Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 733 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ouch!

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am so glad Leake is gone. Just never fit with the Cards porous defense last year. The defense seems better now, or more tolerable when Martinez continues to rake. Although I wish Matheny would take out Carpenter late in games if he is covering third.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Miguel Socolovich got a brief cup of coffee with the Braves then DFA’d.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Valera e Lucas also both up and down in just a couple of days.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Matt Holliday still wants to play. Given he is just one day older than Albert, I find the contrast in their career fortunes interesting to ponder.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/media-views-matt-holliday-dabbles-in-broadcasting-but-hasn-t/article_654deb0c-93b5-5de6-80e2-cb08d8c49dcf.html

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Matt looks at peace with the world in that photo. He is likely a couple of years younger than Albert, although that is a different topic.

The Cardinals did the right thing when they signed Matt to the contract after 2009. I recall some people were actually hoping we would sign Jason Bay at that time, rather than Holliday. That would have been a huge blunder. Bay screwed up his career by not signing a good offer from Boston, where he was in a park tailored to his style.

But more than that, I had seen a lot of Holliday with the Rockies, and knew he was a much better player than Bay. Plus he is a class act as a person (not that Bay isn’t, but I did not know much about him).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bad season gets worse.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like Breyvic Valera is coming up to LA since Corey Seager is out for the season.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Other than the fact that Grichuk had a good day yesterday, the injury is probably good overall for him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Oh man, this brings up memories of that deal that I was adamantly against – Haren, Calero and Barton for Mark Mulder. Hated that deal when it was made, but in retrospect I thought Barton would end up being a much better player than he was. At least the fact that he did not have much of a career kept the deal from being overwhelmingly bad.

But it looks like Haren is still paying dividends, but not for the Cardinals so the deal still is haunting the Redbirds.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

So sad. So young.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

She was younger than me. My most heartfelt prayers go out to her family and loved ones.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I bet Mrs. Piscotty was a grand lady. When they go younger than they should, they seem to be predominantly real fine individuals. What happens after we die? I have a real good hunch that it’s something completely unexpected….hopefully in a good way.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One of the first elbow ligament repairs and lotta miles on that right arm since Maness was a starter in the minors. Not a good sign that the Royals, who know him best at this point, will not give him a chance to start at Triple-A. It is not as if their MLB rotation is among the best in the game. In their defense, Maness has not been successful for them to date. But certainly wishing him well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kyle Lohse ended his comeback with the Royals and announced his retirement.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Jay has carved out a nice little career. When coming through the Cardinals system, who would have thought he would make more impact with the Cardinals than Colby Rasmus.

You just never know how things will play out. The Angels drafted Randal Grichuk before Mike Trout. Back in the ’60s the Reds drafted Berni Carbo ahead of Johnny Bench.

And on the theme of former Cardinals, both Grichuk and Carbo spent some time with the Cardinals, and had some good moments with the club including some regular playing time. But Bench and Trout are two of the best ever.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jon looks happy here. He could be playing OF for us… he has been playing all three spots for the Royals. Oh well, just a thought.

Participant

Free

I just got weirded out a little as someone in my fantasy league added Daniel Descalso. He has an .854 OPS. Unbelievable to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pads, I think your friend is about three weeks late to act. Descalso’s playing time is going to dry up now that Jake Lamb is off the DL. He had a nice run, though and has put together a much better career than I expected.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 733 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years