill White, Hal Smith, Larry Jackson, Vinegar Bend Mizell, etc.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is no statistical evidence suggesting that the Cardinals are suffering from lack of fan interest. The last season before Covid, 2019, they ranked 2nd in attendance with 3.4 million fans.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is only anecdotal info, but during the radio broadcasts this past weekend, they mentioned a number of upcoming home games are not sold out (despite the limited capacity). That may be a reflection of lingering COVID concern and I do not have comparative data from across MLB regarding sellouts.

bccran
    Participant

Baseball attendance in general has been trending downward the last several years.

The fact that the Cards aren’t sold out is interesting.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baseball attendance in general has been trending downward the last several years.

That may be true but this thread is about the Cardinal’s lack of offense turning off the Cardinal fans. I don’t think there is enough statistical evidence yet to say that is true.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Bling wrote:

That trip is not my ultimate claim to fame in the ballgame attending derby. I am told I attended a Cards vs. Mets game at the Polo Grounds in late summer of 1963, in which Stan the Man appeared in one of his final games before calling it quits. I do not remember as I was maybe kindergarten age. But still, I feel almost famous.

IMO the Polo Grounds was one of the greatest venues for baseball. I would rather go to just about any of the old parks from the 60’s as the experience of them having hosted so much baseball history plus the smell of cigars was what it was all about for me.

bccran
    Participant

The smell of cigars, and old guys who knew more about baseball than we’ll ever know!

bccran
    Participant

No, gscottar. But just enuf statistical evidence to see that the Cards offense is in the bottom half of MLB recently. That’s probably not too good. You think?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All I know is that we are 5-4 and one game out of first place. That is all that matters to me.

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,013 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.