2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 451 through 475 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Appreciate the info and in-game commentary while I am at work. It is really going to be a shame if Nog doesn’t make the team. Its not always about baseball.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Pugs has ever had such a gourmet feast?

Ah ah ah. Our Din-Din chat is reserved ONLY for our regular and post season game threads, Rat. Not for exhibition play. And for you newbies out there, once that first regular season pitch has been hurled, all horseplay ceases…..except our “What’s For Din-Din” feature. Speaking of “newbies”, where in blazes are they? It seems each winter we pick up at least 10 of them. But this year…..I can’t think of one. Off the top of my head, only two possible reasons for this come to mind. Could the pandemic have kept our new recruits at bay? And secondly, unlike past winters, your’s truly and Rat have pretty much been in hibernation. That’s one mighty big lure not dangling out there in the Cardinal Nation pool.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thursday lineup:

Edman 2B
    Goldschmidt 1B
    Arenado 3B
    DeJong SS
    O’Neill LF
    Williams RF
    Knizner C
    Thomas CF
    Ponce de Leon RHP

Other Ps: Whitley, Helsley, Gallegos

Participant

Paid - Annual

Enough of these pantywaists, send in Nog we need a base runner.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Its 3-0 Houston after 8 innings. Obviously neither Avocado or Carpenter have not got off the schneid tonight as well.

r/Esteemed Rat

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2 hits

We can focus on Carp and whoever else but the whole team is retry miserable at the dish.

Even with Arenado we look basically the same. Punch less and not even slap hitters with no power.

So boring to watch or listen to.

Participant

It’s worrisome, Jager. OF was 0 for 8.
    Not worried about the IF.

Participant

Free

It’s worrisome, Jager. OF was 0 for 8.
    Not worried about the IF.

Of the eight players who are “qualified” for hitting in spring training, two of the top three are outfielders. Spring Training Stats

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m worried about the whole offense

Have we had even ONE ST game where a guy just “went off”…maybe Nogowski’s 3 hit game is the closest thing, maybe an early Oneill game… but other than that anything exciting? I mean i don’t care if it is just teeing off on a minor leaguer. nothing. Out side of an occasional HR, which is not much different than what the offense was last year

Yes I am supposed to be saying… “it’s just Spring Training”…but look at other teams…star players usually at least have a couple games where they look like stars…even in spring training… and that has nothign to do with the “non-stars” who show up for a couple days

At least Edman showed up to claim the leadoff spot and ONeill gave us hope for 2 spots in the OF being ok

-Goldy and Arenado haven’t done anything but show up
    -Yadi i have no reason to doubt will be solid at what he is expected to do and i dont care about the offense
    -Williams looks to be the best of the other OF spots and that isn’t all that great
    -DeJong looks exactly the same as he has the last year…and that is pretty inconsistent at best
    -Carlson looks to be growing and we expect a lot but progress is what we should be expecting, not carrying the team or solving all it’s offensive issues

The team looks like another year of “accidental” offense, accidental HRs “accidental” hits, no consistency.

I applaud the Arenado deal to get us SOME more consistency, but alone that deal is hollow and does nothign to fix the problems. We knew the OF was bad and we did nothign to improve it other than HOPE.

A guy like David Peralta for RF, or maybe a guy like Marte from MIA would be great to add just a bit more surety.

Starling Marte is on an expiring contract right? Seems a decent target, he’s 32 and hits for good average, enough power and decent speed.

May not be long term would provide stability.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

As a side note……the weather forecast for SW Indiana for mid-late next week is for some pretty cool weather. Highs in the 40s. Unless something changes – which it may very well – the temps for Opening Day in Cincinnati might be on the cool to cold side.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Really appreciate the weather update for SW Indiana, Rat…… it’s just what we needed. Quick programming note: Your’s truly went 6 innings weak in the PBP saddle last night in a virtual reality affair, which pitted Ball State vs Bemidji State. A very unusual night behind the mic indeed. It was one error after another…. mispronouncing players names…. issuing incorrect score and ball & strike counts….coughing at the drop of a hat…. inexplicably speaking Spanish in the middle of an inning….and maybe the worst infraction….cussing in French like a sailor everytime Ball State booted the ball….which was four times in the 3rd inning alone. As we all know, Brian has a very short leash in regards to those kind of matters, so it’s an issue that I need to get resolved prior to Opening Day. I chalk it up to just one of those bad days. Even Wade Boggs swung and missed ever now and then. I’m thinking one more tune-up this weekend and I should be good to go for the opener…… hopefully. If I can’t get a handle on things soon, I will NOT risk poking the bear(Brian), so I’ll just have to delay my initial PBP effort until ready.

Participant

Free

Hey Pugs! Is cussing in French allowed? I’m a pretty fair hand at Gallic blue streaks.

Participant

Well stated, thejager. The truth hurts.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

We need impact bats, no serviceable ML average. If a guy looks like he may become a solid ML average outfielder, get what we can for him and give the playing time to the next possibility. If a guy has been in the organization for 6 or 8 years and hasn’t broken out it time to look elsewhere.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is Fletcher making his last start of the spring in this one?

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty allowed a run in the first after getting two quick outs. Goldy ties it with a solo HR in the bottom of the 1st off Alcantara.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

KK in and getting pummeled. Back to back triples to make it 2-1 Marlins.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey Pugs! Is cussing in French allowed?

Only if one resides in France, Cardinal In France. Especially so in your case, since you reside in France’s high rent region (The South of France). Anyway I know that our Mods are not fluent in French, so we pretty much should have carte blanche in unleashing a verbal French tirade if the situation warrants such. The only French word that UCONN knows is “gateau” for “cake”. The only French word Brian knows is “Cardinaux” for “Cardinals”. And BicycleMike is absolutely clueless with the French lingo……..but do not dare try to slide any Spanish past Mike.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Nogowski’s .526 OBP. A man among boys.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was in France for around 10 days when I was Jr. High age, 12-13??. My uncle took me along on a family vacation. I did not care for it. Here are the memories still burned into my brain 50 years later. I did not like the food. The people smelled funny. And all of Paris smelled like a urinal. I remember little else besides the Eiffel Tower. I have often wondered what I would think if I returned now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I did not like the food. The people smelled funny. And all of Paris smelled like a urinal. I have often wondered what I would think if I returned now.

You would undoubtedly think of how it so closely compared with your experiences at Wrigley Field, Bling.

Cardinal In France lives in an exquisite part of France. And his din-dins are to die for….as our newbies will soon find out in our regular season game threads.

Participant

Free

The Cardinals lose tonight 6-4, but show up with the bats. They had 15 hits. They still struggled to score since the hits were not consistently strung together.

Arenado raised his batting average 27 points and his OPS by 77 points in this game. DeJong may need to be moved from #4. He has continued to struggle this spring and has Ked at a 33% rate.

Participant

Free

Yeah, right now I think you have Tyler O’Neil batting 4th and Dylan Carlson batting 5th.

Participant

Free

I would be tempted to go:

Edman
    Carlson
    Goldschmidt
    Arenado
    O’Neill
    Molina
    DeJong
    last OF
    P

Viewing 25 posts - 451 through 475 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years