2022 CBA negotiations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 CBA negotiations

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 440 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In 2001 Pujols made 200K his rookie season. In 2021 Sosa made 570.5K as the minimum. Next season a full service year will pay 700K to rookies.

Pretty healthy raises.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Conclusion: They were all underpaid relative to their contributions. As will the best players this season making $700K.

That is the point.

In 2021, the cost of buying 1 WAR on the free agent market was $5.5 million. Sosa gave the Cards 1.6 fWAR last season for his $570K. Really good investment by the team.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

While I think the players deserve to be paid more in the early years when they play well, what happens if a player like Sosa falls on his face for the next 2 years? If he gets paid well because he performed in 2021, his salary can’t be cut very much if he doesn’t perform well in 2022. Usually, the book is still out on players until they have 3-4 years under their belt.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I am glad this is over but it won’t solve some of the key issues, IMO. They need to force teams who receive revenue sharing to put every dollar into player salaries. The only line item the team can use it for is salary, not benefits or anything else. That would do far more to raising the salaries for the middle tier players since a team would have to spend on someone. The team would also want to do a short term deal to keep their salary structure fluid as revenue sharing changes from year to year.

Raising the CBT threshold only helps the few teams that can afford to spend. A majority of teams still won’t spend that much more. If they do, it will only be for a year or 2 at the most while they try to win a world series.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My understanding on this point is that the Cardinal players voted against the deal, not the organization. At least if I read it correctly.

That is correct.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are we going to have the exact same 2022 schedule that came out last year?

Pretty much. The schedule will start as is on April 7. The two series from March 31-April 6 will be made up by adding three games at the end of the season and by adding some doubleheaders.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

So, nearly half of baseball gets into the playoffs. Yippy. So exciting.

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Watered down Title. All you have to do is get hot at the right time. Gotta love it.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Correct me if I am wrong here.

The shift will be allowed in 2022, right?

The bases will NOT be enlarged until 2023, right?

More than likely these two things will go into affect in 2023 as I understand it.

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

WAR is calculated using each offseasons FA signings. It was 7.9mil per win according to Fangraphs, for 2021.

Unless you are suggesting pre-arb players should be paid like FA’s BW, I don’t see the need to compare Sosa to a FA value dollar metric, nor is it appropriate.

I’ve always looked at pre-arb players salaries as a way of paying back the investment the club has made signing and developing them. Not just the players that accrue mlb service time, but all players signed, even the washouts.

I agree with the pre-arb system as affordable team control years, and do not think they are underpaid. Pay your dues, earn your Arb years and free agency.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Correct me if I am wrong here.

The shift will be allowed in 2022, right?

The bases will NOT be enlarged until 2023, right?

More than likely these two things will go into affect in 2023 as I understand it.

I think that is correct.

By all indications the base enlargement, the ban of the infield shift, and the pitch clock will be implemented in 2023.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinal players voted against the deal, Andrew Miller was probably one of the players leading the negative charge. I’m glad we’re finally rid of him. He took our money, and gave us next to nothing in return.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

With expanded playoffs why do they need the 162 game season to separate the wheat from the chaff?

Answer: They don’t.

It’s the $$$$$, as always.

Almost every team will remain in the playoff picture until the last week or so. Have to be really, really bad to not be a playoff ‘contender’.

Ah well, change happens – not always for the best but not all changes are bad either….

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

If the Cardinal players voted against the deal, Andrew Miller was probably one of the players leading the negative charge. I’m glad we’re finally rid of him. He took our money, and gave us next to nothing in return.

Paul Goldschmidt was also active in the negotiations and may be the team’s union rep now that Miller is no longer a Cardinal.

I get why you don’t like Miller the pitcher, FWIW…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just putting this here for quick reference…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Beginning in 2023 the schedule will be changed where each team will play all of the other 29 teams at least one series.

In a detailed column about the CBA, Stark adds some details about the schedule changes that will begin in 2023. While it had been previously reported that teams would play all 29 of the other squads in the league each year, with the number of divisional games being reduced, the details were not known at the time. Stark lays out the format that will begin next year, with each team playing its divisional rivals 14 times per season, down from 19, for a total of 56. Teams in the same league but not the same division will be played six times each, a total of 60. When it comes to interleague play, each team has a “rival” that they will play four times, with three games against the other 14 teams in the opposite league. That amounts to 46 total interleague games. All of those categories are evenly split between road and home, except for the final one. In the case of the 14 non-rival teams that are in the opposite league, the home team for the three-game series will alternate from year to year.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

All I can say is…….Whatever happened to the American League and National League???

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only difference died with the full acceptance of the designated hitter.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for all of the emails gang! Been a busy few days at work and have not had time for many replies. Yes, more predictions will be forthcoming. Right now I’m in the midst of getting all of the necessary data together in regards to who our Cards will be tabbing first in this year’s draft. Long way to go and plenty of high school and collegiate games to be played, but as they say, the early bird gets the worm. And KsCardFan……you hang in there! You’re a great guy and a tremendous fan. I think this is going to be a fun year for we Cardinal fans. Looking forward to you hopefully adding your valued input in our Game Thread “What’s For Din-din” segments this year. Play ball!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That no vote makes more sense now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Flaherty seems like a good choice to be the union rep as he is injured so often now that playing baseball won’t interfere with his union duties.

Maybe he just wants out of Saint Louis. I’m not sure he’s not more of a California person…..

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well then

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Rosters return to 26 on May 2nd? What are the rosters before May 2nd?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

28 Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 440 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years