2022 CBA negotiations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 CBA negotiations

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 446 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, it’s Zero Hour. Today is the day we find out whether Pugs is an utter genius or not. And it also happens to be my birthday today so the odds of Pugs success just went up..:)

r/Esteemed Rat<~~~~who is under the weather on his birthday

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Players and their families taking a more aggressive public stance.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh oh. Not dead yet though. A deal has to be agreed to, in principle, today. Play ball!

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I’d say that perhaps some of those players makes tens of millions a year could take less money and then those that make under 1 million could make more, there was a commentator on tv that said that the MLB would eventually have to have some sort of salary cap otherwise salaries would just get crazy, like a 500 or more million dollar contract and that the players wouldn’t actually be worth that and prices would get out of control…I know the players wouldn’t go for that but they could price themselves out of a job or some could…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It’s Zero Hour minus 6 – till midnight.

Looks like we aren’t going to have baseball until early May – at the earliest.

C’mon Pugs, don’t let me down. Ride in there on your white horse with a hearty “Hiyo Silver Away!”

r/Esteemed Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To think that there are players who can’t get enough traction at the major league level, to collect more than a measly $600K, and that there are ‘up for a cup of coffee’ players who only get to collect a paltry $100K for their hard work, is shocking. It’s just seems so unfair.

The solution to this lockout is simple. Just raise ticket prices by, say, an average amount of maybe $20 per ticket. That would allow a team like the Cardinals, with their 3,000,000 paying customers, to rake in an extra $60M per year. That should be enough to give both players and owners what they want. To hell with teams that don’t have 3,000,000 paying customers. The’ll just have to figure it out. We all know that baseball teams are bottomless pits full of money, so there ought to be a way for them to figure it out. And if those bottomless pits run out of money, owners can take money out of the billions they have stashed away in secret, tax-free, offshore accounts to sign players needed for fielding a winning team.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like today is the new deadline. Seems like there’s been some movement on both sides. Hopefully they can come to an agreement sometime during the day.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You just have to be bullish on baseball 2022 with the latest developments. I actually became a little bit nervous yesterday, but my angst appears to be without merit. Baseball, under no conditions, could weather the backlash of an incomplete 2022 campaign. Fortunately, I believe all concerned never lost sight of this. How about we play ball!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Complaining about players’ salaries is something that the owners always count on in the court of public opinion. But why do fans get angry if players make more money than joe six pack? Can joe six pack throw a baseball 95 mph or hit a baseball 400 feet? Probably not. We like to romanticize that players are just like us but they are not. They are incredible athletes that have skills that less than 1% of the population have, therefore, they are compensated accordingly. Some movie stars get $30M per movie but you don’t hear many people complain about it. The market rate is the market rate.

Players want a certain percentage of the revenue that the sport generates. The sport is a multi billion dollar industry so it stands to reason that the players would get a certain chunk of it since it is them that the fans pay to see. The fans don’t pay to see the owners.

Do I get frustrated when the Cardinals pay millions of dollars so Matt Carpenter can hit .175 or Brett Cecil can do nothing? Yes, I do but it is balanced out with young star players making the league minimum and these negotiations seem to be about trying to help out the younger players. There is no doubt that the owners won the previous CBA so it is understandable that the players are wanting to make some gains this time.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It amazes me that there are so many people who will form an opinion based on their personal preferences, then spin a narrative to support their opinion regardless of what the bigger picture looks like.

If the players gave up their demand for reducing arbitration eligibility by a year, as reported, then progress is being made since that was a non-starter for owners. As a fan I’m very relieved that reducing time to get to arbitration is no longer being considered. You watch these players get drafted and develop in the minors. Then they get to MLB, and you have to start worrying about how long they will be able to keep them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An owner can continue to keep a player for his entire career – but only if the owner is eventually willing to pay market value for him.

It all gets down to how many years one believes is fair to tie a player to the organization that drafted and developed him – while keeping his salary below his worth to other teams.

Right now, that is six years. The players aren’t trying to change that. They are trying to close the dollar gap between their managed pay level for those six years and what they are actually worth.

Just like anything in a free market society, something is worth what someone else will pay for it.

This is not a matter of affordability, but of expense control.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am guessing Mr. Passan has joined Mr. Rosenthal as writers banned from MLB Network…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB has canceled the first two series of the regular season. The Cardinals released a statement that they hope to hold the home opener on schedule on April 7.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I disagree that a player’s ‘worth’ is what someone else will pay for that player. No one, or everyone, is ‘worth’ $30M, or $700K, for that matter. This is not about worth. This is about activism and punishing billionaires for making too much money.

To say a player’s ‘worth is what someone else will pay’ reminds me of the moronic definition of insanity which says that insanity is ‘doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. That’s not insanity. That’s abject stupidity. Insanity has to do with destructive behavior.

I’m to the point now that I’d just as soon call off the whole season. Then, declare an impasse in the negotiations, and start all over from scratch. Everybody involved gets torched. But maybe out of the ashes a sensible and workable system for managing professional baseball could emerge.

In case it’s not obvious to some, I’ll say that I’m really pissed about this.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is about activism and punishing billionaires for making too much money.

I really don’t think this is the case. At any rate..in this case, what do the billionaires even bring to the game? I personally don’t care if they make ten times what they currently make; it’s the idea that they bring 0 value to the game while the players bring 100% of the value, and yet the owners act like they have something to add that any baseball fan cares about. If an owner fully financed their own stadium, then maybe they’d have an argument but the majority of owners (in all sports) hold their cities (read: fans) hostage with threats that if they don’t cough up several hundred million bucks every 20-30 years to finance their home, they will take their ball and go somewhere else. Then they have the audacity to pretend that they care about the fans. That’s bull. They care about their profits, end of story.

To be fair, the players pretty much only care about the same thing. So do I blame either side for wanting more money? No. It doesn’t mean I have to like it.

I wish there was a “Fans Union” that could step in and put an end to this nonsense. There’s literally no reason for canceled games. It’s mostly the fault of the owners, with a healthy dose on the players as well. The ones who get to take the brunt of it are, of course, the paying customers, once again.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was Albert worth what the Angels paid him? Was Carpenter, Fowler, etc. worth what the Cardinals paid for them?

I don’t think the last contract favored the owners that much. Some wised up and quit overpaying players who had reached and in many cases passed their peak years. I don’t see how that will change no matter what the contract calls for.

The unfairness is that pre-free agency and particularly pre-arbitration players are often underpaid compared to thier contribution. And that players are paid the minimum wage for multiple years no matter how good they play. And that some minor league players are paid so little that their diet is often unhealthy fast food. And finally in the end the fans pay the price and will do so until the price becomes too much to bear.

A large contribution to the unfairness is the huge contracts some free agents get and I’m not sure the players association doesn’t want to keep them and increase the younger players pay. That is sort of hoping for the best part of both ends of the equation. I have no problem with players capitalizing on their talents and getting what some owners will pay them. That is our economic system and however flawed it is still the most successful out there. The owners have control over the size of the contracts in the end but some understandingly cave to avoid fan displeasure. If you don’t think that is prevelant just look at the chat pages during the season. However, some are not too smart and others have so much revenue they don’t care if they have several bad contracts laying around.

You have to ask yourself who could we have signed or traded for had so much not been tied up on Carpenter, Fowler et.al. Further question would be would our management team use the money.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 – I’m guessing that you’re just as pissed about what’s happening as I am.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

These are Ken Rosenthal quotes.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Manfred has more time now to work on his golf game.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 446 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.