Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

This topic contains 673 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great news about Lou! I was just in Chicago for the National Sports Collectors Convention, and Lou was supposed to be there signing autographs, although I was not there at the same time.

Twins did a nice job flipping Garcia. If Jaime is healthy through the end of the year, he could be a huge benefit to the Bombers. With Price seeming like the “new” Garcia as far as injuries, maybe the Yankees have gained an edge on their rivals.

Speaking of Price, it’s looking good right now that we lost out on that sweepstakes.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Uh, oh. Looking like that Freeman at third base thing has been scrapped. Braves come to StL in about 10 days.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Speaking of the Braves and “another” Freeman, I was in Atlanta last night and saw the Braves beat the Dodgers. I wanted to check out SunTrust Park. I also was hoping to see Matt Adams play, which didn’t happen, but I did get to watch Sam Freeman pitch a scoreless inning of relief.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I also saw that Motte is about ready to come off the DL for the Braves.

As an aside, they blew up their team, collected prospects to be ranked #3 farm system and currently have just two more losses than StL (57 to 55). They come into Busch next homestand.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marco Gonzales starting for the Mariners today against the Royals. Game time is 1:15.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Marco was rocked around some – 7 hits and 5 earned runs in four innings. Struck out 5 and walked only 1, but it looks like he was hit rather hard as two of the hits were doubles, both by Cain, and he gave up a homer.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fernando Salas has been DFAed by the Mets.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another former Cards reliever bites the dust, as the Tigers designated Edward Mujica For assignment.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Brewers outrighted Michael Blazek to Triple-A. I think it is the second time.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Royals claimed Sam Gaviglio off waivers from Seattle.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Neil Allen fired as Twins pitching coach. Joe McEwing rumored to be among candidates for the open Phillies manager job.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I missed this one initially. The NY Daily News is endorsing Joe McEwing to become the new Mets manager.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/joe-mcewing-manager-mets-article-1.3544160

blingboy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of McEwing, who remembers the Little Mac Land signs in the left field bleachers?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like TLRs contract with Arizona is up. Not a surprise. Back to free agency he goes.

https://twitter.com/ryanfagan/status/920720722514927617

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Skip Schumaker named Padres 3B coach. Probably recommended by McGwire (Pads hitting coach). They have been long time workout buddies.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wonder if Skip will coach guys to dive head first in to first base. 😉 He insisted he got to the bag faster that way despite studies that showed otherwise.

Seriously, good for Skip. He was definitely a no-nonsense player. Very focused. Hopefully, he will help the young Padres get better.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Arizona has exercised its option to bring back Daniel Descalso for 2018.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Descalso has put together a pretty good career as a utility guy.

Good to see Schumaker get a shot at a coaching job. As Brian mentioned, I never liked his penchant for diving in to first base. Plus he drove me nuts with the resetting of his batting gloves between every pitch. There were times I would yell at the television “Just stay in box!”. But that was his routine, probably to think about what the next pitch might be and where he would go with it depending on location.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I once tried to joke with Skip in the clubhouse when he was picking some new batting gloves from a group on a table, asking him if he wore out the velcro on his old ones. He did not even smile. Oops.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I once tried to joke with Skip in the clubhouse when he was picking some new batting gloves from a group on a table, asking him if he wore out the velcro on his old ones. He did not even smile. Oops.

Sounds like Skipper was a little sensitive on that subject. No doubt he had been teased about that habit many times.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cal Eldred has been named new pitching coach of the Kansas City Royals.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Good for Cal! Hope he does well.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinalsâ„¢ and their minor league system for 20 years