Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 2,317 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Trevor Rosenthal cleared waivers and is a free agent again.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Greg Holland returned to the Nats to try to start over again.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rafael Ortega has been called up by the Braves.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tyler Lyons, who was at Triple-A, was released by the Pirates.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mentioning Lyons and the Pirates made me think of Siegrist not making the Pirates active roster last year, then refusing to report to AAA. Does anybody know if he ever did anything after that?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Siegrist signed anywhere for 2019, I missed it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Trevor Rosenthal also signed with the Yankees on a minor league deal.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote:
    <Trevor Rosenthal also signed with the Yankees on a minor league deal.>

When Mo does something like this he is accused of ‘dumpster diving.’ The Yankees do it with regularity and they call it ‘filtering.’ Sometimes they come up with a gem. But I don’t think Trevor is that kind of find.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

It appears that Oscar Mercado is turning into a real factor for the Indians. Who did the Cards get for him in trade or was he a Rule 5 claim?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears that Oscar Mercado is turning into a real factor for the Indians. Who did the Cards get for him in trade or was he a Rule 5 claim?

Conner Capel, a LH OF who’s currently 22 and had a below average .222/.279/.365 line at Springfield with a solid cup of tea at Memphis this year.

And

Jhon Torres, a RH OF who tore up the GCL last year and is currently a 19 year old at Johnson City and has a .259/.358/.519 line. He’s thought of as the better get for the Cards and is a top 10 team prospect on many ranking sites. He didn’t fare so well in his first taste of full season baseball earlier this year though.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When Mo does something like this he is accused of ‘dumpster diving.’ The Yankees do it with regularity and they call it ‘filtering.’ Sometimes they come up with a gem. But I don’t think Trevor is that kind of find.

The Yankees have one of the deepest bullpens in baseball. They don’t need Rosenthal to be successful. It is just a depth move for them and if he happens to turn it around then it is just a bonus. And the Nats are paying for it.

Mo, on the other hand, sometimes signs washed up relievers for bigger money and counts on them to be a significant contributor only to see them bomb. (Broxton, Holland, Gregerson). Cecil doesn’t really apply here because he was fairly well thought of when we signed him. It just didn’t work out.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dotel was also a Cardinal for the latter part of the 2011 season.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Some guys are just workaholics and can’t stop working hard after their playing days are done. 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Holland was washed up when signed? He was a National League All-Star and led the entire league in saves the year before he joined the Cardinals.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Holland was washed up when signed? He was a National League All-Star and led the entire league in saves the year before he joined the Cardinals.

Well he washed up by May 1. Close enough.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The best thing about Dotel as a pitcher was his dominance over Ryan Braun. He owned him. I want to say something to the tune of 1 for 18 with 15 strikeouts.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He was also terrible after the All-Star Game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My point is simple. Holland was not washed up when signed by the Cardinals.

I wish we didn’t have to go through this again, but memories are clearly shaky. Holland tried to pitch through a finger injury before going on the DL in August 2017.

Holland ERAs by month, 2017:

April 1.50
    May 1.17
    June 1.69
    July 2.25
    August 13.50
    Sept 1.86

Which one is not like the others?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s just say he was washed up but we didn’t know it until it was too late. I think that is a fair statement. You can throw him out of the equation if you want. I was just disputing the notion that Cashman was getting a pass that Mo wouldn’t have gotten. Rosenthal is nothing more than a lottery ticket for Cashman.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, who do you think will be added to 40-man? I am on record predicting Jake Woodford.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 2,317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.