Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,326 through 1,350 (of 2,317 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ooops…

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read that too. In his defence, the rule normally only affects National League teams and is new but still…come on! But where was his bench coach to say Hey skipper, why you sending out Hendrik instead of Abreau?

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Personally I think he just came back because they are wearing those fantastic uniforms again this year. I own a home and an away jersey, each with a 75yr anniversary of Comisky Park patch on sleeve.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Grichuk has 26 RBI so far this season, second best total in the AL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Toronto has a pretty good team overall…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Former Post-Dispatch columnist Vahe Gregorian wrote a very positive piece about Mike Matheny.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Daniel Descalso signed a ninor league deal with the Twins.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Randy Arozarena has come back down to earth this year. He currently has a slash line of .264/.356/.393/.749 with 4HR’s and 16 RBI’s. While that isn’t horrible it is certainly more pedestrian than his MVP type numbers he put up last post season.

Meanwhile the guy to keep an eye on is Adolis Garcia. He currently has a slash line of .297/.339/.585/.923 with 10HR’s and 27 RBI’s. I still can’t believe we gave him up for basically nothing (cash considerations). That was a BAD move and I questioned it at the time.

PadsFS
    Participant

We certainly can say this is the best former Cardinals group playing for other teams in at least the last twenty years, but maybe ever.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Letting Garcia go was a strange one. His strikeout numbers must have scared off management, despite his potential power.

This is the best group of young ex-Cardinals that I recall since the ‘70s. I think the ‘70s still has this group beat, but if some of these guys attain all-star and perhaps one gets to the Hall, this group will challenge those guys.

Still those ‘70s players are quite the collection – Carlton, Reuss, Torrez, Tolan, Cruz, McBride, and later Reggie Smith.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno about that suggestion of maybe best ever. The Cards dealt away a lot of Hall of Famers over the years.

1920’s: I don’t include Hornsby since they got Frisch.

Early 30’s: Bill Sherdel, Taylor Douthit, Burliegh Grimes, Chick Hafey, Gus Mancuso, Jim Bottomley, Bob O’Farrell

Early 40’s: Ducky Medwick, Mickey Owen, Johnny Mize, Mort Cooper, Walker Cooper

Early 50’s: Howie Pollet, Max Lanier, Enos Slaughter

Late 50’s: Harvey Haddix, Bill Virdon, Red Schoendienst, Wally Moon

Mid 60’s: Ken Boyer, Bill White, Dick Groat

Early 70’s: Dick Allen, Nelson Briles, Mike Torrez, Steve Carlton, Julian Javier, Jerry Reuss…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jose Godoy finally made it, but had to change organizations to do it.

bccran
    Participant

In 2019, Adolis Garcia had 32 home runs, 22 doubles, 6 triples, and 96 RBI in 132 games for Memphis. This season he has 12 home runs, 35 RBI, and a .913 OPS in only 36 games for the Texas Rangers.

Also in 2019, Randy Arozarena slashed .358/.435/.593/1.028 for Memphis. This season so far he has a .825 OPS for the Rays. Was hitting #3 in the lineup. Now leading off.

We got rid of these guys to make sure the others like Thomas and Williams got a clean shot at the Cardinals outfield.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Randy trade may still work out for us because we may end up with a frontline starter out of it. The Garcia trade could really sting because we gave him up for some loose change to use in the vending machine.

bccran
    Participant

Never understand why the Cards let a player go for nothing when they’ve put up outstanding numbers at Memphis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not only is Adolis Garcia in the lead for AL rookie of the year he may be in the mix for AL MVP if he keeps this up. Quite a story. Two more homers tonight.

bccran
    Participant

If he is only costing a AAA salary, why let a guy like Garcia go?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adolis. The name sounds so bold and regal. On name alone, you keep the guy unless you get an offer that knocks your socks off. Too bad Adolis didn’t put his talents on full display until just after leaving St. Louis. There has to be a reason why players like Adolis, Aroz and Voit absolutely start kicking butt almost immediately after leaving the Cardinals. It just isn’t happenstance. It is imperative that the St. Louis Cardinals pinpoint why this is occuring.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am completely convinced that it is a computer driven decision making process.

It seems geared toward producing complimentary piece guys. Best available athlete types that light up the algo. Maybe they max out 3 tools but you need the other two. No matter, they score out better than the guy you need. I like Goldy and NA, but hate that we had to go outside to get the meat. I hate that Carp has taken over Fowlers role clogging up the MLB roster for no gain. I hate that we have no bench bat and guys we offed are tearing it up elsewhere, after lighting up opposing pitching in Memphis. I am not sure what to think of the fact that 40% of our rotation comes from the Korean or Japanese leagues, and neither fits the 100 mph arm one trick pony type that the org is obsessed with. Mo’s algo is obsessed with I should have said.

bccran
    Participant

Had to let Arozarena and Garcia go to make sure Faberge Eggs
    Williams, Thomas, and O’Neill had a clear shot to develop to their full potential as major leaguers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adolis Garcia struck out a lot in Memphis then made the big base running blunder late in the season against the Brewers a couple of years ago. Obviously the front office or coaching staff soured on him. They were wrong. What gets me isn’t that we traded him it is that we traded him for basically nothing. At least with the Arozarena trade we got good value in return.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only thing strange about letting Garcia go was that he had 2 options left when he was outrighted, which led to his trade. In addition, he was outrighted this February by the Rangers, yet no one picked him up.
    I guess every organization has its’ favorites, and sometimes they assess wrongly. Sosa is an example of someone not getting any chances until an injury occurs, while Carpenter and Williams played every day, despite playing poorly.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some would say DFA’ing a guy capable of hitting 32 homers at AAA was strange. There obviously was some talent in that player.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The most striking thing about the Garcia situation is that he is a starting center fielder. We didn’t seem to think he could even be a left fielder. Batting 4th or 5th every day for somebody else. The sabr spew on Mo’s printout said DFA I guess. No cigar chompers left to toss the computer out the window for him.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,326 through 1,350 (of 2,317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.