Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 891 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

That $50 million only matters if Arenado does not opt out.

He could opt out, renegotiate with the Cardinals, sign a new deal, and then the Rockies owe nothing, is my guess, as that $50 million is probably backloaded.

And I am guessing Arenado couldn’t just “waive” his 2021 opt out, so he has a gentleman’s agreement not to exercise it, and that’s why they are putting in the 2022 opt out.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The volume of traffic today is overloading the server. I apologize for the this and am actively looking to move to a different hosting service.

BW, not at all blaming you for this. It happens sometimes. Thank you for taking care of this place where we can get so much enjoyment of our team.

I think we are all excited that the Cards actually did something we pretty much believed was impossible this off-season. Not sure what got into Dewitt, but I’m glad he opened de wallet. 😁

Participant

Free

Yeah, having a server crash on this type of news is to be expected

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not a big fan of nolan getting to keep his 2021 opt out, would rather it be after 2022 but if so it’s still worth it especially if we are getting 50 million, if that’s right. Really nothing to lose.

Participant

Free

Stlcard

I was being ludicrous ( short trip for me) but now it could turn out to be my greatest call ever. I sure hope it happens. The opt out doesn’t bother me. I can’t see any team giving him more than 35 million. We’ll see. Now, I have to say this because it;ls true. They can’t stop now. Arenado and Goldschmidt are not enoogh to win the WS. They need to add more offense. This is a good start but you can’t put on the brakes. Those on here who work for the Cardinal’s intelligence division need to convey this to Junior.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Walt who? Mo has been in charge of baseball ops longer than Walt now. They each have one world title – so far.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So the Cardinals are essentially getting Arenado for 6 years/$150M? That is essentially the George Springer contract and Arenado is younger. This could be a steal for the Cards.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LACF said:

He could opt out, renegotiate with the Cardinals, sign a new deal, and then the Rockies owe nothing, is my guess, as that $50 million is probably backloaded.

I am not so sure. Mo said as recently as today again that they expect to have a down payroll in 2021. Unless they get a lot of cash up front – or unload some salary in another trade – they would not make their target.

This is not the “salary neutral” trade they have said they were looking for.

Participant

Free

ESPN is reporting sources say Baker isn’t in the deal. It is going to be interesting to see which players are actually heading to the mountains of Colorado.

Participant

Free

So the Cardinals are essentially getting Arenado for 6 years/$150M? That is essentially the George Springer contract and Arenado is younger. This could be a steal for the Cards.

Yeah, but Springer only cost cash, not prospects/players

Participant

Paid - Annual

There is also supposedly deferred money in the deal. That is an old National strategy. Not sure I like that but whatever.

I really can’t see Arenado opting out unless he is MVP. Walking away from $35M/yr would be hard to do.

Participant

Free

I am not so sure. Mo said as recently as today again that they expect to have a down payroll in 2021. Unless they get a lot of cash up front – or unload some salary in another trade – they would have to get a lot of $$ relief this season.

Sometimes, things change. The Cardinals were already set to win the division. Now, they are virtually a lock, barring injuries.

Maybe Mo & DeWitt saw a market inefficiency and are squeezing the shorts.

Participant

Paid - Annual

LA, if that list is true we aren’t giving anything close to what I thought we would have to give up. Rockie fans have to be crushed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maybe and maybe not. We will see the financial details once the smoke clears.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals could still move more salary before the season starts. CMart could be on the block.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

If we kept Ortega, this will be a win. The rumor Baker isn’t in the deal really worries me.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So 3B and 1B could be locked up for several years. Does Gorman become DH, 2B, or traded for another big piece eventually?

Participant

Free

It is weird to see a speculated trade rumor involving the Cardinals come true

Participant

Paid - Three Months

If Gorman develops, there will be a spot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

CMart could be on the block.

He has been on the block for two years now…

Participant

Free

If Baker is not in the package, I figure Gorman is part of the deal. If Gorman is not in the deal, I hope they try him at 2B.

Participant

Free

They added one year at $15 million to Arenado’s deal.

I don’t think he is opting out.

Participant

Free

wanted to bring this over here cause it’s completely cracking me up. How did you know, mspaid?

Ha stlcard25 I had this in my clipboard from the other thread, ready to do this! Great minds think alike. Bravo to Jager for your perseverance!

Participant

Paid - Three Months

It just keeps getting better.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 891 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years