2022 CBA negotiations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 CBA negotiations

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 440 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB is proposing free agency eligibility at age 29.5 and replacing arbitration with something not yet defined.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am going to bump this thread so it is easier to find. As soon as the world series is over, possibly tonight, this will probably become the dominant thread because most mlb activity will grind to a halt until this CBA is resolved. Unfortunately I expect it to drag on for several more months.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let the craziness begin.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

That is IMO partially caused by MLB becoming”woke” and backing BLM. I know several people that won’t watch MLB because of that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is IMO partially caused by MLB becoming”woke” and backing BLM. I know several people that won’t watch MLB because of that.

I am not sure what you are referring to but I am referring to the craziness of the ongoing and upcoming CBA negotiations. The two sides don’t seem to agree on hardly anything at this point but I don’t think it has anything to do with national politics. It is more to do with each side trying to win over as many economic advantages it can for their own respective side.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, let’s please keep the discussion on track – the CBA negotiations between players and owners. Thanks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The labor agreement expires in two weeks…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there is no agreement by the end of December 1 will all baseball activity essentially be frozen? No signings, no trades, no winter meetings, no Cardinal winter warmup, etc..?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Tick tock goes the clock.

I think there will be a 4-8 week lock out then they will get it settled.

What we really need is a return to sanity.

I’d like to see a hefty revenue shrinkage (50%) across the board in all the major professional sports.

The MASSIVE money leads to hugely inflated egos and an overblown sense of self-importance on all sides.

At the end of the day all these people are is entertainers and I think most of them have lost sight of that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see a hefty revenue shrinkage (50%) across the board in all the major professional sports.

But that is the opposite of what is going on. Growing revenue is all that leagues think about. That is why we have no scheduled doubleheaders, no world series games at night, local tv blackouts, expanded playoffs, longer commercial breaks, etc…..

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A good explanation, albeit detailed, about the matter of arbitration, service time and free agent eligibility, which is likely the stickiest issue on the bargaining table. (Warning: If you don’t care about WAR, then just move on…)

bccran
    Participant

Right, Mudville. Fans can take only so much. Fans have struggled and sacrificed during this pandemic, and will be disgusted by the greed on both sides of this negotiation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So as long as things are settled by March 31 everything is cool right?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Isn’t next week just about Zero Hour – somewhat?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A long, cold winter ahead…

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Wasn’t there a split season in ’81 where the Cards had the over all best record in the NL but didn’t win the division in either half of the season and so did not make the playoffs?

Here is an idea. Each team splits the profit 50-50 with the players and all contracts are essentially performance based with some baseline mi nimum based on years of ML service with A, AA, and AAA counting as .25, .50, and .75 respectively.

The BL min = $100,000k plus $100,000k per year of ML service. Any money a player makes above that is earned by being above the current year’s league average in WAR with all above average WAR players on a particular team splitting 50% of that team’s profits on a pro rata basis.

Performing below average in WAR will not reduce a player’s base salary but if a team makes no money then there is nothing to split among the WAR+ players. Ownership and FO salaries are set and equal across all teams to reduce monkey business.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The above obviously won’t work because then all the best players would end up with the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, other ‘big market’ teams.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is difficult for me to choose sides in these negotiations because I don’t like hard headed extremists, which both sides have. I think the owners deserve to make a profit and I think the players deserve their fair share of the revenue. What I don’t like are negotiators who are so hardline that it is “my way or the highway.” Hopefully both sides will come to their senses and realize that some compromise will be necessary because if games are lost the harm to the game could be immense.

Most likely there will be some movement to either allow players to get to arbitration sooner or to free agency sooner but not both. There should also probably be some kind of salary cap and salary floor.

We can hope a resolution is reached before March 1 so spring training can commence. I wouldn’t expect much movement before then because it usually takes deadlines to get people moving.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

This is just a lot of haggling among a bunch of rich people (except for the unfortunate minor leaguers) to see who will get even richer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point..

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Picking your own playoff opponent? Utterly stupid.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know the owners see the expanded playoffs as monetary bonanza, but I really abhor the idea of having almost half the league make the playoffs. The MLB season is already long enough to separate out the chaff. 6 teams in each league is more than plenty. 5 teams is excessive too, IMO.

The one proposal I do like is the draft lottery. I would expand it beyond the first three picks to include at least half the non playoff teams. There’s no reason to incentivize playing to lose.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stlcard25, you have a good idea with that last part. Need to be try to curtail this losing mentality to gain. I’m all for teams that understand that the coming season may not be their best chance so they decide rather than going all in, they work on their team so they are better next year or after but just blowing it up and still expecting fans to walk through door is wrong. I also think letting teams pick their opponents is stupid and I totally don’t think we need more playoff teams. It will just encourage more teams to settle for just being mediocre and still having the shot at playoffs. Plus the better free agents will go to even less teams given that teams may be less willing to pay more since you basically have a fifty fifty shot to make playoffs regardless. Could go other way but I doubt it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Picking your own playoff opponent? Utterly stupid.

I totally agree Rat. It makes MLB look like a WWE sideshow, a three ring circus. Not professional at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 440 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.