Houston Astros Stealing Signs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Houston Astros Stealing Signs

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 594 total)
  • Author
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I remember years ago my very young daughter ducking her head under the coffee table when she didn’t want her Mom or me to see her.

Participant

Free

Bolsinger should be made aware that he can be countersued for filing a malicious lawsuit or he can be made to pay legal expenses of both sides. From his past record he has little to complain about and no way to prove anything.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Why hasn’t Bolsinger included MLB in his suit since they were informed and did nothing.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of have voiced concern for the Astro players who might face retaliation this year but this guy, who had the guts to speak up and do the right thing, is facing death threats.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28749183/athletics-mike-fiers-acknowledges-receiving-death-threats

Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Omertà! Very heartwarming when virtuous cheats and criminals espouse ethics such as loyalty.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I agree with Ortiz, something I rarely do. Fiers is such a hero but he waited until he got the money and ring before he yapped. But something evidently tripped his trigger to do it. Afterall, he is as guilty as the rest but since he is an American League pitcher, he only batted in interleague contests and nothing was expected of him. The reason I don’t respect him is that he did not report it as it was happening. He is so keen on honesty but delayed honesty allowed the system to exist when it could have been stopped in its tracks simply by him talking to the manager and GM.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 said:

…when it could have been stopped in its tracks simply by him talking to the manager and GM.

Since the manager admitted he already knew it was going on, but decided to not take action, what makes you think Luhnow would have done anything other than to tell Fiers to be quiet? It certainly seems that both the manager and GM were highly guilty since they were called out in Manfred’s report, suspended and fired (no pun intended).

Another point to remember is that Astros pitchers are not the ones who benefited significantly.

Participant

Free

I don’t blame the guy for not doing it while he was on the team. There is a big difference in snitching on your teammates, than snitching on ex teammates. He would have had to try to basically live with those teammates until he got traded or the season ended. Easy to say from afar what the guy should have done. Most people in regular jobs wont speak up about things cause they know that is their source of income and are fearful of reprisals.

Participant

Free

Omertà! Very heartwarming when virtuous cheats and criminals espouse ethics such as loyalty.

Brilliant line.

Funny how everyone finds a way to hate on whistle blowers. When they are anonymous, they are cowards for not owning it and hiding. When they own their words and don’t hide, they are still cowards.

Funny how Fiers is coward for telling the truth, but the guys who cheated (and lied to their friends about them tipping pitches) are not. Weird world we live in.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just yesterday, Big Papi was critical of Fiers. Interestingly, a few years ago, Papi was pardoned from his positive PED test by the same Mr. Manfred. There is that and the fact his Red Sox team is currently under investigation. But I am sure none of that mattered…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is bringing out the worst in people. At least those who were stupid enough to issue public threats can be pursued.

Participant

Free

Consider the other side as well, if Fiers says nothing then his current team mates become victims of something he knows is going on.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Papi was pardoned from his positive PED test by the same Mr. Manfred. There is that and the fact his Red Sox team is currently under investigation. But I am sure none of that mattered…

Haha! Listening to the adorable Big Papi’s recent interview is good stuff.

Participant

Free

Brian wrote: what makes you think Luhnow would have done anything other than to tell Fiers to be quiet?

My reply was erroneously put in shaded letters below – read it as original

Well then it was time to do what he did to open this case – talk to the sports writers. It is the lag time in his reporting that convinces me he had an ax to grind from some later action when he left the team. I don’t view him as some super hero. He says he is getting death threats. I don’t doubt it but that seems to be a common thing now on the internet. The goon trolls love to think they are scaring you but they will never get close enough to be identified. Another reason I loved it ‘back in the day’ before Al Gore invented the internet.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Participant

Free

Funny how Fiers is coward for telling the truth, but the guys who cheated (and lied to their friends about them tipping pitches) are not. Weird world we live in.

I assume he has returned the money and the ring to make things right in his world. To he straight here – I do not condone the cheating but I don’t condone the guy waiting two years to yap about it either. I still say there was some event that precipitated his going to the press.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep. Fiers is just a convenient rebuttal of deflection. If the only defense you have is a bad one, it’s the one you gotta go with.

Participant

Free

forsch31 wrote:

Consider the other side as well, if Fiers says nothing then his current team mates become victims of something he knows is going on.

But, supposedly when Beltran and Cora left the cheating stopped – at least there was no mention of 2019 being a cheating year. So Fiers team mates are not likely victims with him there. I still believe that almost all players at the minor and major league levels know that sign stealing is legal. Some may just assume that this system is just an advancement in the art of sign stealing and were not fully aware that the use of electronic devices was not legal.

I think I have just about had enough of this topic. It is something that will likely never be settled so I am just taking it off my notification list and pay more attention to Card specific things such as Goldy’s elbow and Mikolas’s flexor muscle. Waiting for the next spring training injury. Houston is in another league and we don’t play them this season. Play Ball.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3’s final sentence caused me to have a flashback. We’ve already had 22 pages of discussion on this subject and it doesn’t even affect the Cardinals directly. Can you imagine the furor had the Astros remained in the NL Central all this time?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This is a topic that definitely transcends the normal emotional allegiance to a specific team. If you’re a fan, you can’t avoid it — regardless of what media you read, listen to, or watch. However, I’d say Cards’ fans have more connection than many others.

Even so, I don’t want to take a sanctimonious stance because I think there are few untold stories, and who knows from where and when they might surface. I think I made a post to this effect somewhere in one of the early pages of this thread.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian you would have to close the forums down for a few weeks/months if that happened lol.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This forum would be sucked into the vortex of the Cardinals social media typhoon.

I will guess that it could have united Cardinals fans against a common enemy instead of having spent this off-season mostly squabbling with each other about what amounted to very little.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro, you are absolutely right. The integrity of the game should matter to everyone and any other team may not be clean. But I also get why Dodgers fans feel even more strongly about what has happened, for example.

Participant

Free

I will guess that it could have united Cardinals fans against a common enemy instead of having spent this off-season mostly squabbling with each other about what amounted to very little.

Brian, there is but one cure…………………….PLAY BALL

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 594 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years