Affiliate Observations 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2020

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As a refresher this is the up-to-date TCN 1-50 rankings.

Rk New top 50
    1 Dylan Carlson
    2 Nolan Gorman
    3 Matthew Liberatore
    4 Elehuris Montero
    5 Andrew Knizner
    6 Ivan Herrera
    7 Jordan Walker
    8 Zack Thompson
    9 Jake Woodford
    10 Angel Rondon
    11 Junior Fernandez
    12 Masyn Winn
    13 Genesis Cabrera
    14 Jhon Torres
    15 Malcom Nuñez
    16 Johan Oviedo
    17 Justin Williams
    18 Trejyn Fletcher
    19 Tink Hence
    20 Edmundo Sosa
    21 Luken Baker
    22 Kodi Whitley
    23 Julio Rodriguez
    24 Alvaro Seijas
    25 Griffin Roberts
    26 Tony Locey
    27 Mateo Gil
    28 Andre Pallante
    29 Jack Ralston
    30 Alex FaGalde
    31 Ian Bedell
    32 Alec Burleson
    33 Justin Toerner
    34 Seth Elledge
    35 Levi Prater
    36 Evan Mendoza
    37 Delvin Perez
    38 Rangel Ravelo
    39 Steven Gingery
    40 Edgar Escobar
    41 Conner Capel
    42 Tommy Parsons
    43 Brendan Donovan
    44 Juan Yepez
    45 Evan Kruczynski
    46 John Nogowski
    47 Pedro Pages
    48 Francisco Justo
    49 Max Schrock
    50 Kramer Robertson

Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB included Kim, Thomas, Edwin Nunez, Burleson, and Elledge in their Top 30. (IMO, Burleson should not be ranked ahead of Roberts.)
    MLB did not rank Helsley.
    The Community did not rank Thomas.
    Baker, Seijas, Pallante, Ralston, and Roberts did not make the MLB Top 30.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Community did not rank Thomas.

I believe that was due to an early snafu with the voting criterion of who was eligible vs not.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is some confusion here about who ranked Thomas and who did not.

BA has included Thomas all along, but MLB has NOT included Thomas, even back to this past off-season. Others who joined us in taking Thomas off their lists last winter include Keith Law/The Athletic, Prospects Live, Baseball Prospectus and BaseballHQ.

The only other major prospect rater who kept Thomas on for this year on that I am aware of is Fangraphs.

So while it may have been a little bumpy getting there, what the community decided here was consistent with the majority. No apologies are warranted.

Participant

Paid - Annual

For those misssimg some info on prospects that are part of the 60:

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/7/29/21344836/rediscovering-patrick-romeri

Its a good read and points out that Romeri may be the guy to rise to the top of his potential.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While I knew Joey Zanaboni casually in his dual role of broadcaster and media relations for JC, I did not know him like this. I hope his next job is a good one, but it is going to be tough next season for many to find chairs to sit in.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/better-know-a-broadcaster-joey-zanaboni/

Participant

Paid - Three Months

So I’m tracking MLB.com, TCN, FanGraphs and Baseball America have updated post-draft rankings. I plugged those into the spread sheet and below is what I come up with for average order. As a reminder I prefer to use the simple average divided by the number of lists they made. It gives some weight to being on more lists. Because their are only four updated lists there isn’t a lot of difference. The exceptions are Edwin Nunez (Int’l signing with 100+ FB), Ricardo Sanchez, and Patrick Romeri (+16 spots +9 spots and -10 spots). So bottom line these are ranked by average “expert” ranking (I used MLB.com prospect rules so Knizner, Thomas, etc… aren’t on the list). I have 123 names and a ton of data, including my own formula (based on my scoring of ceiling, probability, performance, age for league, level, and injury risk) so if you have questions about a particular prospect not on the list its possible I have him on my spreadsheet somewhere.

1 Dylan Carlson
    2 Nolan Gorman
    3 Matthew Liberatore
    4 Ivan Herrera
    5 Zack Thompson
    6 Jordan Walker
    7 Genesis Cabrera
    8 Elehuris Montero
    9 Masyn Winn
    10 Jhon Torres
    11 Junior Fernandez
    12 Johan Oviedo
    13 Angel Rondon
    14 Jake Woodford
    15 Trejyn Fletcher
    16 Julio Rodriguez
    17 Kodi Whitley
    18 Malcom Nunez
    19 Tink Hence
    20 Edmundo Sosa
    21 Edwin Nunez
    22 Justin Williams
    23 Tony Locey
    24 Mateo Gil
    25 Luken Baker
    26 Ian Bedell
    27 Roel Ramirez
    28 Alec Burleson
    29 Alvaro Seijas
    30 Seth Elledge
    31 Ricardo Sanchez
    32 Andre Pallante
    33 Griffin Roberts
    34 Jack Ralston
    35 Levi Prater
    36 Adanson Cruz
    37 Alex Fagalde
    38 Juan Yepez
    39 Justin Toerner
    40 Jesus Cruz
    41 Connor Jones
    42 Steven Gingery
    43 Edgardo Rodriguez
    44 Evan Mendoza
    45 Delvin Perez
    46 Rodard Avelino
    47 Rangel Ravelo
    48 Patrick Romeri
    49 Edgar Escobar
    50 Max Schrock

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Avatargrenadier1.
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Also, I might have missed it, but has anyone discussed the organization’s decision to have Malcom Nunez in the 60 at the ATS and not Jhon Torres? I assume it’s the dearth of major league ready OFs in the system, but it’s hard not to read some organizational priority into it. I generally see those two as being very similar types of prospect, but it seems safe to say the organization sees Nunez as a higher prospect than most of the rankings do.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

grenadier1 asked:

Also, I might have missed it, but has anyone discussed the organization’s decision to have Malcom Nunez in the 60 at the ATS and not Jhon Torres?

The Torres discussion was had, not in comparison with Nunez, but vs. Fletcher. Most of the same points apply. It was on page 4 of the “Summer Camp 60-Man Roster (Updated)” thread. Here is the link.

https://thecardinalnation.com/forums/topic/summer-camp-44-man-roster/page/4/

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Thanks Brian, good discussion. It does make more sense to compare apples to apples with Tre Fletcher, but for some reason Torres and Nunez are linked in my mind. I guess it’s the Peoria to JC track they shared last year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is Rob Rains’ Cardinals top 20 prospects:

With Carlson now in majors, childhood friends Gorman, Liberatore move to the top in annual re-ranking of Cardinals best prospects

An interesting set of rankings. He has Masyn Winn ahead of Jordan Walker. Winn has a fun profile as a two-way player, but Walker is more of a sure bet to reach his ceiling than Winn. Jake Burns and Franklin Soto in his top 20. Probably too premature to insert Edwin Nunez into the top 10 at this stage of his career. Although, I do like his ranking of Mateo Gil at No. 20.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by AvatarDerek Shore.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by AvatarDerek Shore.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see 2021 under only two guys…. Thompson and a late season call up for Oviedo. IMO, not close to what a consensus ranking will look like but I give him credit for putting it out at this place in time…. with his name on it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pre Covid, I would like to have seen the advancement of Gorman this year. He very well could be raking in Springfield now. Both he and Liberatore could have been much closer to the majors by now. Instead, it looks to be 2022 now. But, who knows, maybe some players will be pushed more aggressively next year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

How will rookie status be determined in 2020? Proration? So roughly multiply .375 by 150 at bats, or 50 innings?

Participant

Paid - Annual

2 questions.

How did the Cardinals and Pirates make trade after the trade deadline?

And where will Robles fit at this point in our top 50 prospects?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minor leaguers (non-40-man) are not subject to the MLB trade deadline.

Robles would not be in my top 30, but I haven’t given it a lot of time. Perhaps others have an opinion.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Robles fits somewhere above Prater, 35ish.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this Heineman signing is a sneaky good addition. Seems to be developing a little more power. And he should be far better than having Weiters as backup. In case Yadi doesn’t sign, and/or Knizner traded, there is a chance he could be a decent back up. Switch hitting, and adds valuable depth while Julio Rodriguez and Herrera cut their teeth at AA/AAA.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Heineman is one of those players whose career is hard to understand. I read a piece written by a San Francisco scribe that said he was darned good at throwing out runners and darned good at framing his pitches. He has had very little success offensively, though. But overall, his hitting in the minors, especially for a catcher, hasn’t been bad at all. Just looking over his stats, I’d say that he has mostly OPS’d between .700-.800, and his BA has averaged around .250. Plus, he hit 10 HR’s in only 184 PA’s while in the PCL last year. I don’t understand why a catcher like this winds up with 5 different teams in his eight year span since being drafted. I hope he gets a full fledged chance while he is here, assuming he doesn’t get taken by somebody in the Rule 5 draft.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He seems to be your classic AAAA player. If Yadi stays he is probably the starting catcher in Memphis. If Yadi leaves he might be Knizner’s backup in St. Louis.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years