Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 905 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I bow to all of you…

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Wait, is it Groundhog’s Day?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they bring Yadi back too our team D will be stellar by adding Arenado. Even when Fowler starts they can finish the game with any of Carlson, Bader, O’Neill, Thomas…. It would be hard to name a better overall defensive team.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they bring Yadi back too our team D will be stellar by adding Arenado. Even when Fowler starts they can finish the game with any of Carlson, Bader, O’Neill, Thomas…. It would be hard to name a better overall defensive team.

I was just thinking that. Our pitchers must be thrilled with what sort of defense they will have behind them. The infield is going to be elite (even conceding a step back from Wong to Edman), and the OF is underrated. The lineup instantly got a cleanup hitter that makes the entire rest of it look better. If Carlson hits more like he did when he came back up and we get O’Neill, Thomas and Dejong looking like the above average hitters we know they can be…look out.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am having trouble believing I did not wake up in “a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity, the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge . .”.

An aspect that I have not seen mentioned yet is that having Arenado in the lineup should help Goldschmidt, but we will get around to the proposed lineups quite soon surely.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goold tweeted a nice one last night. He included Carp at DH and Yadi at catcher. Wish i could link for ya.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This one, jj? I’d like it more with O’Neill and his defense/power in it but I agree, it looks better than I thought it would.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume Gorman just had an ‘Oh crap’ moment.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo just earned himself a whole lot of goodwill from me even if he closes up shop on this off-season, but boy would that lineup look spiffy if he could swing a trade for Brandon Nimmo. Mets fans are still anxious for a great glove in CF…

Also wouldn’t mind a Brad Miller reunion as a LH PH/DH, as I believe Nigel mentioned.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yep, thanks 25. Gormans “oh crap” moment is not as bad as the pitchers headed to COL, bling!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

To add on to multiple posts about “who could be moved for payroll reasons”, I’ve been preaching about Mikolas to the Angels (or similar) who are desperate for pitching. I would say his value to contract is close to even money.

In 2022-2023 Liberatore and Thompson should be ready with Hudson back. Assuming Gomber is gone (quick cry), for 2021 they will still have JF, Kim, Waino, CMart, Ponce, Cabrera, Oviedo, Reyes, Woodford(maybe), and I’m sure I’m missing someone.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Would any team want to take the risk to acquire three years of Mikolas without knowing that he is fully healthy and back to where he was before flexor tendon surgery?

I read a number of Cardinals fans say they are skeptical enough they would not put him in St. Louis’ rotation yet. So how could the Cards get full value in trade right now?

bccran
    Participant

Kudos to BDW and Mo. Great move to bring some lightening into the lineup and perhaps the best third base glove in MLB.
    A sportswriter called him one of the greatest players of all time and a sure future member of the HOF. That’s pretty strong. Terrific addition.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any chance Carpenter is in this deal? And 2022/23 might have Gorman as DH.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Uniform number trivia…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

Any chance Carpenter is in this deal?

I guess until the trade is official, anything is technically possible. But that would be a fairly large omission in the initial reports.

bccran
    Participant

Rumors are – Gomber, Woodford, Rondon, Torres, and Baker.

Deal probably pushes Gorman and Montero to the OF. Outfield of Montero-Carlson-Gorman.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Rumors are – Gomber, Woodford, Rondon, Torres, and Baker.

If you scroll back or check out the article on the front page, Rosenthal suggests it is either-or between Rondon and Woodford, not both. Jeff Passan later said his sources indicate Baker is not included. So, we are not sure yet.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Making lemons into lemonade? Is the P-D suggesting that Ken Rosenthal, who broke the story, is irresponsible?

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I mean if Cards got this done with only giving up 1 top 10 prospect and none in the top 5 and got 50mil that is a fleece.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Stanton trade had MIA sending 30mil to the NYY if Stanton didn’t opt out. It’s actually payable during 2026, 27′ and 28′ seasons, not up front, since Stanton did not opt out after 2020. The 30mil wouldn’t have been paid if Stanton had opted out.

The 50mil could be at the backend of Arenado’s deal also, if he doesn’t opt out. If it is, that could be why Arenado is deferring salary, to help stl payroll during the seasons before his 2022 opt out. If Arenado doesn’t opt out, like Stanton, then that may be when the 50mil starts to kick in.

could be….

1982 willie
    Participant

I’m not sure about the batting lineup above. I definitely don’t like carpenter hitting fifth. I think spots 1, 2, and 5 are interesting and depend partly on the way the manager may want to play and how people are hitting at the time. Based on performance to this point I’m leaning more to having edman lead off with Dejong batting second, and carlson batting fifth though that does make us heavy on righties at top so I could see maybe switching Dejong and carlson for that reason. I’m not a big fan of worrying about that cause a lot of hitters and pitchers go against the grain far as how they match up. Either way I don’t want carpenter near the top 5. I actually thing yadi should be batting 6th cause mainly I don’t want his lack of speed to be anywhere near top of order. Put carpenter 7th, that keeps them where they need to be. Then the next two spots no matter who plays will have decent wheels. If carpenter isn’t playing, things could be a little different.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How can a $15 million year be added? I thought you couldn’t take a large pay cut year to year. Not that I am complaining, just curious.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is a really good read. I highly recommend it to get to know Arenado the person.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched Gomber in Peoria where he was a man among boys and imagined what might be. I guess a guy can contribute in unexpected ways.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 905 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.