Houston Astros Stealing Signs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Houston Astros Stealing Signs

Viewing 25 posts - 451 through 475 (of 594 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

Looks like my faith in Jose Altuve may be well founded at least in not getting much use out of the banging. 24 bangs for 800 pitches at a 2.8% rate isn’t much for an MVP player who has had good years since he came into baseball. He just swings at what he can hit and he seems to think that is every pitch – bang or not. But the chart does not show the hit rate per bang so it’s effectiveness is still to be shown.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The chart also doesn’t show how the buzzer system was implemented.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I could put this on a half-dozen different current threads right now. We will see if Manfred can dance like Fred Astaire or more like Frankenstein.

Participant

Free

Please take notes. I will be watching the Daytona 500 and baseball will not be the prime topic at hand at that moment. Maybe he wants to eliminate the Astros and Red Sox for 10 years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some players still not happy with Manfred over his comments on the Astros and the 2017 World Series.

Participant

Free

Manfred’s next directive needs to be to all pitchers. If you start a war of beaning Astro batters, your suspension will be very long and enough of them and your career will be over. Also, managers will be held liable for obvious beanings with ejections.

Participant

Free

Justin Turner’s act toward Manfred sort of reminds me of Ryan Braun hating on that delivery driver.

The Dodgers were named in MLB’s report as another team that they had evidence of sign stealing from. I can’t remember if that was the public report or not, though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Turner pretty much saying what a small portion of us have said for a couple years. He’s out of touch and a bone head.

At least the All-Star game will be fun to watch. lol the Astros will get one player but it’s going to be damn awkward knowing that almost everyone in each dugout dislikes you and your team. lol

Oh and btw does that mean Dusty and his staff are going?

Participant

Paid - Annual

From what I understand, yes Dusty will manage the AL team.

You are correct I imagine any Astros on the team won’t get a chummy reception from their AL teammates.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some believe Manfred couldn’t have gotten away with player discipline even had he wanted to.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

At one point Manfred said the players were given immunity in exchange for truthful testimony. Was that agreed to with the union? What if it turns out a player wasn’t truthful. Will they be disciplined?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good questions. Folks asked about that in the context of the buzzers if it is later proven the players lied. Manfred dodged it by saying that if the players were truthful about 2017 and 2018, why would they lie about 2019? That answer was not particularly satisfying – like a number of his points made Sunday.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Allegations that MLB sat on this for multiple years before Mike Fiers spoke up. Sort of reminds me of steroids…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As if we didn’t know it already, many players are still angry after the commissioner’s explanations…

Participant

Free

Allegations that MLB sat on this for multiple years before Mike Fiers spoke up. Sort of reminds me of steroids…

This has always been baseball’s MO. The Astros, without that Twitter guy’s trashcan-banging videos, would have gotten off with a slap on the wrist.

All the scandals they have successfully swept under the rug is pretty amazing.

Nothing sums up MLB’s desire to catch cheats better than how they banned illegal drugs in 1971, but didn’t bother to test anyone for 30 years. And people still believe that was a “drug policy.”

I still remember what MLB allowed Ryan Braun to do to that delivery guy. That was embarrassing, but MLB tacitly supported it because it “protected the game.” They have always been about that.

And the MLBPA pointing fingers here is the height of hypocricy.

Participant

Free

Ryan Braun should have been banned for life. Does the players contract contain a clause that such as says a team cannot void a contract when the player is proven to have violated the drug provisions or some other such act. Was his not a criminal act like Pittsburg’s Vasquez who is sitting in a jail now? The thing that irked me about Braun was that he lied, he badly affected another persons life and he still got paid a ton of money when he returned to the team. At least he won’t be a Hall of Famer (or will that also be overlooked to get him in along with others).

As for the Astros, what’s done is done. I support cutting off the head of the snake and letting it be. If you get into players you need to start sorting out who had full knowledge and used it a lot (the chart the other day was good but it did not disclose how many of those trash can bans resulted in hits). Gonzalez had lots of bangs and Altuve only a few yet wasn’t Altuve the MVP in 2017? What would be more stupid would be if they changed their name. A couple of California kids teams have dropped the Astros names but that really negates the people who came before them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A reminder that if one wants, you can bet on anything. I just received this from betonline.ag.

Houston Astros players total hit-by-pitch in 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 80.5

Houston Astros players to charge mound 2020 Regular Season
    Under 1½ Charges -300 (1/3)
    Over 1½ Charges +200 (2/1)

Most Hit by Pitch 2020 Regular Season
    Alex Bregman 1/1
    George Springer 2/1
    Jose Altuve 3/1
    Carlos Correa 7/2

Participant

Free

Does the players contract contain a clause that such as says a team cannot void a contract when the player is proven to have violated the drug provisions or some other such act.

I’m sure the CBA doesn’t allow that. They have designated punishments, and there is no punishment for character assassination.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

someone at the PD had a story today or yesterday about the remarks on throwing at Astros players

and i agree…basically this gives them ANOTHER advantage…this one straight from the commissioners office…they can also basically crowd the plate for the whole year with no consequences…they will be given the benefit of the doubt for pitches hitting them on purpose or not for the season

Commissioner is giving them another way to have an advantage…

Let the players manage the punishment if you arent going to do it Manfred…something has to be done to punish the players…everyone knows it including other players

they say the Players Union is the reason they couldnt punish the players but i hear a lot of players complaining and wanting something done….sure seems like it might NOT be a Players union issue….

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An intelligent writer like Peter Gammons does not draw a clear distinction between the in-game electronic-driven cheating of today with sign stealing from 70 or more years ago.

Oh yeah, his Red Sox are still being investigated. Never mind. I get it.

Participant

Free

Brian, I don’t understand the betting odds but that makes no matter. How many pitchers do you think will be suspended more than one game for intentional beaning? I say at least 3 and then the suspensions will turn more serious – like 5 games or even season ending.

Viewing 25 posts - 451 through 475 (of 594 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years