2022 CBA negotiations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 CBA negotiations

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 440 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some reasonable things that both sides would like, but some things that you’d think won’t fly.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32758345/major-league-baseball-players-union-no-closer-deal-collective-bargaining-agreement-set-expire-sources-say

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the players might get arbitration earlier or free agency earlier but not both. They need decide which they would rather have.

I don’t mind expanding the playoffs but please don’t do the pick your opponent fiasco. Would they hire Vince McMahon to do the announcement?

I really don’t think either side has much motivation to do a deal anytime soon. There is no major financial impact until games are missed so I don’t see anything happening until March. We will probably be twiddling our thumbs the next three months after midnight tonight.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the players might get arbitration earlier or free agency earlier but not both. They need decide which they would rather have.

I’m sure that most players would take free agency earlier, given the choice. It wouldn’t help balance the disparity between the value of the young players as much, but I think we have seen a move toward that anyway with the Tatis Jr and Franco deals. They are extraordinary examples of course, but they still got stellar deals.

A good compromise would be three years of minimum, 2 years of arb and free agency with automatic free agency at 29.5. I hope that’s what they come to.

On the other proposals, I agree with the silliness of picking opponents. I like the idea of making two divisions, 6 teams from each league make the playoffs. The division winners get byes and then the other four are seeded by record, with the next two seeds getting 3 home games. It would be an incentive to play hard to the finish as that’s a nice bonus and doesn’t really benefit the 5 and 6 seed much as they’d probably lose most series. I would still worry that a bunch of 81-83 win teams would make it. I guess it would benefit that middle of the pack that is around 75-85 wins…they’d have reason to spend a little more to either make the playoffs or boost their seed a little.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

7 minute meeting? That’s really a lot of effort, NOT. I really dislike both sides.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

MLB teams have removed the photos of players from MLB websites lol. How petty.

The owners want to break the union so set in for a long cold winter and a shortened season if there is one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A good reminder whose side MLB.com and MiLB.com are on. Not the places for unbiased commentary.

Sieg
    Participant

Free

The union needs to be broken. These outrageous salaries are making it impossible for the average fans to attend games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, Sieg. It is a seemingly impossible problem to solve. Do you really think that if players agreed to take less money that owners would drop ticket and concession prices? That Bally Sports Midwest would lower its price, etc? That genie isn’t going back into the bottle as much as we’d like it to.

Neither side cares about the fans.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mr. Pouliot hits the nail on the head.

Sieg
    Participant

Free

I quit watching NBA and NFL games because of wokeness and a blatant disregard for the fans. MLB is next on my list. Expanded playoffs is insane!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The union needs to be broken. These outrageous salaries are making it impossible for the average fans to attend games.

I have ocean front property in South Dakota to sell you if you think busting the union is going reduce the cost to attend games.

Sieg
    Participant

Free

It won’t reduce the cost of attending games. It might help keeping them from skyrocketing. How much for that ocean front property?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone actually believe there will be an abbreviated season? The regular season will start on time. These guys are not insanely ignorant people. These are truly unique times and to stiff the fans with a work stoppage at this juncture would result in tremendous damages to both parties. I pay about as much attention to this situation as I do to Bigfoot sightings, as neither are or are going to be happening things.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well worth reading this article from The Sporting News…

“MLB lockout blame game: Why fans usually side with owners during a labor dispute”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Bernie Miklasz: (And I bet these numbers exclude money-making related businesses like Ballpark Village.)

Twenty-five years ago, the players had a 52 percent share of the revenue compared to 48 percent for the owners. The owners weren’t happy with that, so they pushed the players for concessions in future CBA negotiations.

The owners got their way, chiseling away to hold player salaries down, relative to the overall revenue gushing in. And now? According to the great baseball writer Peter Gammons, today the split is 57 percent owners, 43 percent players.

I don’t fault the players for trying to level that out.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/bernie-as-baseballs-players-and-owners-slug-it-out-how-much-will-they-damage-the-game/

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Here’s how dumb the league and teams are being about the lockout. They’ve not only removed the player’s pictures but they’ve also removed all news articles and have scrubbed the player’s named on their games with promotions. Like, why?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I always like how people bring up some of the salaries as to why the union needs busted. It would be far more constructive to look at what the players on the other end of the spectrum are making which is the majority of the players. I mean nobody forced the Mets to give sherzer 43 million a season. Every time the players get something in a contract that benefits them, the owners will pull out all kind of shenanigans to go around that.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I hope I’m wrong but I can’t remember the two sides being this far apart, this uncivil towards one another and this seemingly unmovable from their positions. I’m not sure spring training will start in February or March. I don’t think the owners care if there is an abbreviate season or no season.I very much hope I’m wrong.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It does not feel like there is any sense of urgency now. February will be here before we know it and I bet this will still be unresolved. Like nate, I hope my pessimism will be disproven, but I wouldn’t put my money on it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Letter from Manfred (and the owners):

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Letter from the Cardinals. (They also texted us and said all team employees will not communicate with the media “due to the potential legal ramifications”. So we are locked out too. I hope I get a raise when this is resolved!!!)

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Damn.

Brian I hope you grabbed your jacket before they locked you out, lol.

Are there any professional mediators / arbitrators involved at this point or is it just the two sides at this point?

Looks like everyone has gone to their corners for now……

Pork Twain
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure the billionaire owners are not to blame, but rather the players, on whose backs the billions are made. This is like trying to blame an increase in minimum wage for raising prices, but not the billionaire owners or the millionaire CEOs, CFOs, etc… Brilliant!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 440 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years