Houston Astros (and Red Sox) Stealing Signs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Houston Astros (and Red Sox) Stealing Signs

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 637 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No doubt. If I am the Dodgers I am more than PO’d.

Maybe they’re one of the teams that the Astros claimed also did it. Good to see that MLB investigates when the prisoner talks.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Passan seems to think that anything short of cancelling the season for all MLB teams is the only answer. I don’t give a diddly squat what an ESPN hack says, I am satisfied with the punishment. The other shoe hasn’t fallen yet and that one will take Cora down with probably others.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently the Red Sox were initially turned in by the Yankees. Those rivals will get you every time.

Didn’t I read somewhere where the Yankees were accused of misusing a video replay machine also? If so, maybe it wasn’t found to be as malicious. I haven’t heard any more about it.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NYY (Cashman) turned in BOS for relaying signs to the dugout via apple watches. Cashman also submitted video evidence. So then Bos accused the NYY of using their Yes Network cameras to steal signs. Eventually both teams were fined a minimal amount and proceeds went to hurricane relief.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cora out too…

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mets are on the clock.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe guys like Dusty Baker and Buck Showalter will get jobs this year after all.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Some guy on ESPN mentioned he had a “long term” bet in Vegas on the Dodgers to win the series in 2017 and plans to get a group together to sue the Astros. At first I thought it was crazy talk, but he’s absolutely right…. how many normal people did that screw and how many benefited from the Astros cheating?

This is just a completely different side to consider, especially with betting becoming legal in several states. The GMs, owners, managers and players involved in this, I don’t feel bad for one bit. They won’t be eating Ramen for a year because of this. I’m not a big gambler but I know I’d be beyond furious and won’t be surprised when a few lawsuits pop up.

I did win $2.00 on the super bowl coin flip last year!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Even if you vacated the WS titles you could not award the title to the opposing team. Why? Because the Astros and Red Sox beat other AL teams to get to the WS and you would have to give those teams credit for possibly winning the series too. Anyway, it is practically impossible to say exactly how much effect the cheating had on any game or series. As someone said earlier you still have to hit the ball and hitting a low and away slider (an off speed pitch) has proven to be difficult even when you know it is coming.

My fervent wish for 2020
    “Starting at 3B…………………………………Nolan Arenado…cheer, cheer. (well I can dream)

Pork Twain
    Participant

Do what they do in college sports, vacate the wins and the titles, but the other teams do not get to count the wins either. 2017, no WS champion.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Same with 2018 since the Dodgers got screwed there too by the Cheating Sox.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just my opinion, but I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. No one really knows how many pitches were tipped, and surely not all pitches were tipped for each batter. That would have been too much pounding on trash cans, or too much to keep track of with a camera. No one knows how many games were effected by sigh stealing using the Astros system compared to the usual methods of sign stealing used by all teams. All in all, I think everybody would have been better off if the Astros were privately reprimanded to the extent that they stopped doing it. Then, let it go at that. It’s a shame that this has been turned into such a scandal. –

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well MLB conducted a lengthy investigation. If they thought the cheating was minimal they wouldn’t have levied the penalties that they did. I think Manfred is doing the right thing by channeling his inner Kennesaw Mountain Landis and lowering the boom on these snakes.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Just my opinion, but I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. No one really knows how many pitches were tipped, and surely not all pitches were tipped for each batter. That would have been too much pounding on trash cans, or too much to keep track of with a camera. No one knows how many games were effected by sigh stealing using the Astros system compared to the usual methods of sign stealing used by all teams. All in all, I think everybody would have been better off if the Astros were privately reprimanded to the extent that they stopped doing it. Then, let it go at that. It’s a shame that this has been turned into such a scandal.

All the same could be said for steroids (except there is far less proof of who did it and how much it helps), and yet we are keeping all time greats out of the Hall of Fame for that.

Oquendo11
    Participant

Free

The punishment needs to be harsh and PUBLIC as a deterrent to others.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Steroids make you feel and act superhuman. Stealing signs is a far cry from that. I agree that now that this sign stealing scandal is out in the open, it has to be dealt with pretty severely in order to preserve the integrity of the game. But I think everybody would have been better off if the problem of sign stealing could have been addressed and eliminated privately. I don’t understand why people want punishment, why they want blood, when somebody other than themselves screws up and does something bad.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think people are offended when certain players, coaches, or executives decide to show such selfishness, disrespect, and disregard to the game that we have grown up with and loved for years. A strong public deterrent has to be put into place to try to fend off future attempts. If they can’t do the time then they shouldn’t do the crime.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It is going to be interesting in so many ways to see how MLB will deal with BOS.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

A strong public deterrent has to be put into place to try to fend off future attempts. If they can’t do the time then they shouldn’t do the crime.

Baseball is a game of rules — just like other sports and businesses. This Astros’ cheating was in-house, but it impacted the entire MLB enterprise. It possibly impacted the following: the outcomes of games, final playoff standings, opposing players’ stats, which then could’ve led to opposing pitchers having lower contract and trade values, getting bounced out of the league, opposing managers being fired, etc. It’s out in the open because the Astros put it out in the open for us all to hear and see. And then they had the gall and arrogance to deny it like the rest of the world is stupid. Sorry, no thanks. To sort of halfway sweep it under the rug would be a negligence of leadership by the commissioner.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Steroids make you feel and act superhuman.

No, they don’t. You watch too much TV.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

gscottar I agree with you but need to add that the punishment was so severe because MLB had just issued written warnings following the Red Sox/Yankee brouhaha. Evidently Luhnow didn’t see fit to pass it on to the troops. Trying to suspend players would have been a real disaster because MLB has condoned players stealing signs from 2b runners so you would have to distinguish whether they were baserunner steals or trash can steals. As they say in NASCAR “If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying.”

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I donn’t think Chris Correa should have been punished so harshly for what he did either. Society would have been better served to use the jail space on somebody who is truly criminal, not somebody who got swept up by emotions. He could have worn a GPS and stayed home.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

tripleshy – Get your hands on some steroids and try it for yourself. You’ll see.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 637 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.