Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 905 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Arenado also followed that up by saying, “I know I said that in Colorado too, but I mean it.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only way I could see the Cards losing Arenado is if he somehow has an MVP level season or two in a resurgent market, or if the team is non-competitive with ownership showing that they are unwilling to compete. I don’t think either is super likely. The Cards could use their capital ($$ freed up and prospects) to dip into the deep end of the market again as soon as next fall. It’s a good spot to be in.

PadsFS
    Participant

I don’t have a computer in front of me, what would the contracts be that he would be looking at going into 2022 and 23? It’s like a 6yr/$180M deal starting at age 31 and a 5yr/$145M deal at age 32?

PadsFS
    Participant

Springer just signed for 6yr/$150M at age 31 while a year ago Donaldson signed a 4yr 92M deal going into his age 34 season. There’s probably better comparisons but that’s the two that came to mind for me.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pads, Arenado’s deal is as such:

2021: $35M
    2022: $35M
    2023: $35M
    2024: $35M
    2025: $32M
    2026: $27M
    2027: $15M

So after 2021 he’d have a 6 year, $179M deal left and after 2022 it would be 5 years and $145M.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know one thing, I will take Goldenado over Bryzzo any day of the week. 🙂

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Presser was great today and what a nice change over all the inactivity. Now lets get a bat for the outfield.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The thing I don’t get is that Colorado didn’t have to do a deal right now. Any time in the next few months.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Mo on twitter

With the addition of Nolan, we believe we went from a good to great team. … We have a belief that we are going to be good.”

I’ve studied this, and believe that it means that Mo is putting feelers out on Goldy. Good to great? Then back to good again? Think about it.

smoke
    Participant

Free

i’m focusing on the opt-out clauses. frankly, i see almost zero chance of Nolan leaving in a year. the only way i can see it being a consideration is if he has a great year and the Cardinals do poorly. but even then, i don’t see him going to free agency next winter while the Great Unknown, a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, is being negotiated. better to stand pat for another year and take your guaranteed $35M, no matter how bad this year is. i think things have to go horribly wrong with this club for him to leave in two years, but i just don’t see it. but still, if it does, and he leaves, well, in return for those five players, we got two years of Arenado, one of ’em at no cost. i can live with that. so i think it’s two years, or the whole enchilada. ofcourse, i could be wrong, and i usually am…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I love getting Nolan, but am not going to get on this bashing-Bridich/Montfort bandwagon. I have been around long enough to know that trades do not always go the way you think they will. Let’s see where things are in 3-5 years. Could be the Cards are on the cusp of another run like 2004-2006 when they had the MV3, but then you might end up with several old, broken down parts that make you say “what happened, we were supposed to be good?”

Overall though, if you are the Cardinals how can you not do this deal. You make the deal and see where the chips fall. I am officially in favor of the deal, but am not going to automatically say it will be hugely lopsided. For now I just hope Arenado bounces back after the injury plagued short-season of a year ago.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You know how to spoil a party, so cal. 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Arenado said he told the Rockies nine months ago that he wanted to be traded.

And he could control where he would go. Monfort reportedly didn’t want him to go to his childhood team, the Dodgers. Perhaps the Cardinals were no. 2 on his list.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the only way that Arenado opts out over the next two years is if we do not get a handle on this virus. No fans in the stands gives him far fewer opportunities to fall in love with us. One of this club’s finest assets is it’s fan base. If we fans are kept on the outside of Busch stadium looking in, we definitely could end up losing him.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Other clubs would be in same boat so he’s not likely to get better offer elsewhere.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Arenado will make most of his new teammates better players, but Shiltz’ IQ just went up 20 poihts.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

prospect Nolan Gorman took to Instagram tonight to lightheartedly consider a shift in his career trajectory:

I couldn’t find this in his insta or Twitter. Maybe the joke was a little too raw.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I cannot congratulate ownership and the front office enough for pulling off this deal. I was a doubter from the start as I did not see a way to make this deal work. Boy, was I wrong and I am happy I was.

I have from feeling so-so to excited about the Cardinals prospects in 2021.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for Gorman, he reviews I have read lead me to beluev3 the Cards believe he will be okay defensively at third base. He has a strong arm. Am not sure he is a fit at second base, but admit I could be wrong. Is there any chance the Cardinals will starting working him out as a corner outfielder and/or first baseman?

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 905 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years