Josh Donaldson thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Josh Donaldson thread

Viewing 12 posts - 426 through 437 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Reading Brian’s article made me think about another complication with the crazy structure of Donaldson’s contract. What if he is traded? Unlikely since Atlanta most likely will be in contention. And there may be a NTC though I haven’t heard it mentioned. But the gentalmen’s agreement vs the option he can decline seems to get even muddier in that case.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Another thought, everyone seems to be looking at this from Donaldson’s viewpoint. Is rhere any advantage to the Braves doing it this way rather than through an option?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see where Atlanta is legally obligated to do anything for 2020. This whole “QO promise” is just a verbal agreement right? If so, what if the Braves say at the end of 2019 “we have changed our mind” or “you misinterpreted what we meant”? It might hurt their credibility in some circles but I don’t see what is stopping them from doing that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, Molina’s salary should have nothing to do with anything other than Molina. (Earlier, we did not come to a conclusion as to whether Molina’s salary is a real issue in acquiring players or one conjured up by Rick Hummel.)

Another factoid. Donaldson’s salary in his final year of arbitration in 2017 was a record $23 million. He did not go to hearing.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, we do not have access to his contract so we do not know if the QO agreement is verbal or written. However, given the stakes, both sides are likely to have protected themselves somehow. And further, Atlanta front office’s reputation with free agents would be mud if they reneged on even a verbal agreement, especially one which is now common knowledge. Doesn’t seem likely to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, I did not see an advantage for Atlanta with this approach when I thought it through. Do you?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have never been a big fan of picking up Donaldson. Has tailed off his peak years and injuries. Not sure what Atlanta gained by picking him up. That Camargo guy was a handfull for the Cardinals and his .806 OPS was slightly higher that Donaldson’s .801 for 2018. Then you have a young guy vs a 33 year old.

Participant

Free

Maybe the only advantage to Atlanta is that they were able to sign Donaldson because of this promise. Although, I would envision that the QO could be a detriment to Donaldson on the open market due to the potential loss of a draft pick to any team that signs him after 2019.

Participant

Free

I don’t see where Atlanta is legally obligated to do anything for 2020. This whole “QO promise” is just a verbal agreement right?

Contracts can be verbal – if there is an exchange of considerations. So, if Donaldson turned down a higher offer because of this promise, he can argue the money he gave up was a consideration….

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The original report (from Bernie Miklasz) that Donaldson was assured of receiving a qualifying offer from Atlanta following this season has been changed. Here is Bernie’s explanation of an honest misunderstanding now corrected.

“I wanted to pause here to sincerely apologize for putting out some incorrect information in an early version of this column. I’d misinterpreted what an agent told me, and assumed that the Braves assured Donaldson that they’d automatically make that QO at the end of the season. That’s not the case, and I didn’t vet the info properly. Bad form on my part.”

I updated the opening of my article to reflect this. Donaldson has a one-year contract. Assuming he is not traded, the Braves will have the right to make him a qualifying offer next fall, but are not obligated to do so.

A number of us spent time pondering the implications of what appeared to be an innovative contract approach, but which is not. So be it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That makes more sense now.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ah, shucks. All those words for nothing! Haha

Viewing 12 posts - 426 through 437 (of 437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years