Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 1,013 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman – lots of K’s. .910 fielding % with 21 errors last year. Can he stick at 3B?
    Montero – worse fielder, terrible numbers at AA, his highest level, questions about him at 3B all along. If DH stays his bat may come around and give him a spot, more likely a move to LF.
    Nunez – I’ve seen little of him. But everything I’ve read says he can hit, has no position.
    Walker – 18 years old

Gorman-Errors are very unimportant in the early minors. The metrics we do have are generally positive on Gorman. If Bob Reed likes him (and he was very high on Gorman’s defense), that’s enough for me.

Montero-Broken hamate bone. I can promise you can throw out any stats he had last year. His 2018 age 19 stats were elite.

Nunez-I agree, he’s young and probably not a 3B long term. But at his age you stick with it as long as you can.

Walker-Again, even younger but you never know what you’ll get.

I still wouldn’t block Gorman with anyone but a cheap, versatile star 3B. Jose Ramirez would fit the bill. Maybe Devers. A hard no on Arenado for me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good thing or bad thing? – Tommy Edman now leads the team with 26 RBI. That ties him for 46th in the National League. League leader Marcell Ozuna has over double that, 55.

bccran
    Participant

It would have been nice to have both Ozuna and Carlson in the lineup.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s not a chance that Ozuna would be playing as well in this lineup, in this park. He’d be lucky to have half the RBIs. SunTrust is an incredible hitter’s park and Busch is a killer of right handed power hitters.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Time to move Carlson up in the batting order?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, it is too bad the front office could not have predicted that COVID would come and cause the DH to be implemented in the NL immediately. They should have known they could have kept Ozuna without having to continue his terrible defense in left field. Fire them all! 😉

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Kinda looks weird but should they…
    1. Wong 2B
    2. Carlson LF
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Edman 3B
    5. DeJong SS
    6. Carpenter DH
    7. Molina C
    8. Bader CF
    9. Fowler RF

Miller, Ravelo, O’Neill, Wieters

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“He got off to a nice start this season but things have a way of balancing out. In the last 28 days he’s slashed .207 / .330 / .424 / .754
    And this is the guy you want hitting cleanup as we drive into the playoffs JJ? You might want to reconsider that.” — bccran
    ————–

My statistical opinions don’t change direction like the wind. What you failed to mention is Millers slash line during those 28 days was bettered by only Goldschmidt on the roster, so I’m simply endorsing the 2nd best bat, just as Shildt has done.

Later you mention DeJong as a cleanup candidate. Care to post his last 28days slash line beside of Millers? Didn’t think so.

Miller didn’t play the 5 games in July, but in both August and Sept, Miller has clearly been the better batter. No reconsideration necessary from me, the numbers speak for themselves when they are presented fully, and not parsed to fit your agenda.

bccran
    Participant

Please don’t denigrate another poster, jj.
    Just address posts. All you have to do is look at the last several years for Miller. He hasn’t been a consistent starter on the last 4 teams that he’s played for. He was a reserve. That’s a long was from being a bonafide cleanup hitter. DeJong crushed 30 home runs last season. Huge difference.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

denigrate, now there’s a stretch. The numbers will speak for themselves if you post them ALL, FULLY.

last 28 days:
    Miller .207 / .330 / .424 / .754
    DeJong .248 / .322 / .343 / .665

appears you should take your own advice and reconsider.

Don’t be concerned we disagree, be concerned you disagree with the manager, he’s a lifer who earned his position. I’ll add Miller to your list.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards had the perfect second place hitter.

AAA 2019 – .344/.431/.571/1.003/ 17 SBs
    MLB 2019 – .300/.391/.500/.891
    MLB 2020 – .278/.365/.685/1.050

Did they really need another left handed pitcher when they had just signed Kim and already had Gomber and Cabrera?

Why would you need to worry about that guy when you have this guy already?

AAA 2018 .311/.385/.693/1.078
    MLB 2018 .254/.303/.511/.814

Or this guy?

MLB 2019 .316/.409/.684/1.093

Seems like the Cards made the right choice from my obviously representative samples, no?

Also, of you always take a chance on an elite left handed pitching prospect for spare parts. Liberatore and Gomber and Cabrera are not comparable at all. Gomber is a #5 starter and Cabrera is a reliever. Liberatore is a front of the rotation guy who just got rave reviews from the Cards’ alternate camp.

bccran
    Participant

I get a kick out of fans certainty summarizations –

“Gomber is a #5 starter”
    That’s pure opinion. What’s his ERA in the 3 games he’s started this season? He may be better than some people think.

“Cabrera is a reliever”
    In 27 games in 2018 for the Montgomery Biscuits, he started 25. In 2019, when he was at Memphis, he started 18 of 20 games.

Also, when I talked about moving toward 2021, I said that it looks like it’s headed toward Goldy, DeJong, and Carlson being the MOTO guys. If anyone wants to argue for Miller being a MOTO guy moving forward into the future, have at it.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Miller needs to be allowed to chase the FA dollars this offseason. He’s a platoon bat, good vs only RHP’s, and that creates a log-jamb, because our best place to hide Carpenter is at 60% of the DH PA’s (Edman at 3B). Millers negative D makes it harder to open up DH for Carpenter. Let Miller walk.

To answer a previous question bccran asked, I would endorse giving a 2 yr deal to FA-to-be RHB Kevin Pillar. He would fit our roster better than LHB Miller, both at DH and in the OF. Pillar is an outstanding outfielder, base runner and feasts on LHP’s (career 121 ops+, .464 slg%). His 2020 sss vs LHP’s is a 163 ops+, 79 PA’s, suggesting that skillset vs lefties is intact. Pillar is finishing a 1/4.25mil contract this season.

Because O’Neill has reverse splits to date (best vs RHP’s), Pillar would give Shildt another option in the OF, along with a RHB option to sit Carpenter vs LHB’s, and, press Carpenter for the DH role. Pillar is my RHB’r version of a possible Pederson signing.

bccran
    Participant

I just checked Goldy’s splits last season, and he had 682 plate appearances.
    Of those, only 127 were against left handed pitchers. That’s 18.6% of the time.
    So if we see right handed pitching 81.4% of the time, wouldn’t it behoove us to get a proven power bat for the outfield who hits from the left side?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ, I totally endorse the Pillar idea. I have been a fan of his for quite sometime. It would create a logjam for RH OF’s though. It would be hard to have Pillar, O’Nell, Bader, Thomas, and Ravelo, not to mention Fowler and possibly Pederson. Two or three of those names would have to go.

Brian, it is my opinion that even the the FO knew the DH was going to be implemented they still wouldn’t have retained Ozuna. His salary would have pushed our payroll into the $185M range. I don’t think DeWitt would have sanctioned that.

bccran
    Participant

It would, gscottar, if you had traded a second baseman making $10.25 million and getting someone to take on part of the salary of a left handed relief guy making $11.5 million.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Losing Wong’s defense would be a bigger deal than some make it out to be. Edman isn’t close to the defender Wong is. Run prevention is an important aspect of the game also.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get a kick out of fans certainty summarizations –

“Gomber is a #5 starter”
    That’s pure opinion. What’s his ERA in the 3 games he’s started this season? He may be better than some people think.

“Cabrera is a reliever”
    In 27 games in 2018 for the Montgomery Biscuits, he started 25. In 2019, when he was at Memphis, he started 18 of 20 games.

Gomber has done an admirable job filling in. Like I said, as a back end starter he’s fine. His 2018 starts would paint more the role that most scouts and the team themselves would see him filling. A low 4s ERA pitcher who strikes out a few and walks more than you’d like. I don’t dislike him like you hate our young outfielders or anything. He’s just no Liberatore.

As for Cabrera, Trevor Rosenthal was a starter his whole minor league career too and has never started a game. Cabrera wasn’t great in his starts last year. It’s OK to call him a reliever. I think he will be a very good one for a long time. Again, he’s no Liberatore.

Maybe if you were comparing two players that actually lined up in their ceilings and roles… Thompson and Liberatore…I’d have taken your point seriously.

bccran
    Participant

Sorry you don’t take my points seriously, 25. I try to take yours that way. I may not agree with them, but I take them seriously. Just a courtesy.

bccran
    Participant

I would suggest to posters, that they not judge Cabrera as a starter on his only 2 major league starts. As a 22 year old. That might not be wise.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gs, with a 2021 26man roster, and the DH, I would have to eliminate Ravelo and Thomas from the OF unless injury occured, as the roster is now. Whether it’s Pederson or Pillar, the OF gets crowded, without a trade. Fowler, Bader, O’Neill, Carlson, plus an addition is five. Who knows if we go 13/13 next season, or 14/12, pitchers / batters.

Shildt bats DeJong at cleanup vs LHP’s this season, and his mlb splits are reverse splits also, 103 ops+ vs RHP and 87 vs LHP. Maybe he feels DeJongs power is his best choice. Miller did nothing to help this DH deficiency vs LHP’s and Carps going to play (hopefully at just DH). Miller did great vs RHB’s, then a lefty shows up, Carp / Miller sit, and we struggle at cleanup behind Goldy (is what I’m trying to address).

I’m trying not to shop in the JD Martinez isle. Not even the Starling Marte isle. I’d be surprised if Miller, Pillar and Pederson don’t all sign in the same 1/5-7mil range.

The 2021 bench with a DH needs a platoon bat for Carp at DH, a backup catcher, a UI, and a 4th OF. But I reserve the right to say I’m wrong too 🙂

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran, your sample is too small, your 18% is misleading your analysis. Step up to MLB 2020, again using batting splits, PA’s vs RHP’s, and PA’s vs LHP’s. I monitor this every season, it’s been between 25 and 30% since I can remember, no matter where the players move to each offseason.

I look at it like every fourth PA, the team takes a PA vs a lefty, and I know I’ve built in room because sometimes it’s closer to 30%. It may vary team to team, or by divisions, etc., but overall….

bccran
    Participant

Goldy played in 161 games, so his splits on plate appearances vs. RHPs and LHPs are good enough for me. But to be on the safe side, I took DeJong who played in 159 games. He faced lefties only 19.6% of the time. That kind of seals it. We need to get a left handed hitting OF bat this off season. One with a degree of pop.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For mlb 2020, it’s 27%, just finished it. That’s in the typical yearly range of 25 to 30%. I wanted to know in case you needed input running a much larger sample. I always wait for the offseason.

Roster design, for next season, should be based on what mlb might throw at us, because no-one knows the player movement going forward. Just an opinion, not saying you are wrong by using just two players and the same schedule they played.

FYI, the NL through yesterday was a strong 27% and the AL a strong 26%.

bccran
    Participant

Did you break out a difference between leagues?

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 1,013 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.