Josh Donaldson thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Josh Donaldson thread

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see how anyone could think that getting a 1B and moving Carpenter to 3B would be a good move.
    I still say go all in for Harper.I doubt it happens though.I think Cards end up with Moustakas at 3B and Gyorko gets traded.I big resounding NO to Brantley.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by AvatarBw52.
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Not many here seem to want Carp at 3B.

Participant

Free

I don’t understand this love affair certain people have for Seager. Is there something I don’t know that we can just package some trash to Seattle and they eat about 15 million of the rest of his contract? The lesser of 2 evils I’d rather just have Moose. He’d cost less and likely not be under contract as long. God lets hope it’s neither!

Well there goes one short term solution off the board. Goldy and Zach might be coming. Darkhorse Machado and Harper.

Participant

Free

Always the samething. Cards make competitive offer but lose out.

Participant

Always the bridesmaid.

Participant

Free

Hey just what Mo is good at, making a offer that just isn’t good enough to get the job done…that will be a re-occurring theme this off-season just bet on it!

Participant

Thank you Atlanta. Way too much money for a guy whose best days are in the rearview mirror.

Participant

Paid - Annual

858booyah

Participant
    I don’t understand this love affair certain people have for Seager. Is there something I don’t know that we can just package some trash to Seattle and they eat about 15 million of the rest of his contract? The lesser of 2 evils I’d rather just have Moose. He’d cost less and likely not be under contract as long. God lets hope it’s neither!

Well there goes one short term solution off the board. Goldy and Zach might be coming. Darkhorse Machado and Harper.

Thank you! I have been wondering the same thing. It is almost as strange as the love for Carlos Santana.

Participant

Free

wagee, I disagree. I feel he will be very valuable for $23 million for 1 year. I wish the Cardinals would have signed him for that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not that I am favoring it or am against it, but it very clear how the Seager talk began. Some folks were looking around MLB for another bad contract to exchange for Fowler’s.

Participant

Free

It is almost as strange as the love for Carlos Santana.

Nobody is in love with Santana. But the Cardinals are going to keep trotting Dexter Fowler out there ahead of Tyler O’Neill and whoever else until Fowler is traded.

Fowler was the worst player on the team last year. If you read Goold (who is a glorified Cardinal PR man), the only way we can upgrade RF is to move Fowler. That will involve taking back a bad contract, OR paying down 95% of Fowler’s salary.

But hey, if you are fine with missing the playoffs every year so we don’t hurt Dexter’s feelings, you are certainly free to feel that way.

I would like Fowler gone.

Participant

Free

We already have Fowler and his contract. I don’t want to compound the issue by taking on more money owed to someone who can’t help the team very much. To me, Seager and Santana are basically doing just that. Something like Grienke is not. While he has a large contract, he is also still a very useful starting pitcher.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If this team takes on Greinke`s contract they should be tarred and feathered.If you are going to spend 30 million then do a damned player with a future (Harper).Not a damned 35 year pitcher.Crazy talk running amuck.

Participant

Free

No, it’s not crazy talk. If we are going to get rid of Fowler without eating his contract, I would rather take on Grienke than Seager or Santana.

My preference would be to sign Harper but not for 10 years unless it is structured to get him to opt out after around 6 years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Additional, very interesting news.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the mainstream media gets ideas from message boards? I know I do sometimes.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, have you ever heard of a contract like Donaldson’s where the team agrees beforehand to make a qualifying offer? That is why I don’t put much stock in the idea of rejecting someone’s possible contract proposal idea just because there are no precedents. Creative teams and agents are always breaking new ground.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t recall a comparable situation. I also do not know if it is in the contract or is simply a gentleman’s agreement.

My take is that this is a way Donaldson could get a deal done fast and not have to worry about getting frozen out later like some free agents did last winter. I bet his other “competitive offers” at this point were for just one year.

I do not expect that this particular case will occur often. My interpretation is that Donaldson is unsure enough that he will have a good 2019 season that he does not want to test the market again next winter, when Arenado and Rendon could also be available. Instead, Donaldson will take the two years guaranteed now. He seems to have the injury history and age that makes this appealing to him.

Frankly, I see no reason the Braves just didn’t write a two-year contract (with an opt out), since from their perspective, it appears to be just the same either way. The one additional thing this does do for Donaldson is burn up his one life-time qualifying offer, but that would only help him as a free agent again after the 2020 season. At that point, two years down the road, he may not be worth a qualifying offer, anyway.

P.S. I guess there is another upside for the player. If he has a tremendous 2019, he could decline the offer. A one-year deal with a second-year player option would accomplish the same, but without burning the QO.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Frankly, I see no reason the Braves just didn’t write a two-year contract,

That’s what I was thinking. Why not just make it a two year deal with an opt out? You can offer the guy a QO if he opts out and get the draft pick anyway, right?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

But this forces them to make the QO if he opts out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The source is unknown, but would mean more if it was not from St. Louis. My guess – and it is a guess only – is that cash could change the wind’s direction.

So was the report that Donaldson was not a primary target of the Cardinals this fall because he preferred Atlanta or is that an explanation for coming up short? If they really offered Flaherty last year, that seemed pretty aggressive.

We will never know about any of it for sure.

Participant

Free

If the front office runs into situations like Donaldson’s “headwinds”, they need to buckle down and consider it an accepted challenge to sign the player if they want him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not sure whether to thank you all for the discussion or be upset at myself for spending most of last evening writing this. Maybe both. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and let’s keep the talk going!

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

P.S. I’ve heard some suggest that one reason the Cardinals lost out on Donaldson was an unwillingness to pay any player a higher salary than $20 million-per-year catcher Yadier Molina – unless his name is Giancarlo Stanton or Bryce Harper, apparently.

If this is true then the Cardinals front office truly has zero idea what they are doing at the moment and we should all highly anticipate another season in 3rd or 4th place.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not paying Donaldson 1yr at more than 20mil per year is a smart move especially when he got ATL on the hook for at least the QO.

Not left handed, injury recent history, when healthy last year did nothign in the playoffs, with defense not being great, and is 33

A totally healthy MVP level Donaldson from a couple years back is probably worth it, this Donaldson isn’t that guy or at least hasnt proven he can be that guy since his injuries

And what other players would you acquire from this FA hitters class that deserve more than 20mil per year?

I don’t see any outside of Harper and Machado…If Pollock had a healthy productive last year maybe, if Cutch was 3 yrs younger sure, Donaldson from a couple years back sure

The FO made an offer, ATL’s dollar and QO pick up trumped what Cardinals offer which was less than 20mil seemingly.

I don’t see how it is a mistake at all, and saying they dont want to sign anyone over Yadi’s figure makes sense with who is available…

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years