Houston Astros (and Red Sox) Stealing Signs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Houston Astros (and Red Sox) Stealing Signs

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of note is that the Astros had the same main hitting coach from 2015-2018 and he was not disciplined. So it would seem odd to single out his assistant for the last year (Albert).

Participant

Free

<Bye, folks, enjoy a dying forum.
    I’m done. LOL>

Thankfully it’s not dead yet but you may be just a bit too touchy for this place if a moderators request sets you off. Hope you find a good new place to post.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Any takers on the over/under of Astros players who get beaned this season?

Participant

Paid - Annual

MM…. I saw your last comment. Didn’t realize that the first part was a quote and scared the heck out of me. I thought we lost you too and the revolt was spreading. Phew.

Dude highlight the words that you want to quote and hit quote… it comes out as a quote and not your words. Less confusion.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

What a dumb answer. You have an entire PR department that you pay lots of money for and you’re saying these guys were unprepared for questions that everyone knew was coming? Are you serious? I guess you’d rather pay the PR department to attack reporters who report on events that happened and they witnessed.

And then this:

Participant

Paid - Annual

Of note is that the Astros had the same main hitting coach from 2015-2018 and he was not disciplined. So it would seem odd to single out his assistant for the last year (Albert).

I find it odd that the main hitting coach didn’t know anything either but maybe they were both just sitting on the bench chewing sunflower seeds being oblivious.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, there is a difference. The hitting coach apologized so he admitted he knew. Unless he is deaf, he had to hear the banging in 2017. Albert is maintaining he was unaware in 2018.

Participant

Free

The idea that the hitting coaches didn’t know anything is probably naive, but the idea that they weren’t involved in any way seems likely, to me. A lot of hitting coaches don’t generally get involved in the sign-stealing, pitch-tipping, and other aspects. They are focused on the hitter, and they work with you both on mechanics and pitch-recognition.

That said, there are others who are very involved in those sorts of things. It could be either, and I’ll trust the people who did the investigating.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hochman knows where he is going with this but didn’t mention any consequences for Albert. Honestly, what would have been the best thing to do for the players with integrity? That’s a toughie.

Did the banging benefit Albert’s credentials? More importantly is…. how does our FO see this situation?

This whole thing is becoming an onion.

Participant

Free

14nyquisT take a look at my post again and you see brackets at each end of the first sentence. That is how it comes out when I hit /B-Quote and Paste to show a quote. If it is inside the brackets it is a quote. But I am glad you brought that up because I have never figured out how people show quotes in shaded words. But since I receive all messages that I tag via email it does get confusing for those where the posters name appears and then a sentence or two shows what I take as him speaking only to find out they are quoting something and have added a paragraph below the part that was quoted.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, stepping back, what do you propose be done about/with/to Albert? A new investigation?

No one has suggested he is a central figure. The Cardinals already said they believe him. So what is the benefit? What is the use?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Honestly Brian I haven’t followed this mess as closely as others. I read Hochman’s piece but he didn’t draw any conclusions. That’s why I posted mostly questions to see if we had some more clarified answers since there are some here that are following it as it remains to unfold. There’s still a lot of questions to consider.

Hochman insinuates that Albert knew what was going on. But I think that the FO should judge Albert on his performance here. What else could they do?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

But I am glad you brought that up because I have never figured out how people show quotes in shaded words.

MM3, I have noticed the difference in your quotes too. Just to be clear, I will say in step-by-step detail what I did to get your text quoted above in this post to determine if it’s the same thing you’re doing.

1. I copied the text from your message that I wanted to quote.
    2. I pasted that text to the top of this message.
    3. I highlighted that text.
    4. I hit the B-QUOTE function (at that point, you can see the quote tags applied).
    5. I then typed this reply below the quoted text.

If there is a difference, give this a shot. Sometimes things might display differently anyway due to different browsers, operating systems, versions, etc.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will say in step-by-step detail what I did to get your text quoted above in this post to determine if it’s the same thing you’re doing

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think if Albert had admitted that he heard stuff was going on but he was not involved, people would accept that better. By asserting it was “news to me”, it causes some to wonder if he is hiding something, even if it is illogical that he was involved as a first-year assistant coach.

Bottom line, MLB implicated his bosses two and three levels up, and they were fired. But MLB said nothing about his direct leader, the long-time hitting coach, who was there all along. So I can’t see what some expect to get out of Albert. I guess they want an apology, but it seems unlikely he would back track to that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro, that is very helpful. If you get a chance, please copy and paste it into the “Questions about the New TCN” thread pinned to the top so others can benefit from the tip later, too. Thanks.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will say in step-by-step detail what I did to get your text quoted above in this post to determine if it’s the same thing you’re doing

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

im trying to follow his instructions

it worked!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

1. I copied the text from your message that I wanted to quote.
    2. I pasted that text to the top of this message.
    3. I highlighted that text.
    4. I hit the B-QUOTE function (at that point, you can see the quote tags applied).
    5. I then typed this reply below the quoted text.

Thanks. I think this is going to work too. So here goes.

Participant

Free

Okay, it worked. I hope others took notice too. At least my old system has brackets at each end of the quotes but this shaded word system is best. This old codger learned a new trick – again thanks.

Now I need to add a footnote: I receive all of my TCN replies via email and those shaded quotes do not show up in email. The words do but not the shading so that is what has been confusing me lately. If you are not reading a post from the TCN site you will only see the words but not the shading. So it appeared to me that nobody was quoting but I learned after a bit to recognize what was going on and to look at the bottom of the message to see the senders new remarks. Confusing huh. I promise – no tests.

Since I don’t receive emails of my own posts, I don’t know if the brackets appear in them or not.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years