Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

This topic contains 712 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by Avatar CariocaCardinal 17 hours, 4 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 713 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS STATEMENT ON “WHITEY” HERZOG

“The St. Louis Cardinals were informed today that Hall of Fame Manager Dorrel “Whitey” Herzog sustained a minor stroke yesterday (Monday, Sept. 16) during his charity golf tournament. Whitey and his family wanted to let everyone know that he has received treatment and is currently resting, and doing well.
    Whitey is hoping for a quick recovery, and he and his family are very appreciative of the caring support that everyone has shown them.”

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Saw that on the Reds broadcast at Wrigley. Hope THE Rat is doing okay.

What is he now, 89?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Trade Rumors is saying that Tyler Lyons is in a group of pitchers the Yankees are considering to add to their depleted pitching corps. German suspended and Betances injured. Hard not to admire the Yanks what with all the injuries they have had this season. Even Luke Voit was down with a sports hernia for a while but is back now.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Former Cardinal Clint Hurdle (1986) has been fired as manager by the woeful Pirates.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The 2019 Mariners were 10th in the AL in team ERA at 4.99.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m assuming this was said during the arbitration hearing. I have a feeling Mo would ridicule his own wife and kids in an arbitration hearing if he thought it would save a few dollars.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody have an update on Whitey Herzog? Is he out of the hospital yet?

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Cardinals made many good decisions regarding Tommy Pham. He had five-tool talent, but tended to be hurt a lot coming through the system so that set him back. But they seemed to always look at what he could not do, rather than what he could do.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, Pham does have an eye defect, one which causes vision degeneration. Also, one that hindered his ability to play at 100 percent multiple times in the past. Good that we aren’t hearing anything about it lately.

I have never seen a player who is more driven by using slights (real or imagined) to fuel his performance. Interesting comment, but hardly surprising.

To again set the record straight, Pham never went to arbitration with the Cardinals. He was not eligible. The Cards offered Pham two years, but he turned it down. He ended up with a renewed contract with StL for 2018 and this season, took the Rays to an arbitration hearing and won.

The Cards reportedly offered him $4 MM for two years. The Rays offer would have paid him $4.07 MM over the same period, had they won the hearing. I wonder what they said about him? Wow, they really respect him more – $70 K more to be precise.

So what is the buzz, again? Too bad some just can’t be happy for Pham without cheap shots. He needed to go elsewhere and he is doing well there. As he said, he is maturing as a hitter, becoming more selective. Good for him!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, Whitey is doing well enough to have made a personal appearance at a public event this past week.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He needed to go elsewhere

Well that’s certainly an opinion.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It was the opinion of those making the decisions.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

It was the opinion of those making the decisions.

A decision they have since said they wouldn’t make again if they had a do over.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please share the source of that quote. I haven’t seen it and I question its existence.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Tommy Pham. Noticed last night that Tommy has a tat on his left arm that reads “Believe in Yourself”. That is an admirable belief; however, in Tommy’s case all it means is Tommy believes in Team Tommy and none other. I saw him during his time in Springfield and they practically needed an ambulance on call for all of the injuries he had. Tommy always had a chip on his shoulder and was quick to publicize his grievances. To me, he is not a team player. At least he was not when with the Cardinals. He shot off his mouth far too much. I am happy to see he has found a new team because I just never thought the Cardinals were the team for him.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was impressed by Pham’s determination and resilience. But I’m glad he’s gone. The Cardinals drafted him in 2006 when he was 18 years old. They nursed him through a constant stream of broken bones, debilitating soft tissue injuries, and his vision problem. Right after he finally got to a point where he could give something back, he started criticizing the organization for being underpaid, unappreciated, and generally mistreated. He’s a jerk. I don’t wish him well.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I missed this announcement last week. The day after the Angels fired manager Brad Ausmus, they also let pitching coach Doug White go – after just one year. Prior to working for the Astros, White was a minor league pitching coach in the Cardinals system.

The Angels haven’t had good pitching in years and their best, Tyler Skaggs, passed away suddenly during the season. So it isn’t like White had a lot to work with. But with Maddon likely coming in, they want him to have his own guy, I imagine.

That means three of the four MLB pitching coaches from the Cards were fired recently. Lilliquist in DC, Paul Davis in Seattle and now, White. Brent Strom is an institution in Houston.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

David Freese officially retires.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Former Cardinal first round pick Brian Barber named Phillies scouting director

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-scouting-director-brian-barber-yankees-aaron-judge-20191022.html

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As teams start to clean up 40-man rosters, borderline guys start moving around.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Saw that Matheny is the new Royals manager, sorry if I’m not the first one to report this…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Even before the parade, the Nats declined their 2020 option on Matt Adams, making the 1B a free agent.

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years