Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 16 posts - 876 through 891 (of 891 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

DH and 1B (after Goldy’s contract ends) seem to be the most natural slots. But I wouldn’t rule out a corner outfield position. He has the arm.

Participant

Free

DH and 1B (after Goldy’s contract ends) seem to be the most natural slots. But I wouldn’t rule out a corner outfield position. He has the arm.

As far as the player that we will probably most regret trading in this deal? I agree with Brian – Tony Locey.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can someone tell me, does he keep his opt out after 2021 and gain one after 2022 or is it after 2022 and 2023. I thought the first one I read from espn yesterday may have been mistaken, it said 2022 and 2023 but others after it said 2021 and 2022 but I just read one that said after 2022, and 2023. Which one is it.

Participant

Free

Googling it, it says his opt outs are after the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t read all of this thread so I don’t know if this has been discussed or not. If so, I apologize.

My questions is this:

If the 2-4 in the batting order are Carlson, Goldschmidt and Arenado, who bats fifth providing protection for Arenado?

same question if Goldy and NA are 4/3 instead of 3/4.
    who bats fifth protecting the clean-up hitter?

most would say DeJong, but is that REALLY much protection?

Participant

DM…. let’s just be happy that we finally have a bonefide 3-4 tandem. What do you want an egg in your beer? ha ha. Perhaps O’Neill or Thomas could be the guy you are looking for. If not, DeJong will have to suffice. He may have a big year.

Participant

Watch the

gscott

video…. its a riot.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the idea of Dejong if he can get a little rest from time to time (Sosa or Edman with Carp at 2B?). He has always been better before his legs went out from under him.

First half: .266/.338/.470, .808 OPS
    Second half: .239/.305/.444, .750 OPS

I feel with regular rest that he could be the former hitter and not the latter. Hopefully there’s enough depth on the infield to do just that this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We have always expected too much offensively from a .250ish hitting shortstop, even though he can pop one out versus RHP. Granted, we haven’t had much choice, but DeJong does not constitute protection for the cleanup hitter. Ideally, he could finally not have to bat 3rd or 5th any more, and he has never had the OBP to be top of the order. But it looks like we are going with our gaggle of down in the order type young outfielders that we mass produce hoping one develops offensively, but there are only so many down in the order slots.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blingboy, I don’t think it’s too much to expect Dejong to be an upper .700s/low .800s OPS guy if he doesn’t have to start literally every game at SS. Remember when he cost us two games with the gaffes on throws in September 2019? I’m pretty convinced that Dejong doesn’t handle the grind as well as some of the others, and that’s OK. With Edman finally free of having to man 3B, I hope he or Sosa can handle SS on occasion so that Dejong can play more like the “first half” numbers guy. With his defense, that’s a very valuable guy and one that can hit #5, although it would be nice to have a stronger #5 hitter so he can drop to #6 in 2022.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman with a good outlook on everything.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-nolan-gorman-wants-to-find-perch-with-cardinals

“Obviously Arenado is a great third baseman, and having him as a teammate only makes that lineup better,” Gorman said. “I’ll do whatever I have to do to get into that lineup. If that’s playing second base — obviously [Kolten] Wong signs with the different team and they have other infielders — but if I can hit and put as much work as I can into ultimately second base, I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna grind until I become a really good defensive second baseman if that’s where they need me. If they need me in the outfield, I’m going to work just as hard out there as I would, you know, anywhere else.

“If I’m hitting, that’s my calling card. But if I can add a little bit of value to the second-base position or whatever, I’m down to do it.”

Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, we will have to somewhat disagree about DeJong. I think he got homer happy and hit .200 with fielding distraction issues for the second half (2019) trying to be a middle of the lineup guy. I hate to see him put in that role again. But I like him there better than Yadi or any of the outfielders, at least for now.

As to Gorman, there was literally nothing else he could have said. I don’t know if he is athletic enough for second. Wish him well.

Participant

Free

The Cards are “weeding out” and filling the team with guys like Waino, Goldy, DeJong, Edman, and Arenado. Guys who support their teammates above everything else, and put the team first. Gorman is cut of that cloth. So’s Carlson.

Participant

Paid - Annual

“the return for NA” was the subject of a Rockies podcast I was watching.
    They are pretty happy to get Mateo Gil.
    They wanted him badly in the draft but the Cards, drafting just ahead of the Rockies, took him.

Viewing 16 posts - 876 through 891 (of 891 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years