Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,651 through 1,675 (of 2,376 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adolis Garcia Part 2? His current OPS is .681. Not everyone can sustain.

Garcia has 7 HR and 29 RBI, both of which would be third behind only Arenado and Goldschmidt on our roster. Also, his BABip is .267, which should go up as the year goes along. Compared to last year his K rate is down and his LD rate is up.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo won’t take on that contract. Too big a gamble.

If you are referring to Keuchel, he will only be owed the league minimum once he clears waivers. The White Sox will owe the rest.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I need to clarify that I was also surprised at the time that the Cards did not keep Plummer. Based on his stats and what I saw, I thought he had earned it in 2021 after six years of underachieving. But I also accept that his employer over the last seven years had much more information that I did.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Gscottar,

Yes, once he clears waivers.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

It sure would be easier to follow the farm if they would give the fans a little info regarding important moves during pregame shows. They could even weave their marketing schemes into it as long as facts are there. I mean, what are they afraid of?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is that they don’t think most viewers care much about the minors.

(Also, for subscribers to The Cardinal Nation, we break down every transaction all year long. Here’s yesterday’s edition.)

Cardinals Major and Minor League Moves for the New Week

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I was more upset the Cardinals drafted Plummer in the first place. They screwed up that selection from jump. The player they should have drafted was taken one pick later and is exactly the player the Cardinals need now, Walker Anthony Buehler. The Cardinals draft philosophy was so out of whack. Trust me this isn’t revisionist theory talking. I and others said it on these boards the night of that 2015 draft. Regardless of his current exploits I just didn’t like Plummers approach at the plate and it isn’t shocking it took him this long to get his cup of coffee. For the record, I coached the #15 player in that draft who is currently manning CF for the Padres.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet, TexasCard! Out of Richland high…..Trent Grisham.
    Yeah we weren’t the only team to whiff on not tabbing Walker Buehler……boy how good he’d look in Cardinal red right now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TexasCard, I agree with you. The selection of Plummer seemed a stretch at the time. On the other hand, every team has misses in every draft.

Also, many said the same things about the Cards overdrafting a few years later when another prep outfielder was taken in the first – Dylan Carlson. High schoolers are especially risky. It is doubling down when he is from a cold-weather state like Michigan.

Looking at the big picture, however, it would be hard to be critical of the Cardinals’ 2015 draft class overall. Jake Woodford, Harrison Bader, Jordan Hicks, Paul DeJong and Ryan Helsley made for a huge haul. But, yes, they missed on Plummer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t know. I wanted keuchel before but now. I’ll have to check out his numbers.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I saw Shelby Miller has been released from his contract with the Yankees minor league team. Numbers didn’t look too bad, maybe try to sign him to a minor league deal for possible help in the pen. Not sure he would sign with the Cards, but worth a look. Any thoughts?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d hate to think Mo needs to start scraping up washouts and washed ups even earlier than last year.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lane Thomas is getting a solid look with the Nats. He has started 33 of their 52 games and batted in 43 games total accumulating 137 PA’s.
    His D has been a plus but he currently is a 68 ops+ with a 10/39 BB/K.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt Carpenter is swinging the bat like Lou Gehrig for the Yankees. He hit his 4th HR for them tonight after only being there a couple of weeks. Unbelievable.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lane Thomas has 3 HR’s in tonight’s game. With his limited PA’s, his ops+ could jump 20 points or more.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Lane Thomas OPS jumped 70-80 points tonight.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So Lane went from a 68 ops+, to a 94 in one 3 for 5 game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am surprised Wisdom has a 122 OPS+

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

‘Matt Carpenter is swinging the bat like Lou Gehrig for the Yankees. He hit his 4th HR for them tonight after only being there a couple of weeks. Unbelievable.’

I wonder if he’s eating the same salsa that he was eating when he was hot while playing in St. Louis. It’s almost magical the way Luke Voit, and now Matt Caroenter, go to New York and become stars. The Yankees somehow know how to bring about the best in certain athletes.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

That’s why I was wondering what the Yankees were teaching him that he refused to follow in St. Louis. Bernie talked about it on the radio but I missed most of it.

1982 willie
    Participant

Wacha pitching well tonight vs angels. Boston may be pushing him past his limits now, he’s up to 85 pitches in a 1-0 game. Pretty good even if angels are struggling.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Nice shutout for Wacha. Good for him.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can explain most of Carps success. Yankee Stadium. 3 of 4 homers there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1,651 through 1,675 (of 2,376 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.