Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 876 through 900 (of 905 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

DH and 1B (after Goldy’s contract ends) seem to be the most natural slots. But I wouldn’t rule out a corner outfield position. He has the arm.

bccran
    Participant

DH and 1B (after Goldy’s contract ends) seem to be the most natural slots. But I wouldn’t rule out a corner outfield position. He has the arm.

As far as the player that we will probably most regret trading in this deal? I agree with Brian – Tony Locey.

1982 willie
    Participant

Can someone tell me, does he keep his opt out after 2021 and gain one after 2022 or is it after 2022 and 2023. I thought the first one I read from espn yesterday may have been mistaken, it said 2022 and 2023 but others after it said 2021 and 2022 but I just read one that said after 2022, and 2023. Which one is it.

bccran
    Participant

Googling it, it says his opt outs are after the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t read all of this thread so I don’t know if this has been discussed or not. If so, I apologize.

My questions is this:

If the 2-4 in the batting order are Carlson, Goldschmidt and Arenado, who bats fifth providing protection for Arenado?

same question if Goldy and NA are 4/3 instead of 3/4.
    who bats fifth protecting the clean-up hitter?

most would say DeJong, but is that REALLY much protection?

14NyquisT
    Participant

DM…. let’s just be happy that we finally have a bonefide 3-4 tandem. What do you want an egg in your beer? ha ha. Perhaps O’Neill or Thomas could be the guy you are looking for. If not, DeJong will have to suffice. He may have a big year.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Watch the

gscott

video…. its a riot.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the idea of Dejong if he can get a little rest from time to time (Sosa or Edman with Carp at 2B?). He has always been better before his legs went out from under him.

First half: .266/.338/.470, .808 OPS
    Second half: .239/.305/.444, .750 OPS

I feel with regular rest that he could be the former hitter and not the latter. Hopefully there’s enough depth on the infield to do just that this year.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have always expected too much offensively from a .250ish hitting shortstop, even though he can pop one out versus RHP. Granted, we haven’t had much choice, but DeJong does not constitute protection for the cleanup hitter. Ideally, he could finally not have to bat 3rd or 5th any more, and he has never had the OBP to be top of the order. But it looks like we are going with our gaggle of down in the order type young outfielders that we mass produce hoping one develops offensively, but there are only so many down in the order slots.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blingboy, I don’t think it’s too much to expect Dejong to be an upper .700s/low .800s OPS guy if he doesn’t have to start literally every game at SS. Remember when he cost us two games with the gaffes on throws in September 2019? I’m pretty convinced that Dejong doesn’t handle the grind as well as some of the others, and that’s OK. With Edman finally free of having to man 3B, I hope he or Sosa can handle SS on occasion so that Dejong can play more like the “first half” numbers guy. With his defense, that’s a very valuable guy and one that can hit #5, although it would be nice to have a stronger #5 hitter so he can drop to #6 in 2022.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman with a good outlook on everything.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-nolan-gorman-wants-to-find-perch-with-cardinals

“Obviously Arenado is a great third baseman, and having him as a teammate only makes that lineup better,” Gorman said. “I’ll do whatever I have to do to get into that lineup. If that’s playing second base — obviously [Kolten] Wong signs with the different team and they have other infielders — but if I can hit and put as much work as I can into ultimately second base, I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna grind until I become a really good defensive second baseman if that’s where they need me. If they need me in the outfield, I’m going to work just as hard out there as I would, you know, anywhere else.

“If I’m hitting, that’s my calling card. But if I can add a little bit of value to the second-base position or whatever, I’m down to do it.”

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, we will have to somewhat disagree about DeJong. I think he got homer happy and hit .200 with fielding distraction issues for the second half (2019) trying to be a middle of the lineup guy. I hate to see him put in that role again. But I like him there better than Yadi or any of the outfielders, at least for now.

As to Gorman, there was literally nothing else he could have said. I don’t know if he is athletic enough for second. Wish him well.

bccran
    Participant

The Cards are “weeding out” and filling the team with guys like Waino, Goldy, DeJong, Edman, and Arenado. Guys who support their teammates above everything else, and put the team first. Gorman is cut of that cloth. So’s Carlson.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“the return for NA” was the subject of a Rockies podcast I was watching.
    They are pretty happy to get Mateo Gil.
    They wanted him badly in the draft but the Cards, drafting just ahead of the Rockies, took him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And one day, the axe just fell… Oops, he resigned… 😉

14NyquisT
    Participant

Rox sorely need a new direction. I actually feel bad for them.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rockies are a train wreck. Trevor Story will be next to go.

wesor1
    Participant

Free

Appreciate the Dylan reference Brian…hopefully he is soon to be on the road heading for another joint.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I’m in wait and see mode on Goldschmidt, Aranado and Dejong.

I think Paul and Nolan are going to be .820-.840 ops guys. Playing 81 in our park is going to take some power out of then as with most guys. Dejong I have said before he’s more of a high .750 ops guy at best due his approach and that is being generous. I like him at SS if the glove plays and at 2nd

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From Zach Crizer of Yahoo Sports:

Nolan is being Nolan
    While there was no reasonable way to defend the Nolan Arenado trade from the Colorado Rockies’ perspective, there was at least one pesky question: What was up with the superstar third baseman’s subpar 2020? Was he banged up? Disgruntled? Suffering from general pandemic malaise? Or was something more permanently amiss?

After 41 games in his new St. Louis Cardinals threads, it would appear everything is hunky dory with Arenado. Even coming off a sweep at the hands of the Padres, he has the Cardinals in first place, has homered in three straight games and remains one of the most difficult batters in the league to strike out.

It’s not surprising he would snap back to form, but the symmetry of just how completely he has rebounded — amid questions of aging or decline or the mythical Coors Field effect — is striking.

His line from 2015 to 2019, the peak of his powers in Colorado: .300/.362/.575

His line in 2021 so far: .300/.353/.563.

So yeah, it was a very good trade for St. Louis. — Zach Crizer

1982 willie
    Participant

It was always going to be a great trade for the Cardinals. Better since they gave up little but he would have been worth it if they gave up more.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NA was mentioned in Jeff Gordon’s QA recently. What would he be thinking as to opting out, and does that affect what Mo will be trying to do to prop up the roster. I haven’t seen this aspect of the current situation discussed here much so I thought I’d would throw it out there.

On another note, he thinks that when Dejong returns we will see a lot of Edman in the outfield for two reasons. First, Sosa is out of options and playing better than our reserve outfielders. Second, he doesn’t think it likely that Bader, Carleson and O’Neill will simultaneously remain healthy and productive. So PDJ at SS, Sosa at 2B, Edman filling in in the OF.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is Sosa a 2ndbaseman or a shortstop? Please dont anyone say both. He is either a SS or 2ndbaseman.

As Herzog used to say……”I want a SS playing SS and a 2ndbaseman playing 2nd….”

Viewing 25 posts - 876 through 900 (of 905 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years