Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

This topic contains 673 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I thought Jody Davis had a familiar ring….he was in the Cards minor league system for a year before the Cubs took him in the Rule 5 draft in Dec of 1980.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Grichuk pulling in a nice chunk of change.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I had forgotten about Davis’ one year in the Cardinals farm system.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Brian

Jody Played in the Cards organization at AAA Springfield with Durham in 1980. Schofield and Fassero are from Springfield IL. lol

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minor correction. The other team Davis played with in 1980 was high-A St. Pete, not Durham. Durham hasn’t been a Cards affiliate, at least in my memory.

Since, I had the window still open, here it is…

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=davis-001jod

Nice haul for Grichuk.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Now I’m not sure if they played with each other at the same time but Leon and Jody played in AAA Springfield in 1980.

Durham has never been a cards affiliate but Portland Oregon has and man what I wouldn’t give for a Portland Beavers jersey or T-shirt. Saw one and it had Cards colors on it for $40 on-line.

Harper is getting more boos than cheers tonight in DC. I figured it would be mixed. I would hope people will be a little more respectful when Pujols returns.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another former Cardinal with the Jays did not fare as well as Grichuk today.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Grichuk’s deal is craziness!! Glad it was the Blue Jays and not us!!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding Pujols and Harper returning home, the comparison is apples and oranges. Had Albert showed up at Busch a month after he left the Cards, he would have been booed, too. Not to mention that Harper joined a division rival. It would be like if Albert had signed with the Brewers or Cubs.

7 1/2 years later, the Pujols story has evolved over time. Now most Cards fans are relieved he left but are appreciative for what he did while there. I highly doubt there will be a single boo in the house – unless his wife shows up, maybe! 😉

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

im glad for grichuk. yea he never really became the great hitter for us that i hoped he would but a lot of our current guys aren’t really knocking the cover off the ball either.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Norris was so good for the Cards for a lot of the season, but the work load really got to him. He could be a nice in-season pickup for someone if they don’t need him as a closer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

$52M for Grichuk??? What are they smoking up there in Canada, eh?

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Grichuck would be a huge boost if he was still with us, not to mention Piscotty. Right now we have perhaps the worst outfield in baseball. Our FO continues to claim that “we’re all in” for ’19. Who is drinking their kool-aid? The OF we have now offers not one shred of optimism when the highest standard that can seen now is pure mediocrity. The GOAL is MEDIOCRITY. That is sheer BS.

If you want craziness… look what we are paying our lousy outfielders. Try that for starters!!!!

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Grichuk got hurt early last year but when he came back from June 3 through the end of the season he had 380 PA, 30 2B, 23 HR, .275/.324/.561. Even playing poorly and missing a lot of the first 2 months of the year he posted a 2.1 WAR
    Toronto is banking on hes that player.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

TOR’s GM is more fixed on improvement. Ours a little less so as our OF now looks like AAA.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Grichuk’s deal is craziness!! Glad it was the Blue Jays and not us!!

This sounds like someone is happy with who we run out to our OF. Incredible.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Last I checked, they are five games into a 162-game schedule. The outfield sky is not falling.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Dark, dank, dreary and getting more murky everyday. Sunglasses during a hurricane?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote: “Last I checked, they are five games into a 162-game schedule. The outfield sky is not falling.”

chuckling – how true that is. We haven’t even played a home game yet. How is it that two years in a row we act as the fall guy for other teams opening days for a couple of series before we ever even see a home crowd. I know, I know – computer scheduling. I think the Chinese have hacked the MLB computer – Brewers 10 games in a month – really?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not saying that our OF is great but that is still no reason to give Grichuk $52M. That is insanity. If we had kept Grichuk and gave him that kind of money I would have wanted Mo’s head examined. O’Neill and JMart can put up better numbers than Randall at a fraction of the cost.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe O’ Neill will be better than Grichuk. Grichuk is a fourth outfielder type. Besides, if he was still here he would on the bench behind Fowler and Ozuna. And maybe taking time from Bader. To me the number one outfield issue is Fowler. How long can you go with him? Ozuna, I believe will hit better in the walk year of his contract.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

52MM does seem excessive for Randal, but I think it’s great for him! I wish someone would pay me that kind of coin for being mediocre.

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years