Josh Donaldson thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Josh Donaldson thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Carp looks like he’s 40. Lots of wear and tear, and not much fire.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

This team is above average offensively at every position but RF. They need a RF’er and an RBI bat. Moustakas and Hosmer don’t really move the needle on either of those. Donaldson provides one of those. Stanton or Martinez provide both.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

to me Carp looks like a guy who has already made his money. So what’s there to worry about?

NJ315
    Participant

Homer can because I think Carp will be traded. Keeping Carp would be a mistake imo.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB trade rumors has Josh Donalson saying he wants to finish his career in Toronto.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB trade rumors has Josh Donalson saying he wants to finish his career in Toronto.

bccran
    Participant

Carpenter is not held in high esteem by the FO anymore.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

At first base you would gain a gold glove and a bat that profiles in the middle of the order. Carpenter is neither of those things.

bccran
    Participant

The Cardinals traded for Fowler to be a catalyst at the top of the lineup, like he had been with the Cubs. Carpenter was asked to be an effective #3 hitter. The fact that he failed in that role was as big of a problem as anything else this season. The front office is not happy about that.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Really, the main question is whether DeWitt keeps his promise to have a top 3rd payroll. That will be about $175 million next year. This year they were not top 3rd but I give them a pass for there latin america spending. Next year they wont have that excuse.

bccran
    Participant

It’s not just a matter of spending money. It’s how wisely you spend it.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Really?

bccran
    Participant

Take a look at the Indians and Rockies payroll compared to the Cardinals. While you’re at it,
    please report what the Tigers payroll is and how they ended up this year.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals traded for Fowler to be a catalyst at the top of the lineup, like he had been with the Cubs. Carpenter was asked to be an effective #3 hitter. The fact that he failed in that role was as big of a problem as anything else this season. The front office is not happy about that.

This has been my gripe all season, and is one of the big reasons the Cardinals stagnated on offense. Carpenter and Piscotty equally share most of the blame for the less-than-planned offensive “production”.

Now most likely had Matheny stuck with Carpenter at the 3 spot, his numbers would have been about the same as they were for 2017. He did have fair power in terms of doubles and home runs, but you want a guy who hits consistently better than the lower half of the .200s. At #3. Walks are okay, but they are not going to get a guy in from second base and at 3 that’s what you are looking for. Walks to the #3 hitter should be the result of a more passive strategy – in other words they come from the pitcher working around the hitter because he is a threat to cause more damage with the bat (ala Joey Votto).

Now it could be that both Carpenter (shoulder) and Piscotty (injuries, off-field stress) rebound in ’18 due to the issues they had this season. Sometimes you find your solution within the organization, after a calendar year change.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Lol at people who think they know if the FO holds somebody in high esteem or not anymore.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike, I think the Cards must make changes, especially on offense. Without clear action, these two straight disappointing seasons will lead to erosion of profit and I do not think that the status quo is going to be acceptable to either (a growing segment of) the fan base or ownership.

bccran
    Participant

Just believe it, Onyx. You might learn something.

The front office put together a team this year that they thought could get into the playoffs, and it didn’t happen. They know the natives are restless and that moves need to be made to improve the team, as well as regenerate some excitement.

I found one comment particularly interesting about the Cards having so much depth now that they could fill up the lineups of two .500 MLB teams. That kind of tells the whole story.

bccran
    Participant

One move this year made no sense to me. You trade Adams for very little, and for Atlanta in 314 PAs he had 19 home runs and 58 RBI with a .858 OPS. He cooled off in August, but came back to hit almost .300 in September. His June was off the charts with 10 HRs and
    an OPS of 1.034. He also plays a good first base, as well as bringing power off the bench.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

But, hey, Adams leaving eventually made room for Voit, so you have that, at least! 😉

Seriously, this was another by-product of the limitations brought on by Carpenter. The team declared last fall that Carpenter would be the first baseman. Doing that before they had to, negatively impacting Adams’ trade value in the process, was the first mistake, IMO.

They topped that head-scratching move by deciding with about 10 days left in spring camp to put Adams in left field, a move that everyone (other than them, apparently) knew would fail.

A series of odd decisions by the Cardinals that culminated in a trade for a crap shoot teenager.

But when all was said and done, I think Adams had enough chances to prove he is good enough to be a first baseman for a championship-contending club and fell short.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… All that and more on the way. Our depth is pretty much absurd.

14NyquisT
    Participant

bc… yeah we could field a number of teams but we still wouldn’t have that feared bat in the order and we still wouldn’t have an ace pitcher (formerly known as the “stopper). Carpenter and ++ could go for an ace-type and CMart ++ could go for the lineup changing slugger. Just thinking, on the official opening of the hot-stove league. All that’s left now for the players is a bunch of Oct. tee-times…. again.

ps. How do you know that the FO thinks they need to change the makeup? They should know…. but maybe they don’t feel that way, as usual. And while we’re on the subject, the rooks will start producing when they feel a little more comfortable with the bigs. I promise. {{ go put your 26-30s in }}

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT, he “says” he knows somebody in front office LOL

bccran
    Participant

When I post something that I hear, it’s from inside.

1.) Matheny is safe for now. A poor showing in 2018 and he will probably be replaced.

2.) The Cardinals didn’t get the leadership they were looking for from several veteran players – especially one. They weren’t happy about that. They really missed Holliday’s steady hand.

3.) One of the younger players they were counting on heavily had a serious regression. They weren’t happy
    about that either.

The chemistry needs to change. They are looking for several veterans to come in and help change that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve asserted this kind of thing before. If MLB would require every team to play 50 players equally in every game, the Cards might win the World Series. The problem is that the front line guys are not quite good enough to compete with the best teams. Quantity alone is not enough.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

especially when you are going to get out managed pretty much against any team

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.