Affiliate Observations 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate Observations 2020

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Strange that Spring Training games are televised, but Palm Beach’s Minor league games aren’t on tv. Also wondering who owns Palm Beach? Does the big club own them?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FOX Midwest takes their production equipment with them.

Palm Beach is owned by the MLB squad, but their fan attendance is way less than 1,000 per game (tickets sold were about 950 last year). The team is not promoted and likely, they don’t want to absorb the cost of running in-game streaming. Heck, go to their website and try to find a basic one-page schedule. (Hint: They don’t bother creating one.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have to copy their schedule from the screen right on to my affiliates calendar. No biggie I’m used to it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, anyone can figure out how to create their own schedule, but that is not the point.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is in my opinion a very good shoot from the hip analysis of the depth the Card’s organization has at the corner INF spots. It’s a piece from today’s VEB written bystlcardsfan4.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/2/24/21150393/organization-depth-1b-and-of

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is the Cards front office short of fresh perspective from the outside?

Goold was asked this question in his chat. While he agreed, he cited three examples to the contrary, AGMs Moises Rodriguez and Randy Flores and Dan Kantrovitz, now with the Cubs.

The examples don’t hold much water, IMO.

Rodriguez – has been with the Cards the last 12 years. Before that he worked in MLB HQ for a decade, but never for another MLB team.

Flores – has never worked for MLB or another team. (Same with Girsch.)

Kantrovitz – the former A’s AGM was offered a return to the Cards this winter, but got a better offer from the Cubs. He last worked for the Cards in 2014, so any influence by him is very old.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/new-blood-in-the-front-office/article_3ad4b243-9560-5893-96d5-4bc75cb6cd70.html

P.S. Farm director Gary LaRocque is an exception, with extensive Mets and Dodgers experience, but he has been with the Cards since 2008.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Whether you like Goold or not the PD’s “Quick Hits” is always a provocative post the day after his Q&A sessions such as the one that BW just submitted. I never miss checking it out because if you like other’s opinions it is a good spot for just that and is available all year round.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Plus, the P-D website gets 17 clicks for each time anyone views his quick hits! Still, it is faster and clearer than scrolling through six or seven pages of detailed chat.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

They better get this resolved before the Springfield Cardinals become a candidate for contraction because contraction is all about poor facilities right? (tounge in cheek)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The WBC should have its own topic listing.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Feel free to start one, then.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

At present I see 10 viable candidates for the five starting pitcher spots and 14 for the bullpen at AAA Memphis. The organization is still wildly top-heavy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals released 10 minor leagu players: pitchers Akeem Bostick, Martin Córdoba, Blake Drake, Mitchell Osnowitz, and Zach Prendergast and position players Chris Chinea, Yariel Gonzalez, Shane Benes, Stanley Espinal, and Andrew Warner.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Any surprises? Warner and Chinea perhaps? Maybe Gonzales too?

Participant

Paid - Annual

All things considered, the biggest surprise is that the list is only 10. There will be more releases before games are played… whenever. Age + ’19 performance + low ceiling + less teams = less need for potential MiLB-lifers. Not a fan of what is happening to the game and this very unfortunate onslaught just adds to the disappointment.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Giving this thread a bump. Also, BA updated their top 30 prospect list, now including all 2020 draft picks. Here are the Cardinals rankings as of now:

1. Carlson
    2. Liberatore
    3. Gorman
    4. Cabrera
    5. Helsley
    6. Herrera
    7. Thompson
    8. Walker
    9. Knizner
    10. Kim
    11. Thomas
    12. Montero
    13. Oviedo
    14. Winn
    15. Fernandez
    16. Woodford
    17. Torres
    18. Rodriguez
    19. Rondon
    20. Malcom Nunez
    21. Whitley
    22. Williams
    23. Gil
    24. Sosa
    25. Edwin Nunez
    26. Fletcher
    27. Hence
    28. Locey
    29. Burleson
    30. Elledge

Participant

Paid - Annual

Might be the best thread to ask this, few days ago in one of Brian’s articles had a schedule of when access, updates, and interviews might start flowing out of the Springfield camp mentioned. Can not put my finger on the information tonight, were we to start to hear some news this week.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m with you on this. Let’s put some pressure on BW & Co to get those reports, interviews, updates flowing.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is up to when the Cardinals are ready to entertain media access in Springfield. No word yet, but they said previously it would be this week.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There are reports that Thompson has developed a very good curveball that he didn’t have when he was drafted. IMO, Cabrera’s control would have to be much improved to be ahead of Thompson in this latest MLB ranking. I think Thompson and Cabrera should trade places in this ranking. I agree that Malcolm Nunez should be ranked as lot lower than he has been, and #20 is about right, IMHO.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think most have fallen in love with Cabrera’s stuff and miss the fact that he’s probably a reliever long term due to shady control. I would like to be wrong on that, although I think he can be an excellent back end of the bullpen guy.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years